Infotainment system freezing/rebooting/unreliable?

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Hello everyone.

I wondered if anyone else has the same intermittent issues that I have in my 2 week old Cupra R ST.

I’ve noticed odd behaviour with the infotainment system on occasions (maybe about a quarter of the time).

The issues are pretty varied.

Sometimes the map will not be able to be sent the the digital cockpit, it will just say ‘starting map view’ and never load, until a restart of the ignition. The map on the main screen can work fine at this time.

Sometimes pressing the Cupra button will not bring up the driving mode selection screen.

Oftentimes the car will not connect to my iPhone (full link/apple car play) and requires several unplug/reconnect attempts to get connected.

I’ve had a couple of complete reboots just of the infotainment system whilst driving along for no apparent reason.

Sometimes I only have 1 page of icons on my infotainment screen and it’s missing 2 icons. Not worked out which ones yet as I’m usually driving and not had chance to narrow it down.

I’d say on the whole about 1/4 of the times I start the car up and drive off something is not quite working as it should !!!!
The inability to connect to Carplay is the most frequent though. I’ve tried 3x official cables and reset carplay on my phone but no joy.

Is this normal behaviour for these systems?

Is there a ‘safe’ shutdown/reboot procedure of the infotainment system to make it more reliable ??

I have feeling some of the non carplay issues above are a result of me trying to change the digital cockpit view before the system hasn’t booted fully but not sure.

Any advice welcomed

PS oh I updated the maps after a couple of days using the ‘workaround’ method, but also that seemed to go well.

ima

Apr 6, 2014
I can only comment on CarPlay and it’s a pain and the same as your experience. I’ve tried a new cable and it’s a little better but still regular freezing, turning off, refusing to connect to my phone. My wife has a facelift FR and it’s the same in hers.

Reactions: Slickric21

Deleted member 103408

factory reset should be under car / settings and at the bottom of the list, you can do some or all.

2 week old i would take it back to dealer

Reactions: ima

Owen83

Feb 9, 2018
Mine has been the same since I bought it new in March 18.... Often freezes, reboots, car play connection issues and generally pretty poor.

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
I’ll try the factory reset and see if that helps.

Had a new issue last night.

The reversing camera got stuck on, even after selecting drive and pulling away it showed the rear view !!!!

Had to do a hard reset whilst driving along !!

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Is your car frequently parked in the 'hot' sun? Others had infotainment systems freeze / behave bizarely when it's really hot, and it saves itself either by shutting down, or if not, do perculiar things.

MatTheMerciless

Feb 16, 2019
CarPlay in iOS 12 I’ve found to be terrible with the exact same issues in a 2015 ST. Currently running iOS beta with no issues at all in CarPlay.

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Just a little update on this thread.

I did a complete reset of the infotainment system.
I reset all settings, but I did notice it saved a few things I’d programmed so I reset again, then went into every individual option and rest them all for good measure.

It’s been over a week now and had no problems so far !! Touch wood

Reactions: Walone