The ultimate front splitter thread

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Whats the difference in material between ABS plastic and fiberglass when it comes to these sort of pieces?

ABS plastic, as the name implies, is hard plastic similar to the material original bumpers on car are made.

Fiberglass is more rigid and can break and crack, also more susceptible to stone stone damage.
Personally, I would never buy a a fiberglass part, but each to their own...

TimT

Jul 18, 2019
ABS plastic, as the name implies, is hard plastic similar to the material original bumpers on car are made.

Fiberglass is more rigid and can break and crack, also more susceptible to stone stone damage.
Personally, I would never buy a a fiberglass part, but each to their own...
And I suppose with the nordic climate of Estonia & Finland, fibreglass is also more suspectible to climate related effects on it? Not to mention the wintery roads that includes uneven ice and snow
Reccon that is enough to seal the deal that I will avoid fibreglass.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
And I suppose with the nordic climate of Estonia & Finland, fibreglass is also more suspectible to climate related effects on it? Not to mention the wintery roads that includes uneven ice and snow
Reccon that is enough to seal the deal that I will avoid fibreglass.

Yeps, exactly. If you are up here, I would avoid fiberglass.

MiTz

Jul 23, 2018
This might have been asked already, but does the front end still clear a kerb with the splitter installed ?
:headhurt:

Cheers

Last edited:

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
I have just looked at the Rieger main website and they offer a matt black front splitter as well as the gloss black one we are familiar with from eBay and other UK places. From what I can tell the UK distributor only seems to offer the gloss version at a generous markup.

If I was going to go for one of these on my eclipse orange FR (tANGerInE) it would definitely be the matt finish one as it matches the rest of the black bits on the front of the car !

MiTz

Jul 23, 2018
Yeah depends on how high the kerb is. But I never park front in to a kerb anyway, always reverse park.

I mean just your standard size street kerb, mainly for the car park at work, which has a rake of them... I would generally reverse park as well, but when needing to unload or load the boot, it's not always possible. Thanks

Last edited:

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
I mean just your standard size street kerb, mainly for the car park at work, which has a rake of them... I would generally reverse park as well, but when needing to unload or load the boot, it's not always possible. Thanks

I would say that even on a non-lowered car it will catch and you need to be aware of it.

Reactions: MiTz

deano1988

Aug 15, 2019
How many holes will i need to drill to fit the Rieger front splitter to my mk3.5 when it arrives and does any of it make use of existing holes anywhere?

Last edited:

robby71

Sep 3, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
How many holes will i need to drill to fit the Rieger front splitter to my mk3.5 when it arrives and does any of it make use of existing holes anywhere?

As Maypack said you use 4 existing holes which already have bolts in and need to drill another 18 - to fit the spring clips on the screws it's easier to remove the lower cover/ shield in each of the wheel arches so you can squeeze your hand it, i managed to fit 7 in total - 3 each side from the arch and 1 from underneath after removing the long thin part of the underguard

nS4FyeZ.jpg

Reactions: Maypack

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
As Maypack said you use 4 existing holes which already have bolts in and need to drill another 18 - to fit the spring clips on the screws it's easier to remove the lower cover/ shield in each of the wheel arches so you can squeeze your hand it, i managed to fit 7 in total - 3 each side from the arch and 1 from underneath after removing the long thin part of the underguard

nS4FyeZ.jpg

Get the fog light tints fitted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenH1993

Jul 12, 2019
Splinters looking but the real question is;

Fog lights or no fog lights?!!...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members