Manual handbrake with DSG

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
I never put the handbrake on in my drive, as the cars front wheels are against two pieces of wood against the kerb at the end of my drive. It means no sticking on when left after rain, or warping the discs after parked when brakes are still hot.

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
I only use the handbrake on slopes. Park locks the trans. So, unless that fails, the car's not going anywhere. There have been failures, but they're rare, just like handbrakes failing.
The rolling moment is just drivetrain lash being taken up.
This.
Done the same on all my cars previously too. I don't drive my Cupra every day so don't want brakes to start sticking, especially if it's been wet when it gets put away (it's parked in a garage 6/7 days a week

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
AFIK and from experience. In a line of traffic etc, in the event of a rear ender when the car is in PARK and no parking brake is enabled the transmission gets smashed.
If in park on a slippery surface it may get pushed along with wheels jammed/locked like a skid.

Check the manual for T's & C's

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
My experience, coming from 2 DSG Seat and current car Geartronic Volvo V40 all with manual handbrake. When I paked in my usual spot at home, I know the place its completely flat, eg...even if I put the car in park, let go brakes, it doesn't move...I don't pull the handbrake. If I park it elsewhere, if I let go of the brake after P, and it rolls till the transmission stops it moving, I pull the handbrake. When I'm on an obvious hill I would right away pull the handbrake even before I let go the foot brake, and 'curb' my wheel in the direction of the pavement (habit of driving in San Francisco, it's by law you need to do this), so if either the brakes go, it will firstly be stopped by the car being unable to mount the pavement, else, it would just end up sideway and stuck rather than hitting obstaces or people rolling down the hill.

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Sorry to sound Like an idiot, but why wouldn’t you use a handbrake when parked (car locked, overnight etc)? I can’t understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrian300

Jun 10, 2019
Im on my 4th dsg, current cupra 300st and last car had auto handbrake so it applies it.

But last 2 before that had manual handbrakes. Had those 2 for a combined 11-12 years. Never put the handbrake on, on the flat. Never had any issues and handbrake never needed adjusting due to this as it was rarely used.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Why would you?
If it's not on a hill and in park (or gear) its not going anywhere

I understand that put what’s the benefit of not simply pulling it on? Or the downside? Is it just lazines? I don’t mean to sound like an idiot... I just wanna know why haha

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I understand that put what’s the benefit of not simply pulling it on? Or the downside? Is it just lazines? I don’t mean to sound like an idiot... I just wanna know why haha

Having lived in a climate that tends to get snow and rain, or a mixture in winter, pulling the handbrake can lead to pads being stuck due to frozen water in the mechanism overnight. Constant handbrake pulling may wear out the cables, some cars you would notice, at first, you pull 2 clicks up and it's tight, over time, ends up 5 clicks etc.
Also I have heard stories of e-handbrakes not releasing, either due to motor issue, or dead battery etc...also e-handbrakes are a PITA when trying to park on a steep slope in a manual. As it's either fully applied, or fully released, there is no halfway point, where you can balance the car give some revs, then drop the manual handbrake and go. Do this on one with e-brake, the engine will stall. This is my experience with an Audi A3 manual with e-brake (maybe just lack of skill or not knowing how to put the e-brake at a half force). I mean there is hill hold these days, but it doesn't hold if you want to reverse up a hill!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.