Put unleaded in my 1.4 TSI should be ok right?

TJ1989

Jun 5, 2017
Quick question guys. Since I bought my cupra 2 years ago I have only used super unleaded in it but today I had to put fuel in and the station only had normal unleaded. Can already notice the car is more sluggish don't know if it's in my head or not lol. But it should be fine right? I don't Wana **** up my engine or anything i and don't know much about cars to be honest.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Yeah, it'll be fine. Just top it back up with super on the next visit.

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Quick question guys. Since I bought my cupra 2 years ago I have only used super unleaded in it but today I had to put fuel in and the station only had normal unleaded. Can already notice the car is more sluggish don't know if it's in my head or not lol. But it should be fine right? I don't Wana **** up my engine or anything i and don't know much about cars to be honest.
You will be fine. It is a placebo affect super unleaded vs regular. U see actual test on YouTube saying they don't offer any real difference but I will still put super unleaded in and then also regular. The one thing it won't do if **** up your engine lol even if it feels a little sluggish.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I believe on the fuel flap of Cupras it shows 98 (95) RON on the fuel flap...so 97/98 RON would give you the max power + economy, and 95 would give you a little less of the two, but cheaper too. My current Volvo it's stated use 95-98RON, the 98 for maximum performance and economy, and recommended for hot weather driving. I didn't notice any difference between RON 95 or RON 99 (Vpower/Momentum) power or engine wise, just that the latter has a 1-2 mpg advantage like for like.

You can only really remove the biased placebo effect, if you get somebody else to fuel the car for you, without telling you which they put in, and see if you notice, and let them tell you which fuel they put in in a few days time.

Speaking from experience from a Seat Leon 2.0TDI, I thought it was placebo effect putting in supermarket diesel (when I normally put regular Shell/Esso/BP diesel), but a friend who rides with me, commented, what's with your car today, got up on the wrong side of the bed, as it was more 'grumpy'? He didn't know what fuel I put. It was the first time I put supermarket diesel, plus on the mpg computer, it showed 46mpg for the trip, usually it would do 50mpg, +/- 1 mpg. So it wasn't placebo effect.

Also Cupra owners from Ireland or N. Ireland, in which the highest grade fuel you can get is 95RON, so on the fuel flap, the Cupras sold there only show 95RON and are mapped for 95RON.

Last edited:

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
You will be fine. It is a placebo affect super unleaded vs regular. U see actual test on YouTube saying they don't offer any real difference but I will still put super unleaded in and then also regular. The one thing it won't do if **** up your engine lol even if it feels a little sluggish.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
I don't recall a performance difference but my 1.2 TsI was always about 6 percent more economical on Shell V-power than Shell 95. Another 30 or more miles out of every tank.

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
My Leon is definitely more peppy on the Super and more economical, but it costs more! So no cost benefit just the extra ooomph. Iv'e seen the difference on dyno sessions between fuels, and on Turbo models on modern electronics it does make a difference.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
My Leon is definitely more peppy on the Super and more economical, but it costs more! So no cost benefit just the extra ooomph. Iv'e seen the difference on dyno sessions between fuels, and on Turbo models on modern electronics it does make a difference.

Did you put your Leon on the Dyno? If yes, which engine and figures before and after changing petrol? Or did you mean you've seen other cars on the dyno before and after change of fuel figures?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.