MY19 Leon Cupra Fuel filler cap won’t open in warm weather?

Ryosaurus26

Oct 25, 2018
Not sure if anyone has experienced the same problem, I’ve read that it’s an issue on the Mk7 Golf.

My MY19 Leon Cupra (in hot weather it seems) won’t release the fuel filler cap. It’s happened twice now, first time took 30 mins to open (no joke) and last night was about 10 mins.

Tried pushing and hitting the cover, prising, locking/unlocking the car... nothing... then all of a sudden it opens like normal !

Is it just me or has anyone else experienced it? Any ideas on how to resolve it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Adam Ellis

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
On the mk7 Golf, I think the problem was the plastic loop on the reverse side of the filler cap being too tight a fit when the locking pin slid into it - rectified by shaving a small amount of the plastic away so it was no longer such a tight fit.

I’ve not heard of similar issues with the Leon, so a possible cause could be a faulty actuator that controls the operation of the locking pin.

Michael1a1

Oct 22, 2015
I had the exact same issue a few weeks ago, although could not get it open at all and only had 25 miles left!

To be fair rang Seat Roadside assistance who arrange for a tech to come out the next morning at my work. Didn't have the part on the van but managed to release it off so i could fill the tank, wasn't confident that he had fixed the problem with the actuator so arranged to come back a day or so later with a brand new part and replaced it again whilst the car was at work.

To be fair they couldn't of done anymore!

Second time i have had to use their assist service, once on my old Leon and again they were great. Worthwhile having the cover and keeping it up with the dealer services each year

Ryosaurus26

Oct 25, 2018
I had the exact same issue a few weeks ago, although could not get it open at all and only had 25 miles left!

To be fair rang Seat Roadside assistance who arrange for a tech to come out the next morning at my work. Didn't have the part on the van but managed to release it off so i could fill the tank, wasn't confident that he had fixed the problem with the actuator so arranged to come back a day or so later with a brand new part and replaced it again whilst the car was at work.

To be fair they couldn't of done anymore!

Second time i have had to use their assist service, once on my old Leon and again they were great. Worthwhile having the cover and keeping it up with the dealer services each year

Haha yeah I had no fuel either, literally had no choice in filling up the car or I’d have to abandon it ! I did ring them the first time round, but I was there that long that it ended up opening anyway. Ah okay so it could be the actuator that’s temperamental? I’ll see if I can get it replaced

Michael1a1

Oct 22, 2015
Yeah i was at the petrol station pump with the dilemma of can i actually make it to work in the morning or wait till past 11.30 at night for them to come out, took the very gentle drive to work option!

It was on mine, but he said he'd not had to replace many at all so could of just been a faulty one. Bit of a pain to replace by all accounts though as you have to take the entire housing out to get to the back of it to remove the actuator

Reactions: Ryosaurus26

Ryosaurus26

Oct 25, 2018
Turns out it’s not just warm weather think it’s f*kd

Aug 18, 2019
Not sure if anyone has experienced the same problem, I’ve read that it’s an issue on the Mk7 Golf.

My MY19 Leon Cupra (in hot weather it seems) won’t release the fuel filler cap. It’s happened twice now, first time took 30 mins to open (no joke) and last night was about 10 mins.

Tried pushing and hitting the cover, prising, locking/unlocking the car... nothing... then all of a sudden it opens like normal !

Is it just me or has anyone else experienced it? Any ideas on how to resolve it?

What’s the car lik please? As all my mates say it’s a poor mans car?

Aug 18, 2019
Oh, good choice, my daughter picked her one up last week, very much understated looks, probably avoids a lot of attention from nasty people.
What do u honestly think of it I am looking at sum gud deals as it’s the old shape now isn’t it

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
That is true, but just how important is it to you to be one of the first unfortunate customers road testing the next generation of Leon, given VW Group's track record on "sorting" new versions of cars out before the initial launch?

Edit:- the thing is, as far as I can make out, the current catalogue Leons are 5F so the last of the 2019MY build, any pictures I've seen of the next model seem to indicate that SEAT has taken a radical step across body design wise and has produced something that resembles an older Mazda when the Mazda changed from wedge back to sensible, as I said, just a subtle likeness of that. I find the 5F Leon to be a very pleasing shape, some people that buy Ibizas hated the new Ibiza when it came out as it looked like that Leon, I was one of those people that could not work out why that likeness was a bad thing, but each to their own I suppose!

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Yes just also the new shape is soon coming out

What’s your point?

It’s not always a good thing - look at the new Fiesta ST compared to the outgoing one.

If you don’t want to look like a “poor man” then get a Rolls Royce, I really don’t understand that saying.

Ironically It’s usually the people who know nothing about cars and models and trim levels who drive around in POS broken leaking Astra’s who say that. Golf is a poor mans S3. S3 is a poor mans RS3. RS3 is a poor mans RS6.... see where I’m going? Where do you stop?

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam Ellis

Deleted member 103408

I think we have given Adam a hard enough time.

You will see lots of people have ordered the new 290 and if you check out https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/whos-ordered-a-cupra.398347/page-549#post-4875354 and you will see all the people moaning (understandably) about the delay in getting the car and then how happy they are after it arrives.

like any car it has faults but just read this forum for details of the various features that come with our cars.

Colour is a personal choice thing so what i like may not be the same as what you like.

As I always say to people who are underside about the car.

Ignore what we all say - take one out for a test drive along with the other cars you are thinking off.

Then get your trusty list of wants and compare the various cars you like to see which suits you best.