Removing/ Dechroming Grill Surround

Burn4

Sep 30, 2018
Hey guys, had a search around but can't find a definitive answer for this;

Is it possible to remove the chrome grill surround on a facelift MK3 Leon without removing the bumper?

Wanting to get it sprayed gloss black but don't fancy removing the whole bumper if I can avoid it.

Tempted just to buy a new one and have it sprayed then cut the old one off if it's not possible without removing the bumper...

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
Nope, the bumper has to come off. I had mine wrapped and they priced without doing this and I knew they had too. He wasn’t best pleased. Looks good though
2db2a9a1c08f03a169dc58b30eb50236.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Burn4

DAV3G46

May 7, 2015
Pretty sure there's someone on here who's masked off the chrome and plasti dipped it might be in the what did you do to your leon post

Burn4

Sep 30, 2018
Looks great! Really makes a difference. Maybe I'll try wrapping it on the car, worth a try. I'm sure I read on here that someone else had

Reactions: Hag

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
Looks great! Really makes a difference. Maybe I'll try wrapping it on the car, worth a try. I'm sure I read on here that someone else had

Just need to upgrade my alloys and add the Cupra rear spoiler and job done. Thinking of these but not sure? What dyu think?
27d67784e962720cd3c80a7c8e31b0ec.jpg

Burn4

Sep 30, 2018
Yeah they're pretty nice man! You going with the cupra spoiler then not the aerodynamic one? I preferred the cupra one but it's hard to get hold of, quite a bit more expensive than the aero one too, they're about £125 on eBay atm which seems a bargain, I'm tempted even though I wanted the cupra one more

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
Price will win for me and the Aero one looks decent too. Just waiting for a price from a friend of mine to paint and fit for me

davidstarkey11

Jun 7, 2015
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hey guys, had a search around but can't find a definitive answer for this;

Is it possible to remove the chrome grill surround on a facelift MK3 Leon without removing the bumper?

Wanting to get it sprayed gloss black but don't fancy removing the whole bumper if I can avoid it.

Tempted just to buy a new one and have it sprayed then cut the old one off if it's not possible without removing the bumper...

As far as I'm aware, you need to remove the bumper to be able to remove the grill surround. Bit of a nightmare to be honest. It's easy enough to Plastidip/ Wrap it whilst it's on the car.

Burn4

Sep 30, 2018
Well I'm wanting the rear windows a bit darker anyway so got a quote for the back 3 windows and vinyl wrapping the surround and they've quoted me £220. Does that sound like a decent price?

If not does anyone have any recommendations for tinting/ vinyl companies in Birmingham?

davidstarkey11

Jun 7, 2015
Newcastle upon Tyne
Well I'm wanting the rear windows a bit darker anyway so got a quote for the back 3 windows and vinyl wrapping the surround and they've quoted me £220. Does that sound like a decent price?

If not does anyone have any recommendations for tinting/ vinyl companies in Birmingham?

Hmmm I'd say that sounds about right. £200 of that is probably just the tints tbh. Wrapping the surround for them is just a little fiddle job.

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
Sounds like a good price. My grille alone was £40 and tints are normally £180+vat

Greenman

Sep 6, 2017
Bit late to the party but Luna Window Tints in Manchester quoted me £100 for the back windows and rear screen. 5 star reviews and offer 4 monthly payments if you're tight like me :cheeky: - gunna get him to price up the dechroming all the way round too as they offer that as a service!

robby71

Sep 3, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
Bit late to the party but Luna Window Tints in Manchester quoted me £100 for the back windows and rear screen. 5 star reviews and offer 4 monthly payments if you're tight like me :cheeky: - gunna get him to price up the dechroming all the way round too as they offer that as a service!

Let us know how much they charge to wrap the front grill as i'm wanting mine doing - i've been quoted £90+vat and £180 just for the grill :(

Greenman

Sep 6, 2017
Let us know how much they charge to wrap the front grill as i'm wanting mine doing - i've been quoted £90+vat and £180 just for the grill :(
The guys at Luna Window Tint in Manchester did a mint job of tinting the rear windows.

I asked about the front badge and grill surround and he said £40-£50 for a lifetime warranty job!? If I'd have had more time i'd have booked it in there and then. Let me know if you're planning on going and i'll speak to him again.

robby71

Sep 3, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
The guys at Luna Window Tint in Manchester did a mint job of tinting the rear windows.

I asked about the front badge and grill surround and he said £40-£50 for a lifetime warranty job!? If I'd have had more time i'd have booked it in there and then. Let me know if you're planning on going and i'll speak to him again.

That's a great price, did he say if it's a bumper off job or on car?

Greenman

Sep 6, 2017
That's a great price, did he say if it's a bumper off job or on car?
He is convinced he can do a proper job with the bumper on and he finished off by saying worst case scenario he'll tae the bumper off and do it. He showed me an Audi S5 he was working on at the time and the grille was quite intricate and he did all that without removing it. lifetime warranty too!