DSG and stationary traffic

Deleted member 103408

I've had DSG cars for years and have never had any clutch pack issues due to idling/creeping. As previously mentioned that when you come to a stop the DSG does automatically disengage the clutch.

I'm sure that the many millions of pounds towards research and development with the future advancement of the technology, coupled with repair feedback from customers over the years would've have resulted in the DSG boxes being reliably installed over such a range of cars.

We're lucky in a way, the earlier Ford Powershift boxes are another story!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Whilst I would agree with you I think the guys who had the early DQ200 Box (this is the Dry DSG Box for the smaller engines) may disagree and there were lots and lots of issues and recalls to rectify. Hopefully all now resolved.

Reactions: Peller

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
If this were true, it would be in the owners manual. I do not believe it for a moment. Can you provide your source?

It was from VAG to the Director 0f Driving standards iAM RoadSmart after owners advised him and he asked VAG.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
I've had DSG cars for years and have never had any clutch pack issues due to idling/creeping. As previously mentioned that when you come to a stop the DSG does automatically disengage the clutch.

I'm sure that the many millions of pounds towards research and development with the future advancement of the technology, coupled with repair feedback from customers over the years would've have resulted in the DSG boxes being reliably installed over such a range of cars.

We're lucky in a way, the earlier Ford Powershift boxes are another story!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Nailed it. The voice of reason.

Reactions: Peller

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
It could be this, it's so quick that it's not noticeable. Assuming Arona is the same 1.0 TSI 7 speed DSG as in the Ibiza. plus most of the time, I'm moving off from engine off start-stop.

Wait so in theory, on DSGs, you can never do a 'left foot on brake' build revs on right, and let go off brake and go? How does the Cupra on launch control do it? drop the DSG clutch?
Too be honest, I haven't used launch control. The times set on a press Cupra here were launching off idle and quicker than using launch.
And our cops will impound your car at the first whiff of tyre smoke.
I assume launch holds the revs at a given point then engages the clutch when the brake is released?

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
Too be honest, I haven't used launch control. The times set on a press Cupra here were launching off idle and quicker than using launch.
I assume launch holds the revs at a given point then engages the clutch when the brake is released?

After which you leave 7 pounds of rubber on the tarmac and get shaken to death by wheel hop.

I can confirm the times you mentioned; simply setting off and carefully managing throttle you're faster than with the launch control.

I don't think it's very easy on the clutch either. I remember hearing about major gearbox issues on the early A45 models after using launch control a couple of times.
Although I haven't heard of any issues on VAG DSGs, it still can't be light on your gearbox.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: LouG

h-a-r-r-y

Feb 12, 2019
Sweden
@ OP but anyone else really.

Not sure if relevant either but it's to do with the DSG so maybe it might strike some conversation.

ST300 Cupra 4Drive late-18 build, meaning GPF and DSG7 box.

So this has happened twice so far, and I haven't tried to replicate the situation for fear of ruining my poor car. It happens during a warm start, usually the second time I've driven the car for the day - meaning that it's still warm from when I have driven to school/shops/whatever maybe water temp at 80*~.

Outside my apartment block there is a real nice long stretch of road (toward the town) that if one was bored and wanted to do a rapid acceleration for fun (10kph to 80kph, y'know to try to get the DSG to burp - upshift 1st into 2nd, maybe into 3rd), they could. So what has happened in these two instances is that when I am upshifting from 1st into 2nd gear (hard acceleration [not kick-down though], shifting manually at 5500-6000rpm maybe higher) I would hear this LOUD clank - like a piece of metal hitting a plastic box really hard - and simultaneously lose all power for about 2 seconds before 2nd is engaged and all is well again.

My theory is that the clutch "slips" and disengages before trying to re-engage 2nd gear. Maybe it's because I'm asking the car too soon to get a move on - because the first time it happened, I immediately tried to recreate the situation and it shifted normally (so it's always the FIRST time it has to shift from 1st to 2nd, i.e. out from the carpark or whatever).

I haven't had my first service yet, and I'm unsure if its a thing I should get checked because it only happens in that situation.

In addition, my two cents on the 'traffic crawl' (i.e. slow speed driving) situation - I always avoid manual mode (to lock it in 1st for example) because it's way too jerky - and generally I let it get into a situation where it can crawl (so its not having to work the clutch). But if I am in a carpark, and I have to go up ramps or whatnot, yeah then I engage manual mode to lock it in 1st so it's always on power and not always stupidly shifting to 2nd or even 3rd.

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
That doesn't sound good at all, I'd have it looked at.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

silles

May 4, 2017

there is lunch control ? lol ... never needed it, just starting from high idle in S mode and I still burn rubber with the sh!ty stock Conties

Deleted member 103408

Just a note for those of you who are into upgrading the car's you can also now get upgraded DSG Software from the tuning companies and for the Stage 3 tunes they also do a version with Upgraded Clutch packs which can take more than the stock ones.

Reactions: CupraK290 and LouG

h-a-r-r-y

Feb 12, 2019
Sweden
Just a note for those of you who are into upgrading the car's you can also now get upgraded DSG Software from the tuning companies and for the Stage 3 tunes they also do a version with Upgraded Clutch packs which can take more than the stock ones.

What does the upgrade do exactly?

Deleted member 103408

The upgraded clutch packs are designed for much higher power output (550 nm).

The Software dependent of who you use changes the way the DSG Works, For example it can remove kickdown in Manual Mode, It supports the increased rev range of the engine and provides multiple launch points, Holds 2nd gear rather than dropping to 1st etc etc.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.