Downgrading my alloys to 15".

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
I'm sure it feels rather more an upgrade than 'downgrade' :rolleyes:

In general I prefer the taller sidewall option on tyres - improves the ride and often makes
the warning of breakaway at the grip limit more progressive/user friendly for a road car.

Also like the added flexibility - if the mood takes, you always have the option of adding
more air pressure to make the car handle a bit sharper by reducing the sidewall squidge.

A major reason a typical Golf's ride comfort/refinement is lauded in roadtests is because
VW choose to fit deeper-sidewalled tyres as standard compared to most rivals on the
most popular/biggest-selling cooking versions.

Although ok by modern standards, father's 17"- rimmed Leon 'Dynamic' with 'sport' stylee
tred Dunlops would almost certainly become a less-fidgety, nicer-riding car on 15/16" rims
shod with a decent set of Uniroyals or similar.

Should I take the plunge on a late Leon ST, I would much prefer to go for a boggo 'SE' trim
version with the16" rims - would save the cost/aggro of a swap-out...

Reactions: Boroboy

Boroboy

Apr 28, 2019
I'm sure it feels rather more an upgrade than 'downgrade' :rolleyes:

In general I prefer the taller sidewall option on tyres - improves the ride and often makes
the warning of breakaway at the grip limit more progressive/user friendly for a road car.

Also like the added flexibility - if the mood takes, you always have the option of adding
more air pressure to make the car handle a bit sharper by reducing the sidewall squidge.

A major reason a typical Golf's ride comfort/refinement is lauded in roadtests is because
VW choose to fit deeper-sidewalled tyres as standard compared to most rivals on the
most popular/biggest-selling cooking versions.

Although ok by modern standards, father's 17"- rimmed Leon 'Dynamic' with 'sport' stylee
tred Dunlops would almost certainly become a less-fidgety, nicer-riding car on 15/16" rims
shod with a decent set of Uniroyals or similar.

Should I take the plunge on a late Leon ST, I would much prefer to go for a boggo 'SE' trim
version with the16" rims - would save the cost/aggro of a swap-out...
A lot of manufacturers now seem to be going for the bigger alloy look, obviously looks better, but you do have a firmer ride. For the 1.2t engine these tyres seem to run well with the SE spec trim. I bought my car for practically, rather than performance.
The A005 tyres have more of a summer feel to them, but can be used in winter. It was basically between them or Mich Cross Climate plus tyres. Another bonus going for a larger tyre wall, the tyres are cheap too.
I've used Turanzas in the past, been very happy with their longevity over the summer months, so thought I'd try an all season tyre.
It's my first Seat, neither have I ever owed a VW. Been with mainly vaux for around 30 years.
I may keep my standard 16's, put them back on when I come to part ex my car in the future.
Pic of my car with the wheels.
I'd also like to add that I'm extremely impressed with the Bridestone A005s I've fitted, especially under wet conditions. They have an "A", wet grip rating. The highest rated all season tyre for wet use tyre out there at the moment. It's as good in the wet as any summer premium tyre I've had, under summer driving conditions. It's really a summer tyre, designed for light snow/winter driving. I'd recommend it to anyone whom wants to run with one set all year round.
IMG_20190614_180533510.jpg

Last edited:

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
Looks fine to me.
You've not been tempted to put the cherry on the cake by fitting your original SEAT
logo hub caps/wheel centres to the new alloys then?

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
A lot of manufacturers now seem to be going for the bigger alloy look, obviously looks better, but you do have a firmer ride. For the 1.2t engine these tyres seem to run well with the SE spec trim. I bought my car for practically, rather than performance.
The A005 tyres have more of a summer feel to them, but can be used in winter. It was basically between them or Mich Cross Climate plus tyres. Another bonus going for a larger tyre wall, the tyres are cheap too.
I've used Turanzas in the past, been very happy with their longevity over the summer months, so thought I'd try an all season tyre.
It's my first Seat, neither have I ever owed a VW. Been with mainly vaux for around 30 years.
I may keep my standard 16's, put them back on when I come to part ex my car in the future.
Pic of my car with the wheels.
I'd also like to add that I'm extremely impressed with the Bridestone A005s I've fitted, especially under wet conditions. They have an "A", wet grip rating. The highest rated all season tyre for wet use tyre out there at the moment. It's as good in the wet as any summer premium tyre I've had, under summer driving conditions. It's really a summer tyre, designed for light snow/winter driving. I'd recommend it to anyone whom wants to run with one set all year round.
View attachment 7793
to be fair I thought this was going to look horrendous on 15's but I quite like it especially with the alloys being black :thumbup:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.