What's your car washing routine?

Deleted member 103408

depends if you want to look after you hands as well as the car :)

Reactions: bgb

GordonMcC

Feb 8, 2017
Ayrshire, Scotland
Wheels first:
Turtle wax redline wheel cleaner
then Auto Glanz waterless wash to get a good shine

Body
Auto Finesse snow foam
rinse
waxless soap
wash with noodle mit
rinse and dry

2 buckets and every few months i apply Auto GLanz hybrid cermaic wax but i think i will be trying the new turtle wax version

Krafty_Bizkit

Mar 15, 2019
South London
I just use this stuff :)

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
If im to be honest you can go too daft

For me its

rinse with hose
1 bucket method with microfibre wash mitt (just dont dip to bottom of bucket no need for 2 buckets and grit guard imo)
I use autosmart truck wash
Wash car and wheels
Rinse off
Dry with microfibre towel

Maybe wax it every couple of months, no need for polish yet (only 6 months old)

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Do you use snow foam?
Wax?
Polish?
Double bucket?

I have read a lot of different ways to do it, so curious to know what you guys do!

I don't pre-rinse or wet down.

Sponge, bucket, washing up liquid.

Rub the dirt into the paint until it's gone.

Don't dry.

Wait until it rains to rinse the car.

Job done.

If I'm being picky, I also use a scouring pad on the tough bits.

Reactions: GordonMcC

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
I'm waiting to try Meguiars hybrid spray wax, but I might try Turtle Wax seal 'n shine in the meantime.

I got some of the Turtle wax seal stuff for the wife's car mate, i was very impressed for the price.

Not sure im ready to shelve the geon wetcoat for it just yet though.

Reactions: LouG and Kinetic

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Generally speaking I rinse with my pressure washer first, them foam the car. It doesn't have to be snow foam I use, its mainly just to get the car covered in detergent so there are no dry areas. Personally I don't think snow foam does much of anything unless the dirt is wet and soft already. The wheels will be sprayed with Bilt Hamber Autowheels and left to soak for a bit.

I then use a noodle mit and a bucket of foamed up shampoo and wash top to bottom with minimal pressure. If very dirty ill use the 2 bucket method.

Then I refoam with whatever is left in the lance and pressure wash off. The wheels will then be agitated if need be and rinsed.

Ill them dry with a huge drying microfibre and finish with my QD of choice. This might be a single step depending on the QD.

If the car is only dusty, as it has been lately, I'll occasionally use a waterless wash. Used carefully with light rain spotting only it doesn't scratch or mar the finish. I would never use it to wash a 'dirty' car though.

Kinetic

Nov 18, 2017
Spray the wheels with a detergent spray then clean with a mitt and detergent in a bucket. Blast dirt off the bodywork, then wash with Meguiars and a lambswool mitt. Then blow dry with a leaf blower and then chamois.
Meguiars wax every 3 - 4 months.
I'm waiting to try Meguiars hybrid spray wax, but I might try Turtle Wax seal 'n shine in the meantime.

The Turtle Wax is fantastic for the money but I think Meguiars Quik Wax has the edge.

Reactions: LouG

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
I stopped bothering - there is a local car wash with great prices and TBH, they do quite a good job at washing the car... Probably better than I would do myself and I get to save on the products and work.
After they wash it, sometimes I will drive it home and after wiping the dirt from the ride with a soft cloth I apply a hybrid wax.
Looks great, keeps car clean and saves me the hassle.
White cars are a pain to keep clean... You guys know what I am talking about ;)

I guess inspired by this thread, gonna take mine to the wash tomorrow and it is up again for a wax application, so I know what I am going to be doing...

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
White cars (along with silver) are the easiest of all to keep looking good. Swirl marks and low level dirt don't really show up at all because they dont have that mirror reflection that dark cars do. I'd never get a dark car cleaned by someone else, but Iive not been so not picky about the white cars ive had.

Reactions: bgb and LR231998

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Auto finesse Iron out on wheels
Auto finesse snow foam
Rinse
Agitate wheels and exhaust tips with auto finesse wheel shampoo
Contact wash exterior with carbon collective Lusso shampoo
Rinse
Dry with large Klin Korea Microfibre towel
Dry wheels and door shuts with smaller separate Klin Korea MF
Buff glass with auto finesse crystal
Dress tyres with meguiars endurance

Once a month use carbon collective hybrid sealant and autofinesse dressle on Black plastics.

Wouldn’t do it any other way I know I’m anal but my car looks spotless. Usually takes me 1-2 hours.

Oh and NEVER pay the guys £10 for a hand wash - look at the damage caused under light and I’m sure you’ll agree - and in maybe a years time you’ll be paying £500 for a professional to machine polish it as it’ll be unsightly. Not to mention the damage caused by the acid they use on the wheels - especially diamond cut

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
White cars (along with silver) are the easiest of all to keep looking good. Swirl marks and low level dirt don't really show up at all because they dont have that mirror reflection that dark cars do. I'd never get a dark car cleaned by someone else, but Iive not been so not picky about the white cars ive had.

Depends on your degree of OCD, but I get your point :)

Kinetic

Nov 18, 2017
I've not seen a mention of the Polar range from Autoglym so thought I'd give my impressions. The snow foam works well but my biggest praise has to go to to Polar Seal. You use it in a foam lance at the end of the wash cycle and then simply wipe away any residue with a microfibre towel. A final wipe over with a dry cloth and the finish is pretty good, lasts for a few weeks also. I haven't tried the shampoo as I've still got plenty Meguiars gold class left, but I'll be using Polar Seal regularly due to the ease of use and good results.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members