Leon cupra cone filter questions

Mannyg60

Nov 21, 2016
Hi everyone, I finally found a connector silicone reducer for my s2000 filter to fit onto my LC.

Before I had it fitted, I had a green panel filter on the standard air box minus the snorkel at the front and it sounded nice.

Then I tried the ramair filter and what a difference, sounded ace and felt a bit quicker, however I was concerned about the filtration of a foam filter so put the s2000 filter on.

This made it slightly quieter and seemed to be a bit slower on pickup than the ramair.

Am I right in saying that the ram air filters would be bad for the turbo in the long run, I'm guessing the s2000 will be the same filtration as the standard paper filter, I'm running a heat shield too.

I guess the ideal option would be a green cone filter as I've heard they're better than the K and N cone filters but not as restrictive as the paper cone..

Thoughts on this very welcome as well as your own experience and advice.

Thank you

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
Hi everyone, I finally found a connector silicone reducer for my s2000 filter to fit onto my LC.

Before I had it fitted, I had a green panel filter on the standard air box minus the snorkel at the front and it sounded nice.

Then I tried the ramair filter and what a difference, sounded ace and felt a bit quicker, however I was concerned about the filtration of a foam filter so put the s2000 filter on.

This made it slightly quieter and seemed to be a bit slower on pickup than the ramair.

Am I right in saying that the ram air filters would be bad for the turbo in the long run, I'm guessing the s2000 will be the same filtration as the standard paper filter, I'm running a heat shield too.

I guess the ideal option would be a green cone filter as I've heard they're better than the K and N cone filters but not as restrictive as the paper cone..

Thoughts on this very welcome as well as your own experience and advice.

Thank you

Paper filtration will always be better than k&n fabric and oil type filters.

Paper filters will never flow as much as a fabric type filter.

The s2000 filter is a happy medium between more intake noise than stock paper filter and at the same time better filtration from k&n. I’ve switched from paper now to fabric because I don’t plan on keeping this turbo and motor in the car for that long. As long as you keep your filter clean and engine bay clean and filter properly oiled it won’t cause harm to your car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mannyg60

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
This direct from K&N's website
We are aware of the "urban myth" created by a few dealerships that a vehicle's MAF sensor can be contaminated by K&N filter oil. No evidence has ever been provided to support this "myth" and years of diagnostic testing by K&N has shown that not only is this allegation not real, it is not even possible. In our opinion, it is an excuse for a dealership and/or the vehicle manufacturer to avoid a legitimate warranty repair. In the last 4 years, we have sold over 10,000,000 lifetime air filters and received only a few hundred calls from consumers who are having dealership or service provider challenges.

And from Mishimoto
There are benefits to both types of air filters. If you are looking for performance, but are not interested in being bothered with maintenance, a high performance dry filter might be right for you. If you want slightly more airflow and are prepared to properly maintain it, an oiled filter (OK, here comes the plug) like one of our Mishimoto performance air filters would be a great choice. All of our filters come pre-oiled with the right amount of oil for that filter’s surface area, are fully cleanable/reusable, are made right here in the USA, and of course, have the Mishimoto Lifetime Warranty.

The difference in real-world performance between a dry and oiled filter can sometimes be very small, but what it comes down to is the type of driver you are, and the type of environment you are driving in. When you’re trying to shave the 1/100 of a second off your lap time, every ounce of power helps.

Mannyg60

Nov 21, 2016
But what of foam filters like the ram air. Is it true they can break up over time and bits can get into the engine, I wouldn't mind having to change it every 6 months if it filtered properly and didn't fall apart before 6 months.

Mannyg60

Nov 21, 2016
No idea about that , I have had a Ramair unit on various cars and bikes and never had an issue (as long as its properly maintained. Currently LCR has a dual cone filter from Badger 5 , just blow it out with compressed air every 3 months.
https://badger5.co.uk/induction/bmc-80mm-twincone-red-filter

BMC sell a cleaning kit for these (No idea what it contains though - some detergeant and lubrication kit
Is that red filter paper?

Deleted member 103408

Different motor (mk3) I know but i have had Racingline and Revo oiled foam cones and never had any issues with either of them.

Mannyg60

Nov 21, 2016
One of these?
f3042d501c0039ebbba724f02b164b1e.jpg

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
But what of foam filters like the ram air. Is it true they can break up over time and bits can get into the engine, I wouldn't mind having to change it every 6 months if it filtered properly and didn't fall apart before 6 months.

If it's a genuine filter, i think you will be fine. There are all kinds of fakes on ebay/amazon, (especially HKS apparently) they can fall to bits at anytime. Make sure whatever one you go for you get it from a trusted source.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Never cheap out on a filter. I did...went with one of them funcky blue ones....four months later I took it off....banged it in the side of the bin and half of it fell off. Could have gone into the turbo, pipework =expensive.

And to the k&n Billy.
K&n would say it's bs wouldn't they.
What they will also say is it must be done right....
done right at home? Yeah right k&n, good way to pass liability to the fitter....hands washed nicely.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mannyg60

Nov 21, 2016
When you say funky blue ones do you mean a cheap one or a jetex cone (JR)?

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I own/drive an S2000, the general opinion in the OC is that the oe Honda filter is no worse at flowing air than the after market, the advantage is the K£N etc need cleaned at a long interval maintains airflow into a higher mileage, but, cost more, so stick with oe paper, change when required.
The oiled units are a pain when it comes to cleaning, re oiling after the cleaning is such a process of adding a little time after time till there is just enough on it, so easy to over oil without great patience. I know.:runaway:

g60stu

Feb 9, 2003
Reading
I'm quite tempted to get an S2000 filter having seen how cheap they are. Who sells heat shields (without filter) then? I see the Badger5 one for £54. Are there any others out there worth considering?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.