Best way to connect Spotify? (for a numpty!)

Brackett

May 12, 2019
Hi all,

I'm really useless at car audio stuff. I have a 2018 Cupra ST with Full Link.

What's the best way to connect Spotify from my Android phone? Ideally via Bluetooth so I don't have to get it out of my pocket each time, but if not can I connect via Mirror Link or Android Auto?

And can I then control it from the car, or do I have to set it running via the phone and then can't skip tracks etc via the car?

Any numpty-level advice appreciated. Thanks.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Once your phone is paired to the car via Bluetooth, you should be able to select the media source as Bluetooth (whilst in the media screen) and just hit play on Spotify on your phone :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wolverine_uk

Oct 18, 2018
The only problem with bluetooth and spotify you loose the option to change music via the headunit. So your stuck with what ever playlist or album you last chose to play.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Brackett

May 12, 2019
Thanks both - that's a start, at least I can get it playing!

If I do want to control via the car/headunit, is there a way to do that?

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
I’m not too sure on Android, I know Apple CarPlay gives you the Spotify app on screen - maybe android does something similar - someone may be able to confirm.

You can at the very least use the steering wheel controls to skip to the next song in the playlist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Challymo

Apr 13, 2019
There is a version of the app on Android auto, but to be honest I find it easier to do it by Bluetooth and make sure that I have it on the playlist/artist I want when I am waiting for the car to warm up.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
I use both, B/T when I'm in and out of the car a lot. It saves connecting/disconnecting the phone. AA on longer drives so I get Waze as well. I can't tell the difference in sound quality.
I've just bought a P30 Pro and the wireless charging works really well. That's one disadvantage of B/T done away with.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Thanks both - that's a start, at least I can get it playing!

If I do want to control via the car/headunit, is there a way to do that?

Install android auto then connect via USB to the car. Long press the steering wheel voice button and you'll have the full Google search options, ask it to play music and Spotify will take over.

Brackett

May 12, 2019
Thanks for your helps folks.

Have now got it working on both B/T and AA!

Is there any way to get the artwork showing? (I get that if I connect my iPod - obviously doesn't affect the music, but I like it).

Reactions: LouG

Brackett

May 12, 2019
Artwork now seems to show on Android Auto (not sure I did anything different!). But still not on Bluetooth.

zedlor

Aug 24, 2017
Warrington
Yeah you can't get artwork to show via Bluetooth as it's only the audio that's sent across, images aren't.

Wireless Android Auto would be the best but I'm not sure any cars in the VW group have this yet