Carwow comparison - Cupra R estate vs Audi RS3

Oldbutswift

Mar 23, 2016
Nice comparison, and if you were offered either one for free you would no doubt have the Audi...

BUT in the real world the price gap will be massive when you add options to the Audi that the Seat has already got (e.g adaptive suspension,pan roof.etc)...could be getting on for nearly £20k when actual available discounts are included.

...and the Seat is more spacious and handles better,so a total win for the Cupra IMO.

Robinm

Oct 16, 2016
Nice comparison, and if you were offered either one for free you would no doubt have the Audi...

BUT in the real world the price gap will be massive when you add options to the Audi that the Seat has already got (e.g adaptive suspension,pan roof.etc)...could be getting on for nearly £20k when actual available discounts are included.

...and the Seat is more spacious and handles better,so a total win for the Cupra IMO.

I agree and whilst the Audi undoubtedly has better build quality the Cupra is the better drivers car. You can also now get a new one albeit on a 19 plate for around 33k!! Bit of a no brainier really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jordan Neill

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
I got a bit of a hammering on FB when this review was teased a few weeks ago.
I found it ridiculous that that Matt would compare the Cupra R ST to an RS3.

It should either be vs an S3 (similar price and engine) or be an S4 Estate (similar type of estate car).

The fact they had to put it against the RS3 is testimony to how good the Cupra R ST is.

Obviously Matt or Audi didn’t want the Seat to win.

Either way the Cupra acquitted itself very well.
Matt admitted it looked better, drove better, handled better, comfier, better specced and was more practical.
The Audi was obviously quicker due to having 400hp, 2.5ltr 5 cylinder engine and he said he prefer it for driving around town due to being quieter and better interior.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
I got a bit of a hammering on FB when this review was teased a few weeks ago.
I found it ridiculous that that Matt would compare the Cupra R ST to an RS3.

It should either be vs an S3 (similar price and engine) or be an S4 Estate (similar type of estate car).

The fact they had to put it against the RS3 is testimony to how good the Cupra R ST is.

Obviously Matt or Audi didn’t want the Seat to win.

Either way the Cupra acquitted itself very well.
Matt admitted it looked better, drove better, handled better, comfier, better specced and was more practical.
The Audi was obviously quicker due to having 400hp, 2.5ltr 5 cylinder engine and he said he prefer it for driving around town due to being quieter and better interior.

He actually said the Audi was more comfy and better day to day , I think the Cupra feels better in the corners but once you get to 60mph the Audi would just keep pulling away .

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Yeah he did say the Audi was more comfortable your right. Watching it again I think he’s referring generally better interior quality, less road noise, and being more disconnected from the road when he’s assessing them in terms of comfort and ‘day to day’ driving
He clearly did say the Seats were better in the Seat, which is where I got mixed up.

Still a ridiculous review on cars from 2 different price & performance segments.

Jordan Neill

Nov 25, 2018
Yeah agree with it being an unfair comparison in terms of price, but it is still a contender and I think did really well in terms of a drivers car. Audi will always smash Seat on interior etc but that why you pay the extra cash

Reactions: '& Son' managed

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I watched this review earlier and also thought the Cupra R ST is probably more comparable to an S4 Avant.

If I had to choose between those two, it would be the Cupra R, but only because of the extra practicality of an estate. However, having owned a 5 cylinder Focus ST, I know how those 5 pot engines sound, and it would sway it for me if practicality wasn't an issue.

A few weeks ago I drove a friends Audi S4 Avant Black Edition (3.0 V6 version) literally back to back with my 184 FR. Now I know I don't have a Cupra, but I've been in many and the cabin layout and most components are the same. The S4 was just superior in every way, and blisteringly quick. That's where my money would go if I wanted a quick estate.

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
To be honest and I’m not just being biased. I would choose the Cupra over the Audi if offered either. I really don’t rate the looks of the Audi. So boring and just looks like a standard A3 in my eyes.... (from the front at least)

Nathan penney

Jul 8, 2017
Liverpool
To be honest and I’m not just being biased. I would choose the Cupra over the Audi if offered either. I really don’t rate the looks of the Audi. So boring and just looks like a standard A3 in my eyes.... (from the front at least)

I’d rather ride a bike than have any Audi!!! Lol

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
having driver that car a few times now the thing that lets it down the most for me is the noise.. its virtually not existent outside!

Cupra R interior was a huge step up over my old Cupra 280

In this review the exhaust sounded like mine did when the car was new. There was no sound to it at all, especially when cold.

1800 miles later and there is definitely more noise and character to the exhaust.
It really started to open up around the 1000 mile mark, especially after it was driven hard around this mark, definitely helped it.

I wonder if Matt had a very low mileage car for his review ??

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
Some negative parameters regarding Audi RS3 2018 compared to Cupra R.

Weight 1650 kg, odd tires and rim dimensions 255/30/19 ” front, 235/35/19” rear which makes it impossible to shift wheels rear/front for even wear.
The DSG DQ500 together with the 5 cylinder 400 hp engine is responsible for part of the heavy weight. The front weight is compensated by having the battery in the rear, (longer cables adds weigh…).

Positive - The RS3 sport exhaust is amazing! Best sound!

/Peter

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
In this review the exhaust sounded like mine did when the car was new. There was no sound to it at all, especially when cold.

1800 miles later and there is definitely more noise and character to the exhaust.
It really started to open up around the 1000 mile mark, especially after it was driven hard around this mark, definitely helped it.

I wonder if Matt had a very low mileage car for his review ??

Matt is in the same car I have had several times, it had done 3300 when I handed it back the other week.

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Matt is in the same car I have had several times, it had done 3300 when I handed it back the other week.

That puts an end to that theory then. I’m sure an RS3 would sound much better than the Cupra R ST anyway, but I’m glad mine doesn’t sound like the car Matt has got... at least in the flesh anyway.
Maybe mine will sound just as crap in a video also ? I need to test this.

I’ll stick a video up, hopefully 2mrw when I get chance.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Did you see how when launching the RS3, Matt wasn't thrown into the seat, but in the Cupra R he was..it's also insane how the Cupra R (ABT) could get to 60 in 4.4 secs....some might have seen the other video where the Ateca Cupra (ABT) managed to outdrag a Golf R.

Wonder if Seat will go for the 'Ring' record with the Cupra ST R ABT....also insane how the old Cupra ST FWD was faster than the older Audi 4wd RS4

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise