Nizza

May 17, 2019
Pictures help....
52aa727e0b7991d091601862997ec08b.jpg
9d2a618fcd30ea0d4fa6948230ca8dcf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Just put in an order for 5l of Mobil 1, a filter and a magnetic sump plug, just to add an oil change to the list of things I can do by myself. Driving to the Netherlands in a couple of weeks so I'd rather everything's tip top before I put more miles on the car in a day than I normally do in 6 months.

That said, I'm now looking at honeycomb grills... :drool:

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018

Check this out. Very very nice mod for our mk1. Surprised this hasn't happened before this.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Ya I saw this! I wanted to do that for my car.

I was actually gonna make a thread on here to find any info if anyone has done it. What are the benefits of going to a strut style setup vs the spring and shock

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Ya I saw this! I wanted to do that for my car.

I was actually gonna make a thread on here to find any info if anyone has done it. What are the benefits of going to a strut style setup vs the spring and shock

lots more control. I'm looking into it, messaged and stuff. Need to replace my suspension so I'm looking to go this way.

Nizza

May 17, 2019
Well...

Roof scoop cut in and sealed up - really didn’t want to put one in but poly windows don’t let a whisp of air in!! - sealant needs a top smooth coat ha ha
Then finished cutting all the doors out needs some more on the back ones and the tailgate needs doing.
Sorted cables to open doors.
Fitted door cards
Mounted the clocks
Fitted the dump valve - sounds awesome
Hoovered all the grinding dust and wiped down all interior
Washed it
Drove it

She dosent look too bad now.

Will put more and better pics up tomorrow
5ccf39362b0e3ac382ab363e129d366f.jpg
4bf0c6b65b0f8310b7b854894883686f.jpg
d8d8d8e137d5fd105a8e62e97aa3f3c1.jpg

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
Well...

Roof scoop cut in and sealed up - really didn’t want to put one in but poly windows don’t let a whisp of air in!! - sealant needs a top smooth coat ha ha
Then finished cutting all the doors out needs some more on the back ones and the tailgate needs doing.
Sorted cables to open doors.
Fitted door cards
Mounted the clocks
Fitted the dump valve - sounds awesome
Hoovered all the grinding dust and wiped down all interior
Washed it
Drove it

She dosent look too bad now.

Will put more and better pics up tomorrow
5ccf39362b0e3ac382ab363e129d366f.jpg
4bf0c6b65b0f8310b7b854894883686f.jpg
d8d8d8e137d5fd105a8e62e97aa3f3c1.jpg

I look forward to the pictures tomorrow mate! Makes me wanna go to the Nurburgring with you! Just to see your car

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
I need technical explanations ... I want very complicated scientific words that I don’t understand. What do you mean by more control

Nizza

May 17, 2019
I look forward to the pictures tomorrow mate! Makes me wanna go to the Nurburgring with you! Just to see your car

3rd August be there!!!

Yes it’s coming together nicely. Donnington Park Tuesday night as a proving session.

Manic172

https://m.facebook.com/ManicMotorsport1
Dec 4, 2018
Hemel hempstead
www.seatcupra.net
lots more control. I'm looking into it, messaged and stuff. Need to replace my suspension so I'm looking to go this way.

Can some one explain how this would give more control. If you got shorter shocks then yes they can fall out but if you have a proper set up then they won't fall out.
As for being a coil over on a beam axle i can't really see the benefits of it . You get adjustable platforms with your springs in the normal set up and a helper spring too.
It won't change the adjustability of it all
I am just lost on why the extra work for the little if any benefits

Nizza

May 17, 2019
Can some one explain how this would give more control. If you got shorter shocks then yes they can fall out but if you have a proper set up then they won't fall out.
As for being a coil over on a beam axle i can't really see the benefits of it . You get adjustable platforms with your springs in the normal set up and a helper spring too.
It won't change the adjustability of it all
I am just lost on why the extra work for the little if any benefits

I watched the video too and wondered this also.

It would be nice for some further clarification or even real time testing for a direct comparison. One coilover set up vs one conventional set up.

Reactions: Manic172

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
Looks like we are all wondering the same thing. Just from a geometry standpoint the only thing I can see that might benefit is having the spring and shock dampening and rebound in one location that way the forces acting back and forth are coming from the same angle of attack onto the control arm. Better travel or more consistent dampening and rebound throughout the travel range maybe? Just trying to think about it on the engineering side of things.

Spring and shock separated are done for economical money saving purposes not performance so there must be a reason a McPherson or strut style suspension is better other than saving space.

Reactions: Manic172

Manic172

https://m.facebook.com/ManicMotorsport1
Dec 4, 2018
Hemel hempstead
www.seatcupra.net
But if that's so with the very slight feeling difference... then it wouldn't be felt in a road car. It would be for a race car.. 99% per cent of people who I have seen do track days can't set a car up. Fist is lowers the shocks to they bottom out and then adjust to full camber.... then in their minds "I got a racing car.. I go really really fast"
Didn't touch tracking . Tyre pressures or look at track temp ambient temp moisture on track etc. But I got camber and I now a track hero.. that is the impression I got from the old saxo sites I was on when racing the saxo.
But even now I still see track cars where people put say set of toyo r888r. Full camber. You ask about tyre pressures and I got told don't matter brov I got toyo tyres.....

Reactions: Nizza

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Totally agree Mamic , camber , castor, toe in/out , corner weights , rake , spring rate, damping/rebound , anti roll bar settings all defeat most people (including some so called suspension setup companies !!).

Just leave it all stock and tune the engine for 1100 horespower's .....you'll go soooo much faster.

Reactions: Manic172 and Nizza
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members