Mystery Blue easily scratched?

Cupra jimbo

Jun 1, 2019
Hi guys
Had the cupra 290 Mystery Blue for about 3 weeks now. I told the dealers not to wash it or take the stickers off. As i wanted the car as scratch free as possible. I detailed it myself.

I’ve noticed atleast 5 scratches in odd places like the roof? Have no idea how these scratches have appeared.

Anyone else having this issue?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
However careful you are, minor scratches are an inevitable consequence of car ownership IMO. I always use a safe wash technique; pre-wash, 2 bucket method and use a warm air dryer to minimise wash damage. Even being very careful my paintwork currently has some light swirling (time for me to get the DA polisher out, I think!).

I think that with Mystery Blue being a dark-ish blue, it’ll show any marks much more than a lighter coloured car. If you don’t already do so, I’d recommend adopting a safe washing / drying technique, and avoid the many £5 hand wash places. And never, ever let the dealer wash your car!

Cupra jimbo

Jun 1, 2019
However careful you are, minor scratches are an inevitable consequence of car ownership IMO. I always use a safe wash technique; pre-wash, 2 bucket method and use a warm air dryer to minimise wash damage. Even being very careful my paintwork currently has some light swirling (time for me to get the DA polisher out, I think!).

I think that with Mystery Blue being a dark-ish blue, it’ll show any marks much more than a lighter coloured car. If you don’t already do so, I’d recommend adopting a safe washing / drying technique, and avoid the many £5 hand wash places. And never, ever let the dealer wash your car![/

I used the two bucket method. Bought good quality cleaning and polishing products ( autofinesse bilt hamber Meguiars etc. Washed and dried as carefully as possible.

Wouldn’t let the the dealers wash it never mind £5 car wash lol.

My problem is that with my previous car 2008 Mercedes (white) any scratches used to buff out very easily with a polish by hand. Not so easy on the Mystery blue cupra

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Ive already got a scratch on the rear bumper, down to the plastic, had the car 3 weeks. Stuff just happens, and after the first one, and a week of moping about, you get over it.

Roof scratches could be a bird, My ZT used to seem to attract seagulls for some reason, they loved to stand on it, especially after I had detailed it.

Norbert

Oct 16, 2018
Paint quality really bad. No way to protect and looks bad specially the stone chips.
And dealer was washed once full swirl scratches all around. Brand new black mirror cap messed too.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Seat paint is normally medum/hard. Its not VW ceramic hard but its better than the majority. Any swirls or minor scratches can be corrected easily enough. What the car comes like is really dependant on the dealer, some seem to just not care and use any old cloth to rub them down with, many even use the nearest scratch-o-matic car wash.

There are plenty of products that can hide swirls if you arent really up for a full correction.

Norbert

Oct 16, 2018
Im in seat now and brand new £35.000 car swirl scratched...
Magnetic grey

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Not unusual at all. Mine was delivered swirl free thankfully, I had to do nothing apart from apply the coating of my choice.

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
That's one big thing I nocited when I swapped from my Nevada white 290 do my current b9 s4 in daytona grey, just how much harder the paint is, always cleaned the 290 correctly but it got swirls no matter what, the s4 is 9 months and its still like new

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Could be worse, it could be Vauxhall paint. My last lease car was a white Astra, which im pretty sure was painted with soft cheese. It was so soft it would leave a mark of white on anything it touched, even tough fabric.

Reactions: NotificatorZeth

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
Trouble is that any darker colour will show up all scratches and swirl marks in the Sunlight which is the only downside.

Pinscher90

May 2, 2019
Not unusual at all. Mine was delivered swirl free thankfully, I had to do nothing apart from apply the coating of my choice.

What coating did you apply if you don’t mind me asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
What coating did you apply if you don’t mind me asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing ceramic, far too much hassle for little gain. All ive done is clean it with an all purpose cleaner, checked for swirls and damage then used Meguires Ultimate fast finish, and used my home brew QD after the 3 washes its had since. The QD is a thirds mix of Sonax BSD, Chemicals guys V07 and Autobrite Project 64. Its super glossy and beads like crazy.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Mine's still looking good. It has a couple of very small stone chips on the drivers door and right front guard, but the PPF protects the entire front. Best thing I've fitted to it and mandatory in a country where they leave stones on the road after resealing and let the traffic clear them.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Mine is fine in mystery blue

Miles better than my old honda civic type r. Just looking at that the paint fell off :eek:

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I had mine ceramic coated on day 2 of ownership; whilst free from swirl marks, picking up the odd stone chip and random scratch in the clear coat.

A9BNL

Mar 6, 2019
I had mine treated with Autoglym Lifeshine and its great, stuff (flies, tar etc) doesn't stick to the paintwork and it cleans up easier than without having the treatment. This is the first car that i have ever had any dealership talk me into getting done as i usually end up saying no but so glad that i went ahead and i can highly recommend this treatment.

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
Roof scratches could be a bird, My ZT used to seem to attract seagulls for some reason, they loved to stand on it, especially after I had detailed it.
Also cats, especially in the winter when the car is still warm.

JSM Cupra

Mar 26, 2019
Scratches after washing it are definitely down to the sponge or cleaning applicator. The two bucket method is essential as I know from experience that I can do more harm than good! I’ve also taken to use the foam wash method at home to minimise scratches. But I agree the paintwork is not too bad at all, especially after seeing the chips my wife’s previous Honda Jazz picked up.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
It’s really down to the crappy paints etcthat they are forced to use now, water based that are good for the environment, it means extra care is needed in cleaning and never let the dealer wash your car, some manufacturer will still use better quality finish than others though.
At new reg time valeters can be overwhelmed with work and the same attention to detail is not there, I used to comment “you’ve hit a bit there” not a good way to keep in with those guys, sometimes it looked like only 75% of the panel got polish on it.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.