Copra 290 pops and bangs disappear after 5 mins

andycupra

status subject to change
i wonder how long it will be until the regulations state that the emissions and mpg figures need to reflect the worst 'program'.

and how are the pops and bangs created? any downsides to the engine/cat? I assume its allowing fuel through to the exhaust..

and an old man's perspective: its all a bit juvenile anyway and frankly from what I can see most people do not have anything nice to say about people driving around popping and banging..

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
After further tests today, yes, it does stop, and immediately starts again if you change modes and back again.

Reactions: Polly

JamesT

Mar 18, 2013
Warminster
After further tests today, yes, it does stop, and immediately starts again if you change modes and back again.

That’s 3 of us now then.

I find if I’m in cupra mode, and the pops and crackles stop, I just select cupra again and they start again, so don’t even need to change the mode to something different!

Reactions: Polly

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
My MY19 does this and it annoys the t*ts off me - it's not you doing anything wrong (not me either) it just stops any pops/bangs/crackles on overrun after anywhere between 2-5 mins. How on earth do you explain that to a tech as it's not really a problem!
My thought was that it's so when WLTP testing, they'll hear (and know) that there are the pops/bangs etc, but so as not to effect the overall WLTP mpg, it stops.

We aren't going mad...it 100% happens. Now, this can't be isolated to two of us...I think it effects all MY19's from BW38 2018 onwards, but nobody has really noticed. I challenge everyone to drive around with engine in Cupra and windows down, and you'll see that James and I aren't going mad!

EDIT: Just to add to this, it never happened on my previous 290 Black Edition

My 2018 Curpa R is a manual.
If I inadvertently hit the rev limiter and trying really hard it pops and farts [PAAAAAARP} ONLY TWICE though.
Then not again. If I accidently get near the rev limiter again it just hicuups a little and holds back like a Diesel. will not over rev.

If I wait for about 15 minutes or forget it or restart or change modes and back again to CUPRA mode or Cupra mode in individual. Same again two PAAARPS if I hit the rev limiter then gone.

SO yes it does seem to happen even on a manual.

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
To get pops and bang are you in manual DSG or do you get them in auto ?

Also does red delete effect MOT or anything ?

I presume it would void warranty ?

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Guess it’s the newer models then....

I have a 2016, manual, 290 with res delete and won’t stop popping and very loudly too. Seems very annoying to have this “problem” as I love the crackles :scary:

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
To get pops and bang are you in manual DSG or do you get them in auto ?

Also does red delete effect MOT or anything ?

I presume it would void warranty ?
From what I have heard it doesn’t affect MOT, warranty I don’t think( correct if wrong) the exhaust is covered by warranty anyway.

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
So who’s going to be the one to ring Seat and ask them what’s the deal?! The dealers won’t have an answer, Seat CS won’t have a scooby and will revert to brand support (who also won’t have the faintest scooby) leaving us with silent cars. They’ll blame an exhaust mod as the reason, which is cr@p because it does it with/without res deletes.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
i wonder how long it will be until the regulations state that the emissions and mpg figures need to reflect the worst 'program'.

and how are the pops and bangs created? any downsides to the engine/cat? I assume its allowing fuel through to the exhaust..

and an old man's perspective: its all a bit juvenile anyway and frankly from what I can see most people do not have anything nice to say about people driving around popping and banging..
You've done it now - next year.
Exhaust popping is usually air being injected into the exhaust on overrun as an emissions measure
Banging and farting on upshifts is due to ignition retard to ease trans loadings. It allows a small amount of unburnt fuel to be ignited by the hot exhaust. Anti lag systems are different again. My understanding is that fuel is injected into the exhaust to keep the turbo spooled up.
I'm old too, and it is juvenile, and I like it. It's like farting in church.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK

I'm not that old (early 30s) and I agree with this, if you are entering a highway, or in a nice country open road, by all means, but where I live in a built up residential area, this is annoying, 1 to 2nd gear 'farting/popping.' Sometimes I hear dual popping, guess there might be 2 cars with VAG 2.0TSI engines following each other quickly I'm guessing Golf Rs and S3 and the like. Sometimes I hear 'nicer' more growly engine sounds without the farting on upshift, I'm guessing these are the V8s of powerful cars. Maybe the new GPF cars only lets you have 5 min of fun, before being civilised again :).

A9BNL

Mar 6, 2019
Indeed I have. Makes a difference, but only maybe 20% more. My old pre-GPF 290 was louder without res-delete and my friends pre-GPF 300 with no res-delete is louder still!
so the MY68/19 290s with GPFs are basically stealth machines without the res delete and carrying out the res delete enhances the sound level overall slightly including the pops and bangs

GordonMcC

Feb 8, 2017
Ayrshire, Scotland
i
so the MY68/19 290s with GPFs are basically stealth machines without the res delete and carrying out the res delete enhances the sound level overall slightly including the pops and bangs
I had the pops and bangs without the res delete on the new 290. Res delete just enhances sound, doesnt give any more pops i dont think. i dont need to keep pressing cupra every 5 minutes. once cupra or sport is selected it will pop and bang all day until i switch off

Reactions: bgb

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
My copra does it in sport or cupra on downchanges between 2.5k-3k, just under 3k is the sweet spot. As others have said does it all day long unless I turn off and restart the engine.

Reactions: bgb

GordonMcC

Feb 8, 2017
Ayrshire, Scotland
My copra does it in sport or cupra on downchanges between 2.5k-3k, just under 3k is the sweet spot. As others have said does it all day long unless I turn off and restart the engine.
put all your windows down and kick down to 2nd from around 30mph....what a noise while waiting for the gear to engage

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
put all your windows down and kick down to 2nd from around 30mph....what a noise while waiting for the gear to engage
I'm one of those folk who look sad with all the windows down when I'm in the mood. Never fails to make me grin lol.

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
I agree that locally the MASSIVE cracks and explosions from some Focus RS guys are intrusive. The woofles from a C63 or M3 are pleasant.

Waiting at the gate on a Breakfast Club Sunday at Haynes Motor Museum in Somerset you need ear defenders. [1200 cars last time in June]

However as mentioned mine stops are a few minutes no GPF fitted as it is October 18 plate R

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise