Mods for my Cupra 290

ghostbustertab

Jun 21, 2016
Hi all,
I'm looking at modding my Cupra 290 and just want some ideas of what's good for performance and looks.
I already have the orange pack (wheels), brembo brakes, side skirts.
I was thinking front splitter and rear diffuser so far?

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Hello!

There’s plenty that can be done and we do like to spend other people’s money on here :)

With regards to looks, the diffuser and front splitter are the obvious additions. TRC, Maxton and Reiger are the main brands people use. Next you could look at lowering springs and wheel spacers to give a lower, wider stance.
Some people wrap the bottom of the front grille - I done it on my 290. Costs about £30 for a pro to do it, or £10 if you fancy a go and get the materials yourself. Some people also add the Maxton rear spoiler lip extension. Not everyone’s cup of tea, but it’s an option. Other than your window/light tinting, or if you fancy going the full hog and getting a JE Design wide body kit, that’s most of the visual mods covered.

Performance mods - most people start with getting the dogbone mount sorted (whether it’s a insert, hybrid or full mount), and bundle that upgrade with some decent tyres. This helps with the wheel hop issue on these cars.
Air intake kit, with the hose, turbo elbow and muffler delete all add a bit of performance and some nice air suction notes. If you’re upgrading these, you may as well get an updated diverter valve or blow off valve at the same time as it’s accessible when the air intake stuff is off the car.
ECU (and TCU if you have a DSG) are most common too. There’s a wide range of tuners available such as Revo, RacingLine and some more bespoke/custom tuners like Unicorn.

@PP Gareth may be able to get you some more information on parts too - he works for Progressive Parts who are a forum sponsor.

It really depends on how far you’re wanting to go with mods :)

PP do a res delete kit for the exhaust which turns it from tame beast to devil demon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Legojon

PP Gareth

Forum Sponsor
Apr 2, 2019
Hi all,
I'm looking at modding my Cupra 290 and just want some ideas of what's good for performance and looks.
I already have the orange pack (wheels), brembo brakes, side skirts.
I was thinking front splitter and rear diffuser so far?
Hello there as Aaron says we do the resonator delete with a group discount can you afford not to buy it lol, We have a wide range of parts available so it really depends on what you thinking of. The R600 intake package is a fantastic bit of kit to improve intake nose and allow more air into the turbo which is never a bad thing.

https://progressiveparts.com/vagsport-seat-leon-cupra-290-resonator-delete-pipe-kit-vagsp10005
Use Discount code CUPRARESDEL

ghostbustertab

Jun 21, 2016
Hello!

There’s plenty that can be done and we do like to spend other people’s money on here :)

With regards to looks, the diffuser and front splitter are the obvious additions. TRC, Maxton and Reiger are the main brands people use. Next you could look at lowering springs and wheel spacers to give a lower, wider stance.
Some people wrap the bottom of the front grille - I done it on my 290. Costs about £30 for a pro to do it, or £10 if you fancy a go and get the materials yourself. Some people also add the Maxton rear spoiler lip extension. Not everyone’s cup of tea, but it’s an option. Other than your window/light tinting, or if you fancy going the full hog and getting a JE Design wide body kit, that’s most of the visual mods covered.

Performance mods - most people start with getting the dogbone mount sorted (whether it’s a insert, hybrid or full mount), and bundle that upgrade with some decent tyres. This helps with the wheel hop issue on these cars.
Air intake kit, with the hose, turbo elbow and muffler delete all add a bit of performance and some nice air suction notes. If you’re upgrading these, you may as well get an updated diverter valve or blow off valve at the same time as it’s accessible when the air intake stuff is off the car.
ECU (and TCU if you have a DSG) are most common too. There’s a wide range of tuners available such as Revo, RacingLine and some more bespoke/custom tuners like Unicorn.

@PP Gareth may be able to get you some more information on parts too - he works for Progressive Parts who are a forum sponsor.

It really depends on how far you’re wanting to go with mods :)

PP do a res delete kit for the exhaust which turns it from tame beast to devil demon!

I've had the re delete done love it,
I'm looking at a DSG map with stage 1 map from R-Tech.
Ppl say don't go for the turbo muffler delete also I'm looking getting at a bigger in-take pipe and turbo elbow

PP Gareth

Forum Sponsor
Apr 2, 2019
Ppl say don't go for the turbo muffler delete also I'm looking getting at a bigger in-take pipe and turbo elbow

Why not have more sound from your turbo we sell lots of muffler deletes so not sure on that one

k290b

Apr 15, 2019
I’ve got a JB4 and vagsport res delete for sale in the classifieds

Deleted member 103408

Why do Ppl say don't go for the turbo muffler delete, Its not the cheapest bit of kit but if the blurb is true it will give you better throttle response and a bit more noise from the turbo. I have one fitted and not had any reason to suspect it caused problems. But if you are talking to R-Tech for a stage 1 map you should be talking to them about what the recommend and the brands they find best to work on your car.

ghostbustertab

Jun 21, 2016
Why do Ppl say don't go for the turbo muffler delete, Its not the cheapest bit of kit but if the blurb is true it will give you better throttle response and a bit more noise from the turbo. I have one fitted and not had any reason to suspect it caused problems. But if you are talking to R-Tech for a stage 1 map you should be talking to them about what the recommend and the brands they find best to work on your car.

I will theOldboy but your cars a beast and it's good to get expert input from the best.

Deleted member 103408

My car thanks you for your kind words.

You can spend a lot of money on the car as there are many many different bits of kit that make the car look different. go and stop faster and handle better.

The quote I always repeat is "Start with tires and suspension, a set of good wheels AND tires is often overlooked in an effort to get more power, but you won't be going faster in any direction without getting that power to the ground" and have a read of this article if you have not done so already https://drivetribe.com/p/performance-mod-order-aoVUJVCiSm2lTKmzR8vL8g?iid=M0Gp7A_SQVOO0HOHqc5y2g.

I personally would also talk with your tuners about Spark Plugs, Coil Packs and Oil to see what the recommend.

You also need to decide if this car is staying with you for a while or just 3 - 5 years in which case you don't want to spend a ton of money on it as you wont get it back, and make sure you talk to your insurance company about the mods to make sure the upgrades are not going to hurt your premiums to much.

The only other change I would always suggest it a top mount brace, it is not a visible mod but does help the car handle better and you can get a decent one for under a 100-00

You could also come to our next car meet on the 1st in Doncaster and see some nice stock and modified cars to help you out.

Reactions: ghostbustertab

ghostbustertab

Jun 21, 2016
My car thanks you for your kind words.

You can spend a lot of money on the car as there are many many different bits of kit that make the car look different. go and stop faster and handle better.

The quote I always repeat is "Start with tires and suspension, a set of good wheels AND tires is often overlooked in an effort to get more power, but you won't be going faster in any direction without getting that power to the ground" and have a read of this article if you have not done so already https://drivetribe.com/p/performance-mod-order-aoVUJVCiSm2lTKmzR8vL8g?iid=M0Gp7A_SQVOO0HOHqc5y2g.

I personally would also talk with your tuners about Spark Plugs, Coil Packs and Oil to see what the recommend.

You also need to decide if this car is staying with you for a while or just 3 - 5 years in which case you don't want to spend a ton of money on it as you wont get it back, and make sure you talk to your insurance company about the mods to make sure the upgrades are not going to hurt your premiums to much.

The only other change I would always suggest it a top mount brace, it is not a visible mod but does help the car handle better and you can get a decent one for under a 100-00

You could also come to our next car meet on the 1st in Doncaster and see some nice stock and modified cars to help you out.

Ooh I should do that and I'll bring my mate too he has a Cupra and looking to mod.
Also what would you day are the tyres?
Everyone is saying PS4 or what about Goodyear's eagle F1

Brackett

May 12, 2019
Hello there as Aaron says we do the resonator delete with a group discount can you afford not to buy it lol,
Hi,

What's the overall cost of this, with the discount you mention, fitting, etc?

And to a cynic (me), what's the difference with your part vs me getting the exhaust place round the corner to cut out the resonater and put in a piece of steel? (not a criticism, just a genuine question).

Lastly, the ST (like mine) exhausts are I believe quieter as standard than the others (extra resonaters?). Everyone says the res delete is good, but is it as good on an ST? Have you got any videos of an ST with it?

Lots of questions - thanks!

Deleted member 103408

Ooh I should do that and I'll bring my mate too he has a Cupra and looking to mod.
Also what would you day are the tyres?
Everyone is saying PS4 or what about Goodyear's eagle F1

For road tyres the PS4S Are the best in my opinion, for track work I use the Cup 2 tyres as they are better suited to that sort of work.

@paddy6789 is currently testing out the goodyear tyres from memory

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
I’ve got the new Goodyear Supersports which are new to the market and are a competitor to the Michelin PS4S’s. I’ve used the Michelin’s before too. So far, they are on par with each other - I’ve had them on for about 3 weeks and tested them in wet, damp, dry conditions and can’t fault them at all.

I would’ve also said the Michelin’s were the best before getting these Goodyear’s. just food for thought :)

ghostbustertab

Jun 21, 2016
So
I’ve got the new Goodyear Supersports which are new to the market and are a competitor to the Michelin PS4S’s. I’ve used the Michelin’s before too. So far, they are on par with each other - I’ve had them on for about 3 weeks and tested them in wet, damp, dry conditions and can’t fault them at all.

I would’ve also said the Michelin’s were the best before getting these Goodyear’s. just food for thought :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTe

So what would you buy if you was me?

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
If I was a neutral looking in and I’d not tested both tyres, I’d go for the PS4S because they’re proven and so many people rave about them. And they’re a fantastic tyre.

However, as I’ve tested both now, I have no preference. Maybe in a few months, I’ll have a better understanding of how the tread life is on the Goodyear’s and that may sway me one way or the other. The Michelin’s lasted forever. If these don’t last as long, then Michelin’s it is. If they last as long, I’d probably go Goodyear’s, purely based on cost.

That said, you can find PS4S tyres cheaper than Goodyear’s if you look hard enough.

Can you tell that I’m confused?! haha

Reactions: Damo H

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Tyre reviews say the Good year SuperSports are similar grip in dry, better in ‘subjective’ wet handling (on a BMW M2).

They say PS4S are comfier and offer better wet braking and aquaplaning, again all on a BMW M2.

Now an M2 is a different beast to a Cupra but it’s still a good comparison.

The only unknown yet really is tyre wear. The Continental SportContact are on a par with the PS4S and SuperSports. But their tyre life is half that of the PS4S.

So until I see how long the tyres last on @paddy6789 I’d say PS4S for now.

Reactions: ghostbustertab

PP Gareth

Forum Sponsor
Apr 2, 2019
Hi,

What's the overall cost of this, with the discount you mention, fitting, etc?

And to a cynic (me), what's the difference with your part vs me getting the exhaust place round the corner to cut out the resonater and put in a piece of steel? (not a criticism, just a genuine question).

Lastly, the ST (like mine) exhausts are I believe quieter as standard than the others (extra resonaters?). Everyone says the res delete is good, but is it as good on an ST? Have you got any videos of an ST with it?

Lots of questions - thanks!

Hi thanks for the reply can you pm me to discuss further please

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.