Front electric window regulator.

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
Hello people....
Is it a straightforward job to replace the electric window regulator.....my window just drops of its own accord atm, and is held up with gaffer tape !!

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Yeah pretty simple really, there's plenty of how tos online for the mk1 Leon, mk4 Golf & Bora.

I've done loads so can whip them off super fast now.

The rears are similar but slightly more faffy due to the glass retaining plug, the fronts use 2x 10mm bolts to clamp the glass to the regulator so it comes out very easily.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Type this into google “mk4 golf front window regulator change”
Best to be prepared with butyl tape for re-sealing the door carrier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
Well, I attempted to replace the complete regulator earlier and the existing one is bloody riveted on !!!. Is the general idea to drill the rivets off and replace with nuts and bolts ?
Also, I simply couldn't remove that electrical connector going to the door lock mechanism..... almost seems do be glued in.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
On Seat Leon’s they are held in with reusable plastic rivets but on VWs I think they used metal rivets so they will need to be drilled out (you could try to drill out the centre of the river and leave the outer part to reuse )
The plug has a small tang that you have to push in as you pull the connector out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
Outside the big metal plate is a black plastic flange about 10mm in diameter, which turns into a metal rivet on the inside..... don't quite understand it.
Anyways, I'm gonna order some M4 dome head screws with washers and nyloc nuts and replace the lot.

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I never bother drilling the regulator rivets out, it's so much quicker and easier just swap the entire regulator panel over.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

lightup

May 27, 2019
its a **** job. done 3 new sliders in in 2 years. the last time both front windows decided to drop on the same day. go figure