Seat Leon X-perience too much wheel spin and DSG hesitation

Aug 12, 2019
Hello everyone,
I bought an used 2015 Seat Leon X-perience 4x4 with DSG, it is a 2.0 CR TDI version factory 184HP, but my car has ABT electronics, so it is about 210HP and 420nm.
It feels powerfull, i checked the acceleration to 0-100km/h but i am not impressed.
I tried everything i think, turn ESC Sport mode in CAR menu, turned on Sport mode in drive profile menu, not just the shifter in S mode.
I use Launch controll methood, left foot on brake right on throttle, revs up to 2500Rpm, release brake.
I have too much wheelspin that way, and the DSG shift up to 2. gear and immediately to 3. and again immediately to back to 2. and accelerating forward, and have too much lost time with this hesitation.
You can check it on a video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jVNclAaT1I69mnwbmlPDO_pblB55x5G0/view?usp=sharing

Anyone else has this hesitation?
That much wheel spin is normal?
Thank you!

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@bojlihal - if you’re experiencing excessive wheel spin, that could indicate a problem with the Haldex system in your car. This has been discussed a few times over on VWROC.com forum by VW Golf R owners.

Aug 12, 2019
@bojlihal - if you’re experiencing excessive wheel spin, that could indicate a problem with the Haldex system in your car. This has been discussed a few times over on VWROC.com forum by VW Golf R owners.
I think haldex is good, 3weeks ago i was in seat shop and, changed the haldex oil, and cleaned the filter, and stand off in the air all four wheels was spin, and had not any error message in ECU.
It might be early software version for ESC and DSG? I have not checked this in seat shop yet.

thebrief1979

Dec 1, 2017
Worcester
Cheap tyres are a possibility?
Also I am not that sure launch control eliminates wheel spin totally?? My 184 is 2wd but I can sometimes get off from a standstill quicker without launch control.

But I agree you shouldn’t get a lot of wheel spin in a 4x4

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Your haldex might already have been knackered before you had it cleaned if the previous owner didn’t have it cleaned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
I tried a Cupra Ateca, no wheelspin. Likewise with many vids of Golfs etc. Which wheels spin? I think you may have a diff problem.
That Mighty Car Mod outfit bought a Golf R with a stuffed Haldex, but it still drove normally in FWD.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Cheap tyres are a possibility?
Also I am not that sure launch control eliminates wheel spin totally?? My 184 is 2wd but I can sometimes get off from a standstill quicker without launch control.

But I agree you shouldn’t get a lot of wheel spin in a 4x4
Launch doesn't eliminate wheelspin, AWD does. My Cupra fries tyres even on a launch off idle, L/C makes it worse.

Reactions: r3d

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Which tyres (brand/model) and how much tread left do they have? Saying that, I had crappy Bridgestone Turranzas ER300 Ecopia on my Leon TDI 150 DSG, and these would not infrequently wheelspin a bit in the dry, and quite freqently in the wet... but it's a FWD. Any ideas if it's only the fronts spinning or the 4WD isn't sending power to the rears?

Aug 12, 2019
Thank you for helping me everyone!
In this week i will make some investigation, i will check and recording that the rear wheel is spinning or not on grass when accelerating.
3 weeks ago in stand off all the 4 wheel was spinning for sure.
Before this i noticed some other phenomenon whit everything is ON, ESC normal, in gear 1 or sometimes in gear 2. slowly rolling then hardly accelerating, traction controll lamp lit up for few moment and hearing the wheels spinning a little. Is this normal?

My tires are Michelin Primacy 4 and made of 2018 and have tread depth about 4-5mm.
Can not be caused by the ABT electronic? Probably messing the signals and the ESC?

phate101101

Oct 6, 2015
"traction controll lamp lit up for few moment and hearing the wheels spinning a little. Is this normal?"

with ESC on, seeing the light flash is normal if your car is detecting wheel spin, that's it attempting to correct it by reducing power and other magic I don't understand.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Well hearing wheels scrabbling for grip while the traction control does it's thing, doesn't always mean there is an issue. I can even get this on my 1.0TSI Ibiza, if my wheels are turning (into a road) and I put full power, the inner wheel (I think) would light up and spin, which the traction control lights up. ABT remap would have also given more torque to the engine, and thus tendency for the torque to overwhelm the tyres, and thus TC goes into overdrive and try to compensate.
Primacy 4 are decent touring tyres (I have these on my Volvo V40). I can't confirm, but if you had more sporty grippier orientated tyres, i doubt you would be able to 'light them up' as much or frequently. Eg..if Michelin, their Pilot Sport range, or Goodyear's Eagle F1 range.

Wait till you see this:

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
My tires are Michelin Primacy 4 and made of 2018 and have tread depth about 4-5mm.
Can not be caused by the ABT electronic? Probably messing the signals and the ESC?

I went from Primacy 3's on my GT86 to PS3's, there was a huge improvement in traction. Primacy's are OK, but not performance tyres.

Reactions: Peller

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I went from Primacy 3's on my GT86 to PS3's, there was a huge improvement in traction. Primacy's are OK, but not performance tyres.
Tyres make the difference, Primacy tyres are a hoon on a wet round-about in a GT86! Too much fun, the GT are such an under rated car at times!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Tyres make the difference, Primacy tyres are a hoon on a wet round-about in a GT86! Too much fun, the GT are such an under rated car at times!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Even on the PS3's it would slide like a looney whenever you wanted it to.

MatTheMerciless

Feb 16, 2019
It’s the tyres for sure mate. Primacy’s are not performance tyres. Trying to slam 200+ horsepower through them from a standing start will make them spin all day long. Get some performance rubber on and report back :)

Aug 12, 2019
Some update guys.
After a lot of reading i decided to get a VCDS cable, i did not want to guess.
By this great tutorial https://www.haldexrepairs.co.uk/generation-5-haldex-fault-finding-repair-guide/
i checked my AWD menu, i found one fault, this : 16670 – All-Wheel Drive – C1113 07 [008] – Mechanical Failure (typically pump type fault)
Firstly i horrified, but after i see it was only intermitten and occured once with time stamp when i tested again and again the hard accelerations.
So the error could be cleared.
After that in Basic settings menu, i Reseted all the adaptation value, and performed a Pump learning function.
While learning i heard the haldex motor was working, and the process succesfully ended, so i calmed down. :)
After i warmed up the car, i made the test.
I am so impressed! Even in dusty road in 1. gear and 2. gear absolutely no wheel turn and chirp and no Traction warning light any more! :clap:
I really feel it pushes from the back.
I do not know what was the fault, why this happened. Probably not enough pressure was made by the pump and the learning helped.
I saw 3 weeks ago the haldex fluid drained out and it was like new, clear yelowish color.
I got a service guy to cleaned the pump plastic filter and it's housing too, and only had a very little dust was in the pump's filter.
So i think it did not work properly for the previous owner or did not use very often.
I am happy now, and i hope it will last long!
Thank you for your help! :worship: If i have any update i will post it.

Reactions: LouG

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Some update guys.
After a lot of reading i decided to get a VCDS cable, i did not want to guess.
By this great tutorial https://www.haldexrepairs.co.uk/generation-5-haldex-fault-finding-repair-guide/
i checked my AWD menu, i found one fault, this : 16670 – All-Wheel Drive – C1113 07 [008] – Mechanical Failure (typically pump type fault)
Firstly i horrified, but after i see it was only intermitten and occured once with time stamp when i tested again and again the hard accelerations.
So the error could be cleared.
After that in Basic settings menu, i Reseted all the adaptation value, and performed a Pump learning function.
While learning i heard the haldex motor was working, and the process succesfully ended, so i calmed down. :)
After i warmed up the car, i made the test.
I am so impressed! Even in dusty road in 1. gear and 2. gear absolutely no wheel turn and chirp and no Traction warning light any more! :clap:
I really feel it pushes from the back.
I do not know what was the fault, why this happened. Probably not enough pressure was made by the pump and the learning helped.
I saw 3 weeks ago the haldex fluid drained out and it was like new, clear yelowish color.
I got a service guy to cleaned the pump plastic filter and it's housing too, and only had a very little dust was in the pump's filter.
So i think it did not work properly for the previous owner or did not use very often.
I am happy now, and i hope it will last long!
Thank you for your help! :worship: If i have any update i will post it.
Well done. Thanks for the update.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise