Misfire under load

allyboy

Jun 28, 2009
Hello gents, been away for a while as I sold my mk3 20vt. Anyway I got this little beauty for £220. I had to tow it away from the seller as a non start.he told me he changed the dizzy cap and it wouldn't start. I got old dizzy cap off him fitted it and it fired up and cut out, after some tinkering i Checked key and found usual chip had fallen out. I used spare key and it fired up! But it has a misfire under load. I found when pushing car in 4th gear there was a hiss from the spark plugs. I sprayed wd40 and found bubbling up when rocked. So changed the plugs cleaned seats and added hylomar to threads and it stopped the leaks. Only thing is is still misfiring under load. If I rev it gently it won't misfire. I see you guys always say plugs, leads, cap and rotor. But is there anything else common? Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_8012.PNG
    IMG_8012.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_8167.JPG
    IMG_8167.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 190
  • IMG_8169.JPG
    IMG_8169.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 188
  • IMG_8140.JPG
    IMG_8140.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 170
  • IMG_8142.JPG
    IMG_8142.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 181

Copper Cupra

Dec 16, 2002
Exeter
Hi,
Nice buy... I saw this one on Fbook, a real bargain!
I had a similar issue with one of my Ibiza GTi 8v's, which also had a cold start problem. The previous owner had been around the houses in swapping out sensors to try and fix it, but failing... then sold it! After some diagnostics from when I bought it, it turned out to be the ECU reading to the throttle body potentiometer not producing a feed. I luckily had a spare ECU to swap out, which fixed this.
Couple other cheaper things to consider prior - coolant temperature sensor - MAF? Make sure you use genuine parts!

allyboy

Jun 28, 2009
Hi,
Nice buy... I saw this one on Fbook, a real bargain!
I had a similar issue with one of my Ibiza GTi 8v's, which also had a cold start problem. The previous owner had been around the houses in swapping out sensors to try and fix it, but failing... then sold it! After some diagnostics from when I bought it, it turned out to be the ECU reading to the throttle body potentiometer not producing a feed. I luckily had a spare ECU to swap out, which fixed this.
Couple other cheaper things to consider prior - coolant temperature sensor - MAF? Make sure you use genuine parts!
Thanks for the reply. I sorted it earlier on with a new set of ht leads. Now no misfire at all! Just got to fix all the other problems like shot rear calipers( It did sit for 18 months) blowing exhaust, broken coil spring and new passengers front abs sensor and wiring repair!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.