£85 plus VAT

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
Is the price each for the over-sized 17" Dunlops as fitted to the SE Dynamic Leon it seems.

Reason I now know this is from a rant by Father after having picked-up a puncture, which
being only 1" in from the edge of the tread cannot be repaired, (he was told) so a new tyre
is needed. This is a local indie tyre outfit - but not the one I told him to try, as ever.

Apparently all this is very unfair because the car has only done 3,200 miles and it's not a
good time to get a puncture, (when is?)

What amounts have others been charged on here for a new matching tyre out of interest?
I told him when he ordered the car that 16" would have been a better option all-round anyway....

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Within 1” of the sidewall usually means the tyre is done, try another repair place to get a second opinion, have you checked the tyre?. If I asked 3 techs in our place about a marginal repair I would probably get-yes, no, and I’ll try it!

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
The policy here is, as long as the puncture is in the tread area and not where it meets the sidewall, it's OK to patch.
25mm from the edge of the tread sounds like a sales exercise.
What does officialdom say about it there?

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
That’s a lot for a tyre, I saw 4 x 17 inch rain sport 3’s for roughly £205 delivered the other day..

Even allowing fitting, it’s no where near your plus vat price!

thebrief1979

Dec 1, 2017
Worcester
I must say - totally miffed here - why would anyone concerned for their own safety not buy a new tyre if ur being told it’s not safe

As for £85 per tyre- it’s all relative and I appreciate all on here have different spending priorities/ commitments and affordability but in my mind that is still cheap - but I did spend £600 on 4 winter tyres (18”) and 2 months later another £650 on summer tyres (19”) - that’s without fitting

Reactions: ray

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
Interesting info.

I've not seen the affected tyre myself, but was told it was a 'very small hole' that took about
4 hours to deflate from 32 PSI.
Have a feeling that many tyre outfits would have been happy to repair it. The tyre fitter that
I use is fine with a repair as long as it's on the tread and there is no other split/scuff/impact
damage - and he only charges a tenner.

It's my guess that Father has probably had his pants pulled down again, (like his local stealer
on the Leon's first service) - they must see him coming, which is why I help/guide him whenever
I am able, but with him being offline and living 40 miles away means that's not always possible.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members