Oil smell

Silverfoxxxx

Sep 27, 2018
I’ve recently noticed after about an hours or so drive a distinct oily smell coming into the car after parking up, also get on occasional puff of white smoke when flooring it but does only seem to happen on the first acceleration as if clearing some sort of build up.

Car is stage 1 APR mapped Cupra R 73k.

Any ideas, coolant levels are fine and the right colour which is what comes up when I google white smoke.

Update after getting home today and checking I reckon it’s got through being near max on the dipstick to near min within 2 months, not sure on mileage but definitely not high mileage usage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jester

Aug 17, 2018
You sure it's white? Grey can be oil too, the fact it's smells oily and slowly dropping oil level and not coolant suggests it's burning oil not water.
Based on information provided I'd suspect the PCV system to be at fault.

Silverfoxxxx

Sep 27, 2018
Looked white, but you had to properly look to notice it so I may have been wrong.

I ragged it for about 40 mins when out the other day and it hasn’t smoked in the past three days, may have been a build up of some kind as I tend to do shorter or stuck in traffic journeys of late.

As far as the PCV issue I have looked at possibly going the delete route, do you know if this is a costly garage job?

Jester

Aug 17, 2018
Ah sounds like just a build up of condensation-related gunk and it's cleared itself out.

Personally wouldn't bother doing a PCV delete as to do it properly with a decent oil separator is a lot of money. I chose to replace the PCV parts with the latest revision and get an intake clean every 30k.

Reactions: Silverfoxxxx

Silverfoxxxx

Sep 27, 2018
Ah sounds like just a build up of condensation-related gunk and it's cleared itself out.

Personally wouldn't bother doing a PCV delete as to do it properly with a decent oil separator is a lot of money. I chose to replace the PCV parts with the latest revision and get an intake clean every 30k.
I’ve booked her in for a service and see what they can find with the oil issue, I’ve gone though almost max to min on the dipstick in a couple of months which doesn’t bode well , but also after googling seems it could literally be anything, lol.

Silverfoxxxx

Sep 27, 2018
Well the garage couldn’t find any issues with the engine, pressure tested all good, no seeable leaks, pcv all good, booted it last night and puff of smoke again.

The only thing they said was I’ve got an oil burner and will have to keep an eye on levels, unfortunately they’ve had some 2.0 fsi Vag engines similar.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise