Dashcam

kevp2518

Aug 26, 2008
Manchester
Hi there,

Recently taken delivery of a 2019 Leon Cupra 290 and was wondering if anybody had recommendations on a front a rear Dashcam?
I had a cheap one in my old car, but really want one that doesn't plug into the cigarette port.
has anybody used the once that you can get directly from SEAT themselves?
Car is on lease so cannot mess around too much with it myself

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
Firstly, hate to break it to you but you have a MK3, not a MK4!

Secondly, i have a Thinkware F770 2CH front and rear, fully hidden, hardwired with parking mode and has been faultless :thumbup:

Lease will not care about this camera at all..As long as you return the car to them in a 'Fair wear & Tear' state :D

Reactions: kevp2518

indyjones

Aug 14, 2017
Firstly, hate to break it to you but you have a MK3, not a MK4!

Secondly, i have a Thinkware F770 2CH front and rear, fully hidden, hardwired with parking mode and has been faultless :thumbup:

Lease will not care about this camera at all..As long as you return the car to them in a 'Fair wear & Tear' state :D

Just looked that camera up and it looks really good, any chance of a couple of pictures installed please?

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
Just looked that camera up and it looks really good, any chance of a couple of pictures installed please?

I don’t have any on my phone, but here’s what I posted when done. I’ll get a pic of the rear tomorrow for you! I’ll also find the SD cart I brought as they are funny with types and brands, my one has been proven to work and so far is ace. 128gb with continues driving and parking mode at its. It’s sensitive last a month and half before full.

Here’s my instal of a Thinkware F770 2Ch (front and rear)

The hardest part was getting around the B pillar, and still haven’t found how I’m dealing with the excess rear length cable. To be finished another day..

Fuses used were the 12v socket moved to constant power, and the rear windscreen wiper (No. 47) as my switched.

All works as should once I messed around with the parking bit within app, ie sensitivity for motion.

As a “FYI” i installed on the left of the rearview mirror to avoid seeing it... I now can’t unslide the unit haha.

It’s not coming off anyway, but just a side note!

OH and also, used two 5A fuses on the split connector. Probably should use 3A but only had 5’s at hand.

Reactions: indyjones

Elliot29

Apr 25, 2010
I have got the Nextbase 522GW and rear camera fitted to my new Cupra R ST :) It really is brilliant, can't reccommend enough!

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
I have a next-base 312gw hardwired so it records 24/7. Great camera. I do need a rear one though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heliophile

May 1, 2016
Manchester
I have a BlackVue 750 2 channel hardwired by Halfords and if works fine, but was overpriced. One tip is to get a memory card big enough to keep at least a week of recordings so you can it to challenge any penalties received by post.

The rear camera needs its brightness at maximum to compensate for the (standard) tint. So I guess checking your model has that adjustment would be a good idea too.

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
I'm so confused, was this in the MK4 sub folder originally?? As my first post seems odd now :roflmao:

Reactions: Phil13

Rowan83

Dec 5, 2017
I have a next-base 312gw hardwired so it records 24/7. Great camera. I do need a rear one though!

Does it not drain the car battery? I was going to do this but told it would.

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Does it not drain the car battery? I was going to do this but told it would.

Nope but does depend on the miles you do, I do quite a lot of long journeys a week. If I done 5k a year I’d not run it perm. I do around 10k a year. Haven’t had any issues and had it installed perm. Since I’ve owned the car. Makes me feel much safer Parking it in the knowledge I can see anyone hitting it or vandalising it if needed. Just make sure you get a 128gb SD Card to hold all of the clips. I think I get 1 day, 1 night and until 11am the next day before the previous days clips start getting overwritten.

If I was going to park a long time say in an airport for a week without using the car, I would unplug the live cable from the camera and simply plug the cigarette lighter one it comes with in and leave in parking mode so if anyone did hit it it would record the 2 mins then turn off again.

Last edited:

Adrian300

Jun 10, 2019
I have an anker dro2d mid range cam but very good. Is highly recommend it and also has good reviews, check internet and you tube.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AUKEY-Cameras-Wide-Angle-G-Sensor-Dual-Port/dp/B075S7W6FR

I initially had this hardwired in as i always hardwire my dashcams so its neater and more discreet, but recently changed to a different hardwire kit which plugs into the obd port, this allows parking mode and protects the battery.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07N775LPM?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

With this method, anyone could fit it.

Hth

Adrian

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kinetic

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
I've fitted a BlackVue 4k to mine, front and rear cams. Brilliantly clear images with some handy and useful features, but BlackVue's do cost a fair bit.
It's hardwired in with a magic pro power box that allows it to record in parking mode but turns it off when battery voltage gets to a specified value so the battery doesn't ever go flat. I made a guide how to fit a dash cam on here, it's in the guides section if you need info on fitting one :thumbup:

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
I've fitted a BlackVue 4k to mine, front and rear cams. Brilliantly clear images with some handy and useful features, but BlackVue's do cost a fair bit.
It's hardwired in with a magic pro power box that allows it to record in parking mode but turns it off when battery voltage gets to a specified value so the battery doesn't ever go flat. I made a guide how to fit a dash cam on here, it's in the guides section if you need info on fitting one :thumbup:

Link to the guide? I am about to buy the exact same camera - a colleague at work is selling one he did not use or install for a very good price.

Reactions: Lozzy15