EVOTSI issues

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
Hi

Has anyone seen this, recently in whatcar magazine!!?

Having seen it, my car does seem a bit like as described, seems to stall a lot, which again I think is to do with the start stop, have had a 1.4 ecotsi Act before and a fiesta and Citigo before that, never of which I stalled half as many times as this one!

Opinions please

Chris
cab7b49228a864c4ed341c7d7976376b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
That will be the issue with the 1.5TSI EVO when used with a 6 speed manual gearbox.

One of my wife’s friends has that combo in a 2018 Golf and absolutely no issues at all, which is good but curious.

My mate has that combo in a 2018 T-Roc with absolutely no issues at all, which is also curious.

Both cars were bought slightly used, so neither has any idea of they were okay from day one.

My older daughter is currently replacing her Ibiza and is looking at Leon’s, but I’m suggesting that she avoids the 1.5TSI EVO with a 6 speed gearbox as there is no point in going looking for problems, 2.0TSI FR maybe Sport is what I think that she should buy.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Mines is juddery in first gear on a cold engine

But when its warm its better still not smooth going. Basically makes you appear like a learner driver with sub par clutch control

1.5tsi evo 6speed manual 130bhp

Reactions: Leonfr140

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
That will be the issue with the 1.5TSI EVO when used with a 6 speed manual gearbox.

One of my wife’s friends has that combo in a 2018 Golf and absolutely no issues at all, which is good but curious.

My mate has that combo in a 2018 T-Roc with absolutely no issues at all, which is also curious.

Both cars were bought slightly used, so neither has any idea of they were okay from day one.

My older daughter is currently replacing her Ibiza and is looking at Leon’s, but I’m suggesting that she avoids the 1.5TSI EVO with a 6 speed gearbox as there is no point in going looking for problems, 2.0TSI FR maybe Sport is what I think that she should buy.
Difference in insurance though?? Looks like specs have changed if getting new, FR Sport replaced by FR Black Edition

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
She has been given what I hope is an up to date Leon brochure, I've just discovered what "EZ" means in respect of SEAT used cars adverts as I thought if she bought a pre-reg Leon as there are many appearing with roughly 10 miles on the clock, she might get a better deal as most of them have winter pack.

Does anyone know what the design of this 1.5TSI Evo engine is, ie is it as suspected running the Millar cycle which leaves both valves open longer on the compression stroke - so maybe more prone to weak/no power/torque under certain operating conditions, and if so, there is not much that VW Group can do S/W wise to sort that out when that engine is coupled to a manual gearbox - is there?

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
The 1.5 EVO 150 has higher gearing than the outgone 1.4 150 so less fun to drive unless you rev it much higher in gears.
Yeah I noticed that, not as much fun as the 1.4!! All geared for economy, stupid WLTP and all this emission stuff has hit VAG!!

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
Also I have emailed seat and they called me today, left a VM, so I'll call them at lunch tomorrow, see what they say!!

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Is that why a lot of Leon FR 1.5 EVOs are going on really good deals on leasing?
I think its because they are pumping them out left right and centre to get people away from diesels and most are generally available within a week

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
And its not as bad as everyone makes out. When the cars warm you don’t notice it only on a cold engine

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
Mines is juddery in first gear on a cold engine

But when its warm its better still not smooth going. Basically makes you appear like a learner driver with sub par clutch control

1.5tsi evo 6speed manual 130bhp
Same car...I have no issues so far. Do notice (as others report) can tell when ACT active on/off even if not looking at the dash.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.