High mileage, 1.4 ACT

JackReacher

Jun 20, 2013
We've had our 2014 Leon since new, just coming up to 5 years old and it's done 90k mostly trouble free miles. We took out the 5 year warranty when new and had a couple of suspension struts replaced under that, and a new radiator.

We are debating whether to sell and move on, or keep it. It will be doing a much lower annual mileage than it has previously, probably no more than 5k a year.

A few questions

Are there any common issues I should get checked before the warranty expires?
Is it correct that the cambelt and water pump is due replacement at 5 years? If so, how much will that cost?
Has anyone taken one of these engines over 100k miles, if so any issues?

Thanks

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
We've had our 2014 Leon since new, just coming up to 5 years old and it's done 90k mostly trouble free miles. We took out the 5 year warranty when new and had a couple of suspension struts replaced under that, and a new radiator.

We are debating whether to sell and move on, or keep it. It will be doing a much lower annual mileage than it has previously, probably no more than 5k a year.

A few questions

Are there any common issues I should get checked before the warranty expires?
Is it correct that the cambelt and water pump is due replacement at 5 years? If so, how much will that cost?
Has anyone taken one of these engines over 100k miles, if so any issues?

Thanks

I have the 2014 1.2 TSI with 96,000 miles. Still drives smooth and quiet. I am having the first cambelt change on Monday. I was quoted £358. It's only a cambelt as I was told the water pump isn't disturbed.

Everything else is still original, besides tyres, brake pads and wipers.

JackReacher

Jun 20, 2013
Thanks both, yes the cambelt will certainly be changed if we keep it. It's been a great car, just worried it might start to cost money. I did find an estate for sale on autorrader with 210k miles, that's good going!

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
If you have owned the car from brand new, then personally I would keep it. You know exactly how it has been driven, how it has been maintained and anything to do with the history of the car. Unless you replace with another new car, I don't think you can get much more peace of mind.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members