Anyone know what this part is?

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
Anyone know what this part is called and what it’s for? Black plastic bit just below where the rear quarter meets the bumper. Looks like maybe to stop stones from being flicked up from the wheels or something

I’ve noticed the other side is missing this and it’s annoying my OCD. Thanks.

Attachments

• D3874658-E507-4C19-BE39-2279C57A688E.jpeg
    D3874658-E507-4C19-BE39-2279C57A688E.jpeg
    461.7 KB · Views: 110

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
You’ll see these small plastic extenders fitted to quite a few performance cars with wider wheels and tyres so presumably, you have a Cupra. They’re not to stop stones being flicked up - they’re intended to cover any exposed tyre tread when viewed from above the wheel looking downwards.

My VW has optional factory fit 7j wheels and doesn’t have these small extenders. If it’d had the standard 7.5j wheels, it would’ve had the extenders fitted from the factory.

Reactions: benuk

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Having taken mine off as with spacers the wheels rubbed, I believe it’s to cover the pointed piece of metal that is the end of the arch panel. Others say it’s because the wheels on the Cupra are that large it’s needed for some regulation.

Last edited:

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
Having taken mine off as with spacers the wheels rubbed, I believe it’s to cover the pointer piece of metal that is the end of the arch panel. Others say it’s because the wheels on the Cupra are that large it’s needed for some regulation.

Thanks for the replies

How are they attached if you don’t mind explaining, do they clip in or something, couldn’t see any screws

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Thanks for the replies

How are they attached if you don’t mind explaining, do they clip in or something, couldn’t see any screws
The rears is just double sided sticky tape I’m told. Although I think the estate like mine maybe different.

The front is a combination of double sided sticky tape and a screw hidden inside the arch liner. The screw is the one that connects the top corner of the bumper to the metal arch. The piece of plastic has a whole that the screw goes through. If fitted properly it should sit on top of the bumper piece. On my Carbon one side want fitted properly and at between the bumper piece and the screw hole of the arch.

You can just rip them off with brute force, it for the amount of time it takes to undo the 3/4 screws of the arch liner to peel back, it’s way enough to take it off properly.

Butty

Sep 7, 2018
Reg 100. The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986

(3) No motor vehicle or trailer shall be used for any purpose for which it is so unsuitable as to cause or be likely to cause danger or nuisance to any person in or on the vehicle or trailer or on a road.
e.g. too much rain spray flicked up or pedestrians getting caught on a rotating tyre.

Its supposedly an MOT failure, though I guess it would have to be preety obvious a la Carlos Fandango get the attention of the tester.

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
Anyone know the part number? Or somewhere I can look it up, it’s been a long time I’ve have to order seat parts

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Please excuse the crude drawing:

Red is the piece itself.
Blue are the fixings, ie the screw through the bumper (green) connection and arch (orange), as well as the double sided sticky tape that holds it onto the inside of the metal arch panel.

7E90AE8D-F9B4-4C33-909E-F99017B71369.jpeg

Reactions: Benjiman and benuk

Deleted member 103408

Reg 100. The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986

(3) No motor vehicle or trailer shall be used for any purpose for which it is so unsuitable as to cause or be likely to cause danger or nuisance to any person in or on the vehicle or trailer or on a road.
e.g. too much rain spray flicked up or pedestrians getting caught on a rotating tyre.

Its supposedly an MOT failure, though I guess it would have to be preety obvious a la Carlos Fandango get the attention of the tester.

I have had mine removed for many years as I lowered my car and they were rubbing on these items.
Re MOT I have been through 3 with various test stations and never had any problems.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members