DSG and stationary traffic

Jovin

Feb 18, 2007
Andover
Not had an auto of any kind before and in my old car I'd usually slip into neutral and apply handbrake if stopped in traffic or at lights for any length of time. When out on test with my current car, 2018 Leon ST with DSG, I asked the saleman about putting it in neutral at lights and he was very non-commital and said "well you could if you wanted to" and that was it.

What does everyone else do?

Deleted member 103408

Do you have stop start turned on, that should normally turn the engine off whilst you are waiting (any length of time).
Personally I just keep foot on the break (as i have stop start turned off.)

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
Not had an auto of any kind before and in my old car I'd usually slip into neutral and apply handbrake if stopped in traffic or at lights for any length of time. When out on test with my current car, 2018 Leon ST with DSG, I asked the saleman about putting it in neutral at lights and he was very non-commital and said "well you could if you wanted to" and that was it.

I just have it in drive all the time, it shouldn't be an issue. However, do pay attention to very slow moving traffic (slower than rolling in 1st gear), as this will lead to wearing down your clutch much faster. Whenever this happens to me, I just stop until there's a big enough gap to really engage the clutch.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Deano j1971

Jan 5, 2018

@Jovin, I have a 2017 St with dsg and never put it in neutral at the lights that’s what the auto handbrake is for. As soon as you stop light comes on dash, traffic lights change,touch the right pedal to go simple as that. You’ll get use to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
As @Deano j1971 said, no need for neutral.

The later facelift with electronic handbrake (like @Deano j1971 and me) means when you come to a stop you can press the brake enough so that a green light appears on the dash. You Can meet your foot of the brake and just press the accelerator as and when you want to move off. The pre facelift with the manual handbrake doesn’t do that.

Jovin

Feb 18, 2007
Andover
A bit like holding a manual car on a slope with the clutch, isn't having the car in drive with the brake on (whether it be auto brake or foot brake) causing wear to the system? The car will move in "drive" especially on a flat surface with no accelerator so holding it back with the brake cant do it any good surely?

Jovin

Feb 18, 2007
Andover
Do you have stop start turned on, that should normally turn the engine off whilst you are waiting (any length of time).

I find with stop/start on it will stop, then, almost always immediately start again

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
I find with stop/start on it will stop, then, almost always immediately start again
If it does that, it usually means the battery charge is low, or the air con is on and not reached the set temp yet, sure the manual mentions other scenario's too. Mine mostly just stops but if any of these events happen it will either not stop or just come on again, and you should get a small stroke appear across the A symbol in the mini display in the speedo/revs dash to confirm this.

Challymo

Apr 13, 2019
A bit like holding a manual car on a slope with the clutch, isn't having the car in drive with the brake on (whether it be auto brake or foot brake) causing wear to the system? The car will move in "drive" especially on a flat surface with no accelerator so holding it back with the brake cant do it any good surely?

When stopping if you press the brake in you'll notice the revs dip back to idle level, whereas when you release it a bit the revs rise. I always took this to mean when the brakes are fully on it disengages the clutch.

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
@Jovin, I have a 2017 St with dsg and never put it in neutral at the lights that’s what the auto handbrake is for. As soon as you stop light comes on dash, traffic lights change,touch the right pedal to go simple as that. You’ll get use to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly what I do, works perfectly IMO.

Reactions: Deano j1971

Jovin

Feb 18, 2007
Andover
When stopping if you press the brake in you'll notice the revs dip back to idle level, whereas when you release it a bit the revs rise. I always took this to mean when the brakes are fully on it disengages the clutch.

Or do the revs drop because it is straining, albeit only slightly, against the brake?

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
If it didn't disengage the clutch(es) they would soon wear out - which they don't.

Most drivers would not even think of this issue, so car makers figured it out and made it do the right thing, decades ago.

Reactions: daniel_ley

Challymo

Apr 13, 2019
Or do the revs drop because it is straining, albeit only slightly, against the brake?

I'm pretty sure it disengages the clutch as it takes a second or two to get rolling when removing the brake, the same as when putting it in to drive when setting it off.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
No pretty sure about it. It DOES disengage the clutch if your pressing the pedal hard enough (pre facelift) or when the green light is on and you can lift your foot back up (facelift).

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
DSG's have clutches, not torque converters. When they are at idle, the clutches are disengaged, just like a manual.
If you raise the revs though, the clutches will start to engage and if you allow it stay partially engaged it will cause wear/heat problems.
Just like a manual.

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
DSG's have clutches, not torque converters. When they are at idle, the clutches are disengaged, just like a manual.
So why does it creep at idle? Doesn't that mean the clutch for the odd numbered gears is slipping?

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
Really grateful for the OP on this. Thanks.

Okay I do lots TESTS in lots of these cars in the group. [Audi Seat Skoda VW and commercials etc]

My management say that VAG have informed them that there are two types of DSG gearbox clutches fitted to its vehicles.
[Thats where my/our knowledge leaves me/us]

DRY and WET

Additional wear is taking place if they are left IN GEAR when ever stationary with the DRY ones.
I am to STOP advising them all not to do this [leave it in drive] in case there is a complaint of premature wear and a liability etc

SO I do not know if there is a year/cut off point/vehicles/spec/type/number of gears/latest/oldest.
OR just how to tell?

OR if it is 'errr' ass covering total B******S

So grateful for a definitive answer/guide as there is a tremendous amount of tech brilliance on here.

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
So why does it creep at idle? Doesn't that mean the clutch for the odd numbered gears is slipping?
Some DSG (or other dual clutch automatic transmission) equipped vehicles are programmed to start creeping when the driver lets go of the brakes.
This is done to mimic traditional torque converted automatic behavior as people are used to those.

I don't think there are cars that actually keep partially engaging the clutch while stationary and holding the brakes.
You'd quickly notice this happening anyway as your entire car will smell of burnt clutch material after a couple of seconds.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: LouG

MifSal

Feb 7, 2019
do you not have auto hold next to the electronic hand brake button? you press the brake once and let go and accelerator when your ready to go.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.