Launch control and warranty?

Degs

Feb 10, 2019
North Wales
I can't remember for the life of me where I read this but does frequent use of launch control affect the warranty on a dsg 4drive,I remember reading it could exclude the gearbox if used more than a set amount ?.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
I read somewhere on one of the Facebook groups that someone who had a Golf R used launch control like 4 times. They went into VW for a warranty repair and ran into so many issues when VW said that launch control pretty much invalidated their warranty for most of the engine and gearbox. Someone else said they had the same problem within the thread.

The argument is, why give that feature if it isn’t supposed to be used?!

I hope it isn’t true!

How many times have you used it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Degs

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I would try looking in the warranty documentation first... if it’s not documented, then it would be hard for this to be used as evidence for non payment of claim/warranty work.

Obviously the friction materials in the clutch plates are parts that are subject to wear and tear, so this is one area where you may struggle, if excessive use of launch control had caused premature wear.

More info here... post #5 may be of interest.

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/29210-launch-control-counter/

Degs

Feb 10, 2019
North Wales
I've used it 3 times, mine's an 8 month old ex- demo so could of been used more, think I'll look into it further .

Degs

Feb 10, 2019
North Wales
I would try looking in the warranty documentation first... if it’s not documented, then it would be hard for this to be used as evidence for non payment of claim/warranty work.

Obviously the friction materials in the clutch plates are parts that are subject to wear and tear, so this is one area where you may struggle, if excessive use of launch control had caused premature wear.

Thanks,just read it,according to vw there's no limit.

bgb

Jan 22, 2019

Following on form that link, the below link contains a copy paste from VW HQ. I also seem to recall seeing the actual email/letter but cant find it now. Went through the same 'how many times till it blows up' fact finding mission myself previously on my golf!

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/16060-feeling-a-bit-slow/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-266948

EDIT - Ignore my ignorance and not reading the previously posted link haha

Last edited:

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
And i just read the original link properly, and realised it's the same one, probably the one i was looking for!! :hide:

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Aside from any warranty statements, most consumer law would hold that any feature fitted by a manufacturer cannot void a warranty if used as intended.

Jan 2, 2020
Sweden
Sorry to bump this old thread, but I recently contacted the SEAT Customer Service here i Sweden and they confirmed that using Launch Control will not void any warranty. But they told me to be aware that using it to frequently would wear out the clutch faster than predicted, which is not covered by the warranty.

Reactions: Degs and Zer0

silky16v

#VagDoctor
Jan 26, 2017
doesn't void warranty, but constant use will wear the clutch packs faster and would advise anyone to the DSG oil and filter change more regularly (say every 9k)