Any electrical experts here, standard radio not working/won't power on

h4mza

Sep 17, 2016
Hi all, quite new here, recently bought a MK2 Leon and the standard radio has never worked. It does not power on at all. Having removed the radio to inspect the wires on the plug, I can definitely tell they have been messed about with before.

The brown and red/yellow wire were exposed, so taped it up. Black and black/white wire seemed lose, so followed it all the way to bottom of centre console, had to remove the left side trim to access it and found that is has been chopped and not connected to anything. Also found another black wire going all the way to back of car and I've no idea what it is for?

I've included pictures to show, any advice would be helpful, thanks.

Attachments

• 20190805_183103.jpg
    20190805_183103.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
  • 20190805_185012.jpg
    20190805_185012.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 81
  • 20190805_185120.jpg
    20190805_185120.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 75

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
Have you checked for a 12V supply at the plug? Would expect both red and yellow wires to be at 12V with the ignition on. One (normally red) will be the fixed 12V supply, and the other (normally yellow) will be an ignition switched 12V. I say "normally" because sometimes these are reversed, and I do not have the Leon circuit diagram in front of me to check. If these wires were exposed in the dash, there is a reasonable chance that the fuse(s) will have blown.

The wire going to the rear could be for the aerial amplifier, but if you get the power sorted first then it should be straightforward to fault find the rest with a few simple tests. If any of the wires you describe have exposed conductors I would recommend insulating them with a bit of tape before you sort the power supply.

h4mza

Sep 17, 2016
All sorted now, it was a blown fuse, replaced it and working now. The black plug with black and black/white wire was aftermarket retro fitted and not needed so got rid of it and the other black wire going to the back is from cigarette lighter. May come handy in future so tucked it in for now.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members