Sticky Boot Handle

Aug 12, 2019
Birmingham
Hi all,

I've got a Mk3.5 Leon ST FR. I've noticed that when I open the boot, the SEAT badge/handle stays pulled out and I have to push it back in each time after closing the boot to be able to open it again. I'm guessing this is not normal? Has anyone else had this? Going to give it a quick squirt with WD40 to see if that loosens it up, but if anyone has any other ideas I'd gladly give them a go.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Well that normal for Ibizas back in 2009, how can these problems return so easily? My older daughter's Nov 2009 Ibiza needed a standard action to be carried out on her car when it was quite new - ie a TPS which replaced the badge/handle with a revised version.

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Hi all,

I've got a Mk3.5 Leon ST FR. I've noticed that when I open the boot, the SEAT badge/handle stays pulled out and I have to push it back in each time after closing the boot to be able to open it again. I'm guessing this is not normal? Has anyone else had this? Going to give it a quick squirt with WD40 to see if that loosens it up, but if anyone has any other ideas I'd gladly give them a go.

Mine does the same very annoying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
So my daughter might have that as well as a sticking petrol flap door lock to look out for, nice, I'll need to suggest that she refuels a bit earlier than she previously did!

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Mine did that too when it was about 3 years old, sprayed with WD40 and and opened and shut the lock a few times to lubricate all parts. Has never stuck in the 2+ years since.

Where did you spray the WD40?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Wouldn't be using WD40, it's not a lubricant. Use the likes of 3 in 1 oil.
Or use white lithium grease - the type that many dealers apply to car door hinges.

Used this on my up and over garage door rollers a few times and it makes the door operation much easier and smoother, and the effects last much longer than with any other product I’ve used. It comes in an aerosol can with one of those little plastic pipes to insert into the nozzle on the can so you can direct the product accurately into confined spaces.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Wouldn't be using WD40, it's not a lubricant. Use the likes of 3 in 1 oil.
Not according to the maker, my can has on the back "lubricates and protects power tools" and also "cleans, lubricates and protects engine parts" among many other uses. I have been using the stuff on everything from locks to cars and motor bikes for most of my life and it is great stuff.

Reactions: Rooster

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I’d use WD40 for cleaning and very short term lubing like while using a hedge trimmer, but never for longer term stuff, in door locks all its doing is washing out the proper aged grease and replacing it with WD40.

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
I had to take our last Golf back to the dealers after they sprayed that much white grease on the door hinges it was running down the sill! And the door check strap STILL groaned. A quick spray with WD in the right spot and then some lube did the trick. It's great for freeing stuff off and cleaning rust etc but not a good long term lubricant.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The handle is basically two bits of plastic with the inner part pivoting on a steel pin that goes through both. The steel pin rusts, which is why the handle sticks. Well, one of the reasons. In the winter water freezes in there and that jams it as well.

WD40 will loosen it off but will wash out very quickly. If you remove the handle you can work vaseline or lithium grease into the holes in the sides where the pin locates and hopefully keep it moving for longer.

wati25

May 22, 2016
Happened to mine. Mentioned it to the dealer when it was in for a service and they replaced it under warranty.