Bye bye Leon, Hello Golf

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Personally I'd expect that the Golf has slightly better interior quality. My Exeo I had a few months ago had slightly better interior quality than my 17 plate Leon. More soft touch plastics, nicer material around the door cards and roof lining and I believe it had less road noise. Well better sound proofing more likely. This is what I would expect of the Golf vs Leon. Saying all that the Leon's interior is still very good and seems well put together. Much much better than the MK2 Leon.

Your Exeo would be way above the SEAT norm build/trim wise as it was a discarded Audi model - maybe B6 platform. I bought a VW Passat B5 new back in 2000, it was a very well built car, and I thought initially that that was due to it being a VW, I think that I was wrong, most of its good qualities were due to it being basically a mix of slightly older Audi B5 A4 with some S6 bits thrown it, but it was a good car. When I compare that car with my wife's bought new 2002 Polo, I could see that that Polo was a bad car for one reason, it was just a Skoda Fabia with some better trim and some extras, a complete dog of a car and a wallet raider from about 4.5 years onwards.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
All the best with the new Golf, I'd say my MK7 PP GTI had better build than my Cupra but not by much and did suffer from rattles etc.

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
This thread is kinda hilarious... (I’m only adding to the shenanigans) all the talk between VW , Seat, Skoda, Audi differences...

Take off the body panels of all of these manufacturers cars and you have nearly the same damn cars that I guarantee 98% of people couldn’t tell them apart. From an engineering standpoint, they are all brothers and sisters made up from the same DNA. It’s laughable when someone says I drive an Audi S3 look at me, but they have no clue it’s a Seat/VW/Skoda underneath they only see those 4 rings on the front grill and a hole in their wallet! It’s all the same **** different badge.

I’m a best bang for my buck kinda guy, that’s why I got an Audi S3 with a Seat Badge when the S3 costs 4x the price to buy (used) and also to repair but the Seat has all the same performance... I don’t give a rats ass for the 4 rings, just hoe big of a smile the car can put on my face

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
My local Seat Dealer summed it all up for me.

He got an oil filter from the store and the box is covered in Audi, VW, Skoda and Seat logos. This spare is held by all marques.

He then proceeded to tell me that it fit various cars from each group but the prices were totally different depending on which marque you bought it from.

eg if you owned an Audi it was a lot more expensive from them than from the Seat Dealer. However the one bought from Seat would fit the Audi.

It’s the usual Marque price up with Status Badge thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bgb and Leon20vt4

bgb

Jan 22, 2019

He got an oil filter from the store and the box is covered in Audi, VW, Skoda and Seat logos. This spare is held by all marques.

He then proceeded to tell me that it fit various cars from each group but the prices were totally different depending on which marque you bought it from.

eg if you owned an Audi it was a lot more expensive from them than from the Seat Dealer. However the one bought from Seat would fit the Audi.

Used to be the same with servicing, with my GTD I took it to a Skoda garage once for a service, almost half price...

Does make you laugh when you look around the engine bay and see the stamps/identifications with VW, AUDI, SKODA, SEAT written all over them

Norbert

Oct 16, 2018
Seat uk called me yesterday and nicely advised my car rattle because not an audi.same advice from master mechanic from seat.
Just the problem same turbo fitted in audi too.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
Love it lol , everyone knows all the parts are the same but it's how they are screwed together that counts, I'd say Seat and VW are very close having owned both a good few times but my A3 and A6 Ultra where definitely better put together no question but my Cupra gives the biggest grin factor , plus it all comes into play when you sell them and then you see which holds it's money better , nice little pot stir to keep it going

Reactions: Leon20vt4

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Love it lol , everyone knows all the parts are the same but it's how they are screwed together that counts, I'd say Seat and VW are very close having owned both a good few times but my A3 and A6 Ultra where definitely better put together no question but my Cupra gives the biggest grin factor , plus it all comes into play when you sell them and then you see which holds it's money better , nice little pot stir to keep it going

OK, I’ll give the pot a little stir.............

Interesting point regarding how the different VAG brands are screwed together. However, it’s worth noting that the Seat Martorell factory in Spain also builds (or has built) certain Audi models. The Audi Q3 used to be built at Martorell alongside many of the Seat car models, and the new Audi A1 is now built in the same Seat factory by the Seat workforce. In a cross-brand Seat / Audi production facility, I’d have thought the same build and assembly standards would be applied by the robots and workforce to both brands, irrespective of whether it’s an Audi or Seat that’s being built / screwed together.

https://www.automotivelogistics.med...ns-from-making-audi-a1-in-spain/21681.article

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
OK, I’ll give the pot a little stir.............

Interesting point regarding how the different VAG brands are screwed together. However, it’s worth noting that the Seat Martorell factory in Spain also builds (or has built) certain Audi models. The Audi Q3 used to be built at Martorell alongside many of the Seat car models, and the new Audi A1 is now built in the same Seat factory by the Seat workforce. In a cross-brand Seat / Audi production facility, I’d have thought the same build and assembly standards would be applied by the robots and workforce to both brands, irrespective of whether it’s an Audi or Seat that’s being built / screwed together.

https://www.automotivelogistics.med...ns-from-making-audi-a1-in-spain/21681.article

I do like a well stirred pot and good point but for some reason it's definetly better and more refined , my Cupra is great but it might just be to many plastics vibrating together when you go down a bumpy road , whether it's a door card , dash rattle , vents , still love it though.

mdaw1985

Aug 3, 2008
St.Leonards, East Sussex
They are screwed together the same I'm sure lol. Just some different materials used in the interior for the most part as far as I'm concerned. But the bit about how they hold value is interesting. Maybe from new you will lose more money with Audi or VW but second hand buying I think you lose less from 2 years old. I thought quite hard about this before buying but wasn't willing to stump up the extra for an A3 or A4 and the model of Golf I wanted was even more. So I went with Seat again as I have for all my driving days being 16 years and 5 vehicles. 3 Ibizas 1 exeo and now a Leon.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
I hate to think what UK roads are like, ours are crap, but the Cupra is as tight as a drum.
I see the Ateca Cupra is built in Germany now.
I think it might come down to how many Rioja's Jose has had with lunch, or whether Max is after his second good conduct badge for the month.
They're all like Rolls compared to the way UK and Aussie cars were assembled here in the 70's.

Deleted member 103408

If you look at the MQB Family you will find differences across the various VAG companies.

Silly stuff like Brake Ducts and Aluminium Front sub frame BUT and its a BIG BUT the fundamental car (underneath) is the same

The only major difference is the 4WD vs FWD setup on the top of the range Cars (not estates as they are now called).

And one can argue very strongly (dependent on where you live) that FWD is better than 4WD ----- THAT WAS A DIFFERENT POT STIR

However they are all good cars if they meet what you want from them so @Big Col enjoy the new motor.

Personally I prefer the Cupra to any of the others but that's my choice.
I also love the original 280 vs Golf R Track race video that autocar did it sums it up for me

The cupra is a "PROPER DARK HORSE and its 5k less that the GOLF R" at Cadwell park it was better than the Golf R and they were very surprised by that.

Reactions: bgb and LouG

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland

That is complete BS the unit price is the same wherever you buy it, you have just been fed crap!

Yern

Apr 25, 2019

…...or a Bentley! :scary:

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
That is complete BS the unit price is the same wherever you buy it, you have just been fed crap!

It’s called Markup. Unit cost to make may be the same but price to customer is very different depending on who sells it.

You may think it’s BS and that’s your opinion but I disagree and I’m sure others will agree with me.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise