Android Auto feedback thread

gshaw

Jun 14, 2014
Essex
Just following on from the Full Link queries that have popped up on here I was wondering if it would be OK to have a thread tracking people's experiences with it. I'm an Android user but could have a similar one for CarPlay (although from what I've seen it looks to be more reliable)

Useful info to try and track down any issues might be something along the lines of (filled in with my details)

Car: Leon SC FR MY16
Phone: HTC One M8
Android version: 5.0.1
HU Software version: (need to find out how to get this)

Does AA load first time when connecting USB:
Sometimes, if not overridden by MirrorLink
Does AA reconnect if phone unplugged and replugged: No, "Android Auto Disconnected" error
Does Google Play Music work consistently: No (freezes AA after 3-4 songs)

Those are my main gripes above but would be interested to see what works and doesn't for others as it drives me mad when it fails. So much potential there but also so unreliable right now :shrug:

Last edited:

plain

Mar 10, 2015
Sounds like a good idea and we can also share any tips or tricks we've found.

Car: Leon SC FR MY16
Phone: Nexus 5X
Android version: 6.0.1 (Marshmallow)
HU Software version: Unsure

Does AA load first time when connecting USB: Yes
Does AA reconnect if phone unplugged and replugged: Yes
Does Google Play Music work consistently: Yes

So far it seems to be working great. I had a couple of issue at the start with it not connecting to the car or disconnecting shortly afterwards. I did a bit of research online and in VW's with the MIB2 system (so the same basic system) it turns out you may need to have your seat belt on with the car in park to get it to work. I now get in the car, put my seat belt on and start the engine. Wait for the sat nav to boot, plug the phone in and it seems to be working fine since then. The other day I knocked the cable out whilst changing gear but plugged it back in and it connected fine.

I would suggest that some of your issues are coming from Mirrorlink and Android auto both trying to load up. (luckily I don't have Mirrorlink on my phone)

Only other little niggle/bug I've come across is the compass and arrow direction on google maps. The car has a built in compass which android auto should have access to but google maps arrow seems to jump around when your stationary and you first turn the car on whilst the built in compass is accurate.

A feature I'd like to is to get the directions prompts in the dash display like the built in sat nav (eg turn and distance). I don't know if it's a feature built into Android Auto but Honda have got it working in one of their cars. i know it's never going to happen as it would mean Seat/VW having to implement it and if they do I doubt it would be an update to current car's but I can dream!

Something else I'd like to solve (which isn't down to the car) but is google maps related is mini roundabout. Google maps seems to insist on making the little arrow going round the mini roundabout instead of straight over which can sometimes mean the arrow is behind where the car is temporarily. It really shows when navigating and as you approached the roundabout it will say "At the roundabout taken the second exit" and then once you're on the roundabout it'll then say "Take the exit now". Brilliant on a big roundabout but by the time you've finished saying all that on mini roundabouts I'm 1/2 a mile down the road!

Last edited:

richardtank

Sep 19, 2009
Car: Leon FR MY16
Phone: LG G4
Android version: 6.0.1 (Marshmallow)
HU Software version: Unsure

Does AA load first time when connecting USB: Not always
Does AA reconnect if phone unplugged and replugged: Most of the time
Does Google Play Music work consistently: I use Spotify. I have had some audio issues where the music would be using the voice/info 'channel'. I would need to open PocketCast and start to play a podcast then go back to spotify to get music working correctly.

I believe that a lot of my android auto issues are due to LG's implementation of Android. The biggest problem with Android being such an open platform is that different people have messed about. Obviously the Nexus devices are 'pure' android and should work a lot better.

nimdy

Jun 10, 2015
I'll update my post when I get the head unit software versions etc, but I've put my initial feedback points below...

When AA works it works really well. I've had the Leon for three months now and put 9,000 miles on the clock. I like to connect AA up for my daily commute so Google Maps can keep me updated on my ETA and traffic ahead. With that in mind my morning and evening routine is to get in the car, connect the car to the car via a 5cm USB cable (so no trailing cables) and sit the phone in the little compartment, then plug in home or work into the Google maps app (if it doesn't already come up on the home screen). I'll sometimes listen to music too, either with Google music or amazon prime music.

My biggest issue with the system is connectivity. When it connects it's great, but this seems to be a third of the time. Other times it will either say connection error or won't 'see' the phone connected. The fix seems to be either restarting the phone or closing and reopening the AA app. There also doesn't seem to be any pattern to when the system doesn't connect. It's interesting so read that the car needs to be out of gear with the handbrake on so work. This doesn't seem to make a difference in my car.

The only other little gripe is that sometimes the music apps will crash and take all of AA with it. This usually then leaves me unable to reconnect and no means of restarting the phone during my 30 mile commute.

gshaw

Jun 14, 2014
Essex
That's it in a nutshell for me too ^^^

Wouldn't connect yesterday for love nor money then I tried doing factory reset on just Full Link, voilà back in the game :)

I've been searching for a way to kill MirrorLink on my phone but it seems to be hard coded in (not happy about that) so seems the conflict between that and Android Auto is going to continue.

Out of interest do you have music stored on your SD card?

nimdy

Jun 10, 2015
That's it in a nutshell for me too ^^^

Wouldn't connect yesterday for love nor money then I tried doing factory reset on just Full Link, voilà back in the game :)

I've been searching for a way to kill MirrorLink on my phone but it seems to be hard coded in (not happy about that) so seems the conflict between that and Android Auto is going to continue.

Out of interest do you have music stored on your SD card?

In my case I have a Google / LG Nexus 5 which doesn't have mirrorlink built in, so when AA refuses to connect the car attempts a mirrorlink connection which also fails. Might have to try the full link reset option. Got nothing to lose really, I don't think I any settings are stored other than audio levels perhaps.

I have some music stored on my phone, but most of it is streamed either from Googles servers or from Amazon's prime service. I mostly listen to Radio X or Absolute on DAB though, so don't listen to streaming music all that often.

Oh by the way the xda forums (techies and software developers) have a forum thread about the same issues that seem to be affecting all VW models with AA. Thread link below:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/and...eral/android-auto-connectivity-issue-t3249338

Last edited:

gshaw

Jun 14, 2014
Essex
Might have to try the full link reset option. Got nothing to lose really, I don't think I any settings are stored other than audio levels perhaps.

When you go into the Factory Settings menu option scroll down and it gives the option to reset each component individually, that way your audio settings etc. are preserved and only Full Link gets reset :)

Likewise go into Settings > Applications > Android Auto on your phone and first try Clear Cache, if still no joy then try Clear Data and you'll likely be able to connect.

Interesting thread, was in that forum earlier but didn't spot that particular one. I do wonder if the HU needs an update, can only hope a fix is out by the time I have my first service due.

gshaw

Jun 14, 2014
Essex
OK after almost being driven to insanity by this system today I think I may have made some progress into figuring out what the hell is going on with the Android Auto connection process.

Firstly, there's a lot going on to make the thing connect up in a mish-mash of USB, Bluetooth and apps and if one goes out of line the whole thing falls over.

My initial failure scenario was of the HU defaulting to MirrorLink and never even attempting to connect to AA. I ended up resetting Bluetooth, Full Link and Android Auto settings to try and start clean but then noticed a few things along the way.

Resetting Full Link

Firstly, the reset process in case anyone doesn't know it already using the car's menu.
Note: you don't have to reset the entire car to do this, individual reset is a nice feature :)

Setup > System Settings > Factory Settings > Full Link
Setup > System Settings > Factory Settings > Bluetooth

Bluetooth

Next I paired my phone again, nice and simple but wait for all the resulting prompts to add Smart Lock device and so on.
Interestingly the HU was detected as two different devices here, one as SEAT BT 8435 (which worked) and again as a hardware ID (letters separated by colons).

Only the SEAT BT device completed the Smart Lock screen succesfully, not sure if that's related to AA in any way.

Full Link

You don't need your phone connected at this point but get Full Link ready for the connection attempt by specifying Android Auto as the preferred connection method.

This setting doesn't seem to make a lot of difference after the first connection as the HU seems to lock to whatever connected successfully last time, your experience may vary!

Go into Menu > Full Link > Setup

Change Preferred Connection Type from MirrorLink to Android Auto

Android Auto app

This is where it gets interesting.

Previously I believed I'd cleared everything using the Android method of Clear Data \ Clear Cache in Settings > Apps, this isn't the case

Clear Data will make you go through this basic first-run wizard for the app itself, nice and easy just swipe through and get to the end.

Once done go to Settings (3 dots on top right) then look for Connected Cars.

Despite thinking you've cleared the app's data you may find your HU listed multiple times.
This I think is where the problem can lie as the link between phone and HU gets confused with multiple entries for the same thing and ends up with MirrorLink instead.

Connect phone to car

Once you delete all previously known cars connect the USB to the HU then go to:

Menu > Full Link > Devices > *your phone's name*

This should then fire up the Android Auto first connection process, this is the bit that gets reset when you delete all previously added vehicles from the app:

This Google Play Music nag screen really irritates me, don't put ads in a setup wizard Google [:@]
It also seems to be the one that activates the link between Google Play services and the HU

At the end of this you should have a stable connection. I've tested since by:

• unplugging \ replugging phone
  • rebooting phone
  • rebooting HU
  • clearing cache
  • force closing AA

So far I've had successful reconnects pretty much the entire time. Did manage to break it once by a mixture of Clear Cache and Force Close, at which point I re-did the AA clear known cars steps and that was enough to bring it back.

Google Play Music

Don't use this for now would be my advice. I tried playing songs and again it froze up completely, crashing AA and causing connection failures next time round.

I noticed Bluetooth dropped out at the same time so my theory is that Play Music uses Bluetooth Audio into AA and has a bug somewhere that causes the audio component to crash out.

Once it goes AA can't reconnect successfully as the audio section gets stuck from the previous crash. Rebooting phone and HU helps here.

Last edited:

plain

Mar 10, 2015
Has anybody found out how to tell what HU software your running. I feel without this we won't be able to track if bugs are solved/fixed with software updates

gshaw

Jun 14, 2014
Essex
Has anybody found out how to tell what HU software your running. I feel without this we won't be able to track if bugs are solved/fixed with software updates

Tried the menu as per above and got this back:

Device part number: 5QA035858
Hardware: H24
Software: 0241
Navigation database: 6P09198660430
ECE 2015/16

There's an update menu option in the top left corner, I'm guessing firmware update over USB?

alijay036

Oct 15, 2011
Hertfordshire
Sorry I realise this is a Leon thread, but I have a new Ibiza with the infotainment system, but I am having issues with AA, however reading the thread I am starting to question something and that is, do you have to have Full link enabled? I was under the impression that this was not the case, but I would be grateful if someone could clarify this for me.

nimdy

Jun 10, 2015
Sorry I realise this is a Leon thread, but I have a new Ibiza with the infotainment system, but I am having issues with AA, however reading the thread I am starting to question something and that is, do you have to have Full link enabled? I was under the impression that this was not the case, but I would be grateful if someone could clarify this for me.

Yes Full Link has to be activated in order to be able to use Android Auto and Apple Car Play.

plain

Mar 10, 2015
Has anyone got the latest google maps update (V9.19) running on Android Auto.

For the phone it appears to put in a driving mode for when you have not destination inputted (so similar to how Android Auto runs) but it will make an educate guess where you're going and give you an ETA/traffic problems. This seems perfect to me as I don't need navigation on as I know where i'm going to work but it would be good to get an update if theres any issues and if another route is quicker. Unfortunately it doesn't state if it does this on Android Auto and I haven't got the update yet.

Full details here

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
I've had no end of hassles with AA, I'm using a Huawei P30 Pro with Android 9. What I've found so far is,
The Cupra system is cable sensitive. I'm using UGreen USB C cables from Aliexpress with good results. Clearing the app cache in your phone helps connection issues too. Make sure you have the latest Android and AA updates.
Don't connect the cable until the head unit has booted up. I also disconnect when turning the car off, I've had connection failures when stopping for gas etc without doing that.
On our trip north last week AA disconnected without warning and wouldn't reconnect, a new cable fixed that. Carry a spare.
The new AA UI is really great. Far more user friendly.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise