Door mirrors with reverse tilt

Aug 30, 2019
Hi all
2 weeks into used 2014 Leon FR 1.8 Tsi and am getting frustrated with the manual saying how to set the door mirrors (left one) to dip when in reverse. Follows the steps and just doesn’t seem to do what it’s meant to. Is it an optional extra or am I doing something wrong. Says put DSG into reverse and set the mirror to reverse position and it should remember it. Is the manual in left hand drive mode? Does it mean the drivers mirror and not the passenger. Please help as the on board Car settings have tick boxes for mirror synchro ( which also doesn’t work) and reversing dip setting

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
1-Put car into reverse.
2-Turn mirror button so it’s pointing to l/h mirror.
3-Adjust l/h mirror to where you want it to be when dipped.
4-Put car into Drive and set off but leave mirror switch pointing at l/h mirror.
5-If set correctly when you drive off the mirror will revert to normal position.

For dip on l/h mirror to work each time you put car into reverse (r/h mirror will not dip in the car for rhd vehicle) you must leave the mirror button set to l/h mirror. If you move away from this position dip will not work when you select reverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 30, 2019
1-Put car into reverse.
2-Turn mirror button so it’s pointing to l/h mirror.
3-Adjust l/h mirror to where you want it to be when dipped.
4-Put car into Drive and set off but leave mirror switch pointing at l/h mirror.
5-If set correctly when you drive off the mirror will revert to normal position.

For dip on l/h mirror to work each time you put car into reverse (r/h mirror will not dip in the car for rhd vehicle) you must leave the mirror button set to l/h mirror. If you move away from this position dip will not work when you select reverse.

So you have to actually put in drive and drive off for this to initiate?

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
So you have to actually put in drive and drive off for this to initiate?

When you drive off the mirror should return to normal from where you set it at when you want it in reverse.

When you stop and put it into reverse again, the mirror should then dip again to where you set it.

The mirror button must remain pointing to the l/h mirror for this to work.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Do you know if it's the same for the Golf? My Golf has this feature but I can't get it to work. Seems now I know why!

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
Do you know if it's the same for the Golf? My Golf has this feature but I can't get it to work. Seems now I know why!

I believe it should be the same.

In the Manual supplied with the car it states that the mirror button should be set to the r/h mirror but that is only for lhd cars.

In the UK as we drive rhd cars the mirror button has to be set to the l/h mirror as this dipping is designed for the near side mirror only.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Yeah, but I haven't read that part of the manual at all. If I had I would probably have figured out the left, right thing.

JonnyG

Mar 18, 2019

Yes, it's the same in the Golf (Mk 7/7.5 anyway)

Another tip for when washing your Golf is how to put the windscreen wipers in "Service Mode", so you can pull them away from the windscreen :- Turn the ignition on, turn it off again and then press the wiper stalk down within around 5 seconds. The wipers will go up and stay up, enabling you to lift them off the windscreen without the risk of chipping your bonnet edge.

Does this work with the Leon Mk 3 (not got mine yet !)

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Yes, it's the same in the Golf

Yip, got it to work last night. Took a couple of goes.

Only worked if the key was turned to on but not when the car was started. Had to turn the key off after setting the mirror to the down position but before I put the car into first.

I'll have to remember and switch the function of when it gets frosty.

I've tried to 'park' the wipers like that on the Leon but not got it to work yet. Probably doing something wrong though.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Never switched the mirror dip function off regardless of the weather, are you concerned it would be frozen in very cold weather, never had a problem despite living on top of a hill and the car left on the drive here in "sunny" Scotland.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Never switched the mirror dip function off regardless of the weather, are you concerned it would be frozen in very cold weather..

We have a couple of Peugeot people carriers at work which have electric folding mirrors that fold in when the car is locked. During the winter the mirrors regularly stick in the folded position. Yeah, Peugeot, but. I don't know if it could break the motor or folding mechanism but the extra strain can't be good for it.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Better safe than sorry I suppose, I was thinking it was the glass you meant might stick in the cold rather than the mirror fold mechanism.

Deleted member 103408

Another tip for when washing your Golf is how to put the windscreen wipers in "Service Mode", so you can pull them away from the windscreen :- Turn the ignition on, turn it off again and then press the wiper stalk down within around 5 seconds. The wipers will go up and stay up, enabling you to lift them off the windscreen without the risk of chipping your bonnet edge.

Does this work with the Leon Mk 3 (not got mine yet !)

Just tried this on my old 280 and it works fine - thanks for the tip.
To be fair there was some code on the OBD11 Forum to enable this but it never did anything but i suspect that is just because its a code fix and your instructions.

Reactions: JonnyG

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I was thinking it was the glass you meant might stick in the cold rather than the mirror fold mechanism.

I don't know how likely the mechanism is to break but if you're moving the mirror manually and it's stuck, you'll stop trying to move it. Or at least you will if you are sensible. What happens if it's moving automatically?

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
I don't know how likely the mechanism is to break but if you're moving the mirror manually and it's stuck, you'll stop trying to move it. Or at least you will if you are sensible. What happens if it's moving automatically?
That's why I never got the setting changed to auto fold/unfold on locking, as in bad winters here (Scotland) might freeze them. I do it manually so I can choose not to fold when the worst weather comes.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
That's why I never got the setting changed to auto fold/unfold on locking...

I've never used auto-fold because I don't want to wear it out! All mechanisms have a finite life. They are going to wear out or break. I don't see the point in folding in your mirrors every time you stop the car unless you park on a busy street or car park. I'd rather just use the feature when it's needed.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
I've never used auto-fold because I don't want to wear it out! All mechanisms have a finite life. They are going to wear out or break. I don't see the point in folding in your mirrors every time you stop the car unless you park on a busy street or car park. I'd rather just use the feature when it's needed.
Like your way of thinking, are you Scottish by the way.