OEM clutch max bhp/torque?

Jester

Aug 17, 2018
Entirely depends on age\condition of the clutch, engine\state of tune and driving style. Some say anything past stage one will kill it, others have used OEM with stage 2+ for a time with no probs. It's impossible to say it'll die after X number of miles or Y power\torque figures.

From what I've researched basically if in good nick it's life will be reduced but should hold up to anything below stage 2+, if already borderline then good luck to you.

For reference my FR TFSI was running stage 1 w/ 251/290 with a fresh OEM clutch for 20k miles, have since covered another 5k with stage 2 274/327, no issues. I believe the car had done 5 years & 40k previous to that lot with the original clutch on the stage 1, along with the mileage on standard tune from new. Now on 96k so they last well. I'm tempted to go 2+ and take a chance on the clutch as it's so fresh.

gurpz94

Feb 12, 2019
My clutch is on it's way out, MK2 LCR running about 300 bhp (stage 1). In 4th gear is slips under full throttle so I'm sure when I go stage 2+ it won't hold up

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
I've had 350bhp on my stock clutch for a good 4 years now and no problems at all, touch wood. BUT....my driving style isn't fast, I don't rag it about and floor it at every opportunity, I don't race people away from the lights, I've never actually timed my 0-60mph time. I have a lot of mechanical sympathy I guess you could say. The car's 10 years old and on its original clutch.

Jester

Aug 17, 2018
I've had 350bhp on my stock clutch for a good 4 years now and no problems at all, touch wood. BUT....my driving style isn't fast, I don't rag it about and floor it at every opportunity, I don't race people away from the lights, I've never actually timed my 0-60mph time. I have a lot of mechanical sympathy I guess you could say. The car's 10 years old and on its original clutch.

Looking at the part numbers for Sach aftermarket upgrades the Cupra and the FR use the same clutch, which bodes well for those of us running lower torque\power on the K03 with standard clutches:

https://www.sachsperformance.com/en/clutch-kit/reinforced-clutch/seat-leon-1p/2-0-tfsi-147kw
https://www.sachsperformance.com/en/clutch-kit/performance-clutch/seat-leon-1p/2-0-tfsi-177kw

Totally agree on difference driving style makes. I get it in gear as soon as possible with minimal clutch slip and generally don't hammer it everywhere!

ChocoMilkShark

Jul 25, 2018
So after looking into it over the time since I posted iv found out that the stock clutch is used on a Golf R 4motion and that has the same bhp as mine (after remap) I called LUK and they said it should be ok.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members