Bye bye Leon, Hello Golf

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
In the Skoda forums, at some point, they said Skoda was now building all the engines - not sure if that is true for the higher powered ones also, but after the whole chain tensioner failure fiasco, the later generation of 1.2 and 1.4 TSi engines were all Skoda made for all the brands in the group.

Skoda controlled factories did build the early 1.2TSI 8V and later 1.2TSI 16V engines, but if you dig deep enough, I'd expect that you would find that the EA888 family are all built by VW factories possibly in Germany, all that info is available online, ie which production plant carries out which tasks.

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
I think everyone is getting a bit silly here to be honest. Basically speaking, the underpinnings of VAG cars are the same aside a few parts. And that’s all anyone actually knows by fact unless you work in a VAG factory or a VAG HQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
I don't think you understand quality control and manufacturing.
The same manufacturer, part, factory, assembly line and machine have variations when mass producing.
The same machine, during the day, might start in the morning with a part that only deviates 0.05% from the manufacturer specs and by the end of the day, after it gets warm, after material passes through it, after it moves, the same part from the same machine will have lower quality - meaning that the shape might be slightly off - one again, note that we are talking extremely minimum differences.
At the end of the assembly line there should be a quality control guy that will check the batches and measure to make sure that the machine doesn't need adjusting and will also mark the parts as per the quality rating.
If something is completely off, of course it is rejected and doesn't leave the factory.
But if the deviation from the norm is minimal, it might still be "good enough" for a certain brand (Seat/Skoda) but not for Audi or VW.
I cannot believe this concept is so hard to understand, but this is the last time I try to explain it... Honestly, these are very minimal variations and might only make a difference after many years of usage of a car.
Either way, we have come to mostly agree on everything related to the OP on this thread, so... I give up trying to explain this quality control variation concept ;)
It is my field of work and I sometimes assume everyone knows what I am talking about :)
I don't think you understand outsourcing of parts. No third party manufacturer is going to effectively blueprint parts for one model over another. They also don't measure every unit produced, they take random samples from each batch produced. If one is faulty, they examine the whole batch.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
I don't think you understand outsourcing of parts. No third party manufacturer is going to effectively blueprint parts for one model over another. They also don't measure every unit produced, they take random samples from each batch produced. If one is faulty, they examine the whole batch.

I am not going to explain it again.so... whatever the point is you are trying to make, I agree with you, you are right, etc. :)

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Just a useful/useless fact to try to close the interest in this thread down, the fancy metallic"exclusive" dash trim parts fitted to my 2000 VW Passat were labelled as made in UK - shock horror!/?

Edit:- sorry I should have written to try to force this thread back to its topic title

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Just a useful/useless fact to try to close the interest in this thread down, the fancy metallic"exclusive" dash trim parts fitted to my 2000 VW Passat were labelled as made in UK - shock horror!/?

Edit:- sorry I should have written to try to force this thread back to its topic title

If you want to take it back to the topic title it’s:

Amazing congratulations looks very nice enjoy the Golf and the Golf Forums!

End of topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Indeed, I've just had to show my daughter how to clean the black wheels on her Cupra, and guess what, it has "VW made in Germany" brake discs, now either these are top/only quality, or the "seconds 30% off" labels have fallen off.

Black wheels are quite difficult to get spotless when compared with silver/grey ones!

Back to topic!

Reactions: LR231998

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Indeed, I've just had to show my daughter how to clean the black wheels on her Cupra, and guess what, it has "VW made in Germany" brake discs, now either these are top/only quality, or the "seconds 30% off" labels have fallen off.

Black wheels are quite difficult to get spotless when compared with silver/grey ones!

Back to topic!
Previous owner seriously fu@ked up my cupra alloys. Don’t know what they’ve used; I guess the polish guys with their bucket full of acid. But on a positive they have no kerb damage and I have got them looking good :)

Back to topic of... ah I give up

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK

Back to topic!

In my Ibiza FR SC, I was once looking at my rear disc calipers...noticed some 0s...wondering what is that? Turns out it was Audi logo, and by chance, I parked next to an A1 Black Edition, had exactly the same rear calipers. Or cupra owners, where if you get a knife to lift the Seat round badge, tada, it's a VW badge underneath! So going to a Golf, everything in the engine bay would be just like a Leon, with Audi and VW labels everywhere :)

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Stick with it, some new Polo, Ibiza and Fabias now use Mando front callipers - and I can't think of any good reason to be happy with that! Tends to be Audi VW markings that are on the rear Lucas>TRW callipers.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.