Performance Panel Filter - ABT R ST worth it?

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
I’m thinking about getting a performance air filter to put in my new R ST.

Anyone got any recommendations on which to buy or even if it’s worth it at all?

I’d like to tweak the maximum I can get out of the car without doing any mods that could upset warranty (being a new car) so I guess it’s only changing the panel filter then ?

Any advice or opinions welcomed :)

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
Standard air filter in good condition will allow enough airflow for what SEAT intended.

A replacement panel will at least not upset anything, (unlike a poorly-executed pod
or other aftermarket set-up could do) - but is unlikely to deliver anything extra apart
from a touch more induction noise under throttle, which might make the car seem a
bit more powerfull.

Having said that, I use K&N panel filters in cars that I intend to keep long term, but
mostly for economic reasons. I've not read of any panel filter that dares to claim more
than an 'Upto 5% Improvement'.

An old trick to obtain the extra induction noise and also extra airflow is to drill a couple
of 15mm holes discreetly into the standard airbox, (before the filter element, obviously)

Deleted member 103408

And also some people blank off the left hand side the goes into the engine compartment., there are links to threads in @TheSwede thread.

Reactions: Slickric21

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Thanks for the advice.

In terms of just keeping things easy (both to do and revert) I may get a Racingline panel filter and also the blanking piece that @theoldboy mentions above.

Also I’m reading a lot about replacing the Turbo inlet pipe as being a recommended mod.

Any of you guys done it?
Is it easy to do (and revert if required) ?
Which brand do you recommend??

mindthecap

Nov 27, 2018
I'm recommending doing some extra holes into the air guide on top of the radiator. Did it on mine and butt dyno says engine is more responsive. On top of that fuel consumption improved about 0.5 l/100km (40 to now 43 -44 mpg).

I have also removed snow guard but I still have stock air filter.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
Inlet elbow pipe connected to turbo. I have used CTS for a Golf R and HG motorsports (HF series) for my Cupra. Looks and work the same. Easy to to replace.

/Peter

k290b

Apr 15, 2019
I’ve got a Racingline turbo elbow for sale in the classifieds. Also a JB4 unit

I’ve got the panel filter too but will prob just leave that in.

I got the left side blanking plate and think it did make a bit of a difference

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.