Faraday Pouch for my Cupra Lux - recommendations?

GaryPL

Apr 27, 2019
How about filling the moat with frickin' sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their frickin' heads?

latest

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
i got 2 of theses (remember 1 for your spare key)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071DP4KTZ/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

they work, and are big enough for my keys, i have a lot of keys and things on my keyring(about 14 items)

I use one of these (although not keyless any more) but it means I can keep car keys on the right hand bit and all work keys alarm fobs etc. on the left bit then separate it if go out or over the weekend. Should then enable just the key to go in the pouch?
s-l1000.jpg

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
Ok so I have been looking at different options however I’m starting to find the obvious staring me in the face.If I have to buy a faraday pouch what’s the point of keyless and how does it benefit me.

Surely it means getting the key out of the pouch to open and start car and putting it away when locking and walking away.i have to carry this pouch and have one at home and faff around with it to deal with the car or ensure it’s safe.

I may as well click the open button and close button,I think that would even be quicker no ?

Keyless should be secure so it takes that tiny hassle of locking/unlocking/ignition otherwise surely the negatives outweighs the positive?

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
Ok so I have been looking at different options however I’m starting to find the obvious staring me in the face.If I have to buy a faraday pouch what’s the point of keyless and how does it benefit me.

Surely it means getting the key out of the pouch to open and start car and putting it away when locking and walking away.i have to carry this pouch and have one at home and faff around with it to deal with the car or ensure it’s safe.

I may as well click the open button and close button,I think that would even be quicker no ?

Keyless should be secure so it takes that tiny hassle of locking/unlocking/ignition otherwise surely the negatives outweighs the positive?
If your key is not moved for a while the system is clever enough to realise you’re not going to be unlocking your car and keyless will be disabled. I’m not sure how long ‘for a while’ is.
I guess it’s all about risk. If you’re parked in a secure area with key and car well separated I guess the risk is low.
Regular fobs aren’t immune to security breaches. There are just different considerations with keyless.

Reactions: SRGTD

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
If your key is not moved for a while the system is clever enough to realise you’re not going to be unlocking your car and keyless will be disabled. I’m not sure how long ‘for a while’ is.
I guess it’s all about risk. If you’re parked in a secure area with key and car well separated I guess the risk is low.
Regular fobs aren’t immune to security breaches. There are just different considerations with keyless.

Some car manufacturers are starting to introduce these ‘sleeping’ key fobs, but I’m not sure Seat have introduced them yet on the Leon - one way to find out though is to try and open the car with the key fob in range after the fob hasn’t been moved ‘for a while’. On newer model Seats, it is possible to temporarily disable keyless though. This is the procedure for VW which I assume is the same for Seat. If it doesn’t work on a car with keyless, then the car was probably built before this temporary disabling function was introduced;

‘Temporarily deactivating Keyless Access
Keyless Access can be deactivated temporarily as described below so that the vehicle cannot be unlocked and started due to misuse by unauthorised third parties.
Lock the vehicle with the ‘lock’ button in the vehicle key.
In addition, touch the keyless sensor on the door handle once within five seconds. Do not reach into the door handle.
Keyless Access is now temporarily deactivated.
Check deactivation by waiting for at least ten seconds and then pull the door handle again. It should not be possible to open the door.

When the vehicle is next unlocked, it can be unlocked only using the vehicle key. The keyless locking and starting system Keyless Access is reactivated the next time the vehicle is unlocked’.

I personally think any benefits of keyless are outweighed by the potential security risks and given the choice, keyless isn’t an option I would specify.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)

I have said this from the off, the keyless fob is a solution to a problem that did not exist, and they want to charge you extra for it (only Cupra Lux gets it) for less security and more inconvenience. Now if they made the fob check that it was always within 20 metres of the car at all times, then that would fix it and only then would I consider maybe paying extra for that so called benefit of not having to push a button, like I have done for the last umpteen years.

Deathjam

Aug 24, 2015
Leeds-ish
Is that for all keyfobs, or did this only come in on certain models or year, ie facelift

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
Is that for all keyfobs, or did this only come in on certain models or year, ie facelift
I’m not sure. It’s mentioned in the latest online manual.
Maybe checking back through manuals might indicate when it came in.
This is what it says for keyless exactly:
To improve the safety of your vehicle, the remote control of the system is equipped with a position sensor. If this remote control does not detect movement for a certain length of time, the system will conclude that the vehicle cannot be opened (e.g. on a night table) so it will be disabled

OptimusDecline

Feb 24, 2016
Scotland
Guys

Reading the news that car theft is at a 7 year high, mainly due to technology thefts, I want to minimise the risk of my car adding to the stats.

Can you recommend any brands/types of Faraday Pouch or shall I just buy something of Amazon/E-bay etc?

Thanks

If its just to keep your car safe from theft when at your house, your cheapest option is to line a box and its lid with tin foil.

JSM Cupra

Mar 26, 2019
I know Auto Express did a test of these not too long ago, I can’t recall the winner but a quick check should give you the results. I bought one for my wife!s car and it works very well as you can always check by walking up to the car and trying to open it while it’s in the pouch. They are pretty inexpensive but ideal for when at home and when leaving at work or a car park all day. Usually I take the remote out the bag as I’m leaving office or home to enable remote unlocking

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
Disklabs Key Shield (KS1) Faraday Bag - RF Shielding for Car Keys
On amazon this is about £30 but has a Secure By Demand tag which means it’s recomended by police and has been tested which I’m considering.

All others are like £6 but I see so many reviews of it does not work or stops working after few months

PaulusB

Jun 9, 2019
Faraday bags will crack overtime end let signals enter the bag again a solid solution is the best thing.

At my firm we test these bags.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
Do the new keyless have the sleep key feature ?

Can you disable keyless like the golf R by locking car and pressing door handle lock ?

I have asked dealer as insurance premiums are set to go up as this is now included in the safety report stating the cars are high risk of theft

Annoying as I just wanted the push to start and don’t mind pressing button to open lol