Bye bye Leon, Hello Golf

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
As I mentioned in another thread the Leon was moved on this week and I picked up myself a Golf GTD

I looked at 4 examples before settling on this one. The ones nearest me were all 5dr, black and at Arnold Clark. 2 of those things don't appeal to me and I didn't want another black car.

I looked at a 3dr Carbon Grey example but we couldn't agree on a deal. This one then appeared over 150 miles away.

I covered over 42K miles in 2.5 years in the Leon, will be sad to see it go, even if it did breakdown and leave me stranded at the side of the M8.

IMG-4054rs.jpg

IMG-4059rs.jpg

First impressions after a few miles in the Golf? It's like a better built, more refined Leon - d'oh no surprise there. It feels a wee bit quicker too and the Golf suspension is firmer.

Only slightly negative thing I can think about the Golf will be trying to keep the diamond cut wheels in good shape.

Reactions: bgb

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Looks nice, what Leon engine/ trim did you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

azBones

Jul 16, 2019
West Yorkshire
I agree with Betts! I've pretty much done the opposite, got rid of my GTD on Thursday and collect my Leon Cupra on 3rd September. GTD was fun at first but got stale pretty quick.

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
I had a MK7 Golf GTD when they came out on 63 reg. Yes a nice car and you can see where SEAT cost cut compared to the VW on interior trim but to me that doesn't really make the car much better, clearly if you're impressed by superficial details then VW or Audi A3 would impress. For actual driving experience there is nothing in it. The Cupra I went to after the GTD is better on every level, except it doesn't have flocked glove box and door pockets!!!

Deleted member 103408

Sorry to see you go, hope you enjoy the golf forums :)

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
Only slightly negative thing I can think about the Golf will be trying to keep the diamond cut wheels in good shape.

You forgot the negative that it’s a golf...

Only joking, at least it’s not a Vauxhall

Different strokes for different blokes, enjoy the golf mate GTD is a decent little car, great on MPG! Did you get the dsg?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
Doing the flip and going GTD to a CUPRA I’m blown away by the CUPRA’s engine and LSD but have noticed the little things such as felt lining.

But to be honest, maybe because I’ve got a LUX my current vehicle feels far more luxurious than the golf. And a better place to be.

There is noticeable sound deadening missing in the wheel arches, but maybe as my GTD was a 14’ plate and my CUPRA is a 19’, the MK7.5 May be more in line with the current SEAT range in terms of cost cutting? I’ve heard new Golf R owners complaining the same? The differences may not be as noticeable if they were a similar age such as digital dash etc.

Im sure you’ll love the GTD, I did. Only reason I changed was coming up to 5 years and lease deals on the CUPRA were silly to miss!

HighFlyingBird

2016 Leon FR 1.4 150 in Chilli Red 2019 - 2020
Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
The alloys are stunning, don't really see many of them in 3 door round me, hope you enjoy it

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
Just noticed your red brake callipers, does it have the Sport & Sound pack? How does the exhaust sound with it? Was always something I missed, even if fake haha!

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
Just noticed your red brake callipers, does it have the Sport & Sound pack? How does the exhaust sound with it? Was always something I missed, even if fake haha!

going by the red calipers and the 'widget' in the exhaust, yes it has the sound and sport option.

The dealer although, plead ignorance when I asked about the red calipers.

I had to do a bit of googling to find out how it worked. It did put a smile on my face when out having a hoon in sport mode. It is a bit more boomy than the Leon even in normal mode but hopefully it wont be a nuisance.

Reactions: bgb

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
Different strokes for different blokes, enjoy the golf mate GTD is a decent little car, great on MPG! Did you get the dsg?

no it's the 6 speed manual.

Only one i saw had the DSG, but also had the leather option too so they were asking a bit over my budget. And it was black. Like I said 3 out of my last 4 cars have been black. I really wanted to avoid another black car.

Reactions: Leon20vt4

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I passed that ski area the other month, serious rain lead to no inclination to investigate it any more I'm afraid, sometime in the future hopefuly I will be back. I'm trying to get my daughter to find some black winter alloys to save her Cupra diamond finished wheels the wrath of salty Scottish winters.

caz95

Jan 6, 2019
Can't understand why you've gone from the 184 fr to a gtd lol equivalent of moving house across the road I've drove them both there's nothing in it except the badge

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I've bought a Golf as well! But as well as the Leon, we're keeping both.

Yeah, slightly better build but more similar than different. Ride is firmer than the (SE) leon but here's the thing. I think Seat have done a better job of sorting the suspension.

The Leon is more comfortable over rough roads but isn't significantly worse at speed. I would have expected the trade of for the Golf's firmness to be better composure as speed but it doesn't really happen. Maybe it corners slightly flatter but there isn't much in it and overall I'd say the Leon is the better balanced of the two.

Not unhappy with the Golf but Should've bought another Leon I think.

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
I was out for a B road drive in the Golf this morning.

Very pleased. It's very similar the Leon (no **** sherlock) just a bit better. The front end bite and turn in is sharper.
The damping is better controlled. The Golf feels more planted.