FR Black Edition. But which colour??

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
I have managed to pick up some genuine seat black mirror caps for £30, hoping i can get a grill for around the £100 mark and then its alloy re-spray. I haven’t kerbed a wheel so just a change of colour.

Hoping to do it all for <£500
Should look great. I think the black surround of the grill and the black mirrors give it a more aggressive look.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Seen one of these in the flesh at the weekend, im not entirely sure on the matt effect black bits? think they would look better in gloss black personally, kinda reminds me of plastidip finish

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Seen one of these in the flesh at the weekend, im not entirely sure on the matt effect black bits? think they would look better in gloss black personally, kinda reminds me of plastidip finish
Same here. I saw one when I visited my local dealer about a warranty issue yesterday. The matt black doesn't look quite right. Gloss black would have been better.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Mine isn't out the factory as a black edition but I made it black edition myself. I think the dark red is nice but personally if I could respray it I would go white.

fXT5uaI.jpg

That's Montsant Red though, I know, as I used to have it on my Mk3 Pre-FL Leon...but back to darkish Red with black trim/wheels would always look more 'sporty' / classy than white and black (I'm sorry guys), plus it stays cleaner a tad longer....I used to have an Ibiza SC, in my avatoar, with Alor Blue with Black rims, mirrors, trim, with Bi-Xenons, that also looked awesome (I'm biased though)...anyway, wasn't Desire red the 'flagship' colour they advertised the Arona, and facelift Leon in, and not the white? Just saying...

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Alor blue :bleh:

Oops you can’t

Get desire red.

Don’t get black unless you’re prepared to machine polish it every month. Black looks awful when not meticulously cared for.

Alor blue was the 'best' colour in the paint avaliable for Leons..and Ibizas...i agree that black rims need taking care off, and if u scuff it...wipe it clean, and apply your other half's black gloss nail polish on it....or...you can put Red or Black Alloygators on it...mmm..sorry getting carried away, should really get back to work...

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
I also saw one yesterday whilst in the dealer for a small warranty job and thought the interior looked really dark with a black headlining.

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
My favourites are blue, black and white.....funny as I have a red MK2.

Just so happened that in my budget within the used market I could get a red or black Leon so it became about finding one on decent condition.

I don't know how long you plan on keeping the MK3 but my MK2 is coming up to 13 years old so I can comment on what it's like dealing with 13 year old red paint.

Getting the paint to match...near impossible...I have different shades of red on my car and it drives me mad. Swirls...faded paint etc.... Yeah this is a common problem on red cars...let's just say I spend a lot of time on paint correction and maintaining waxing. When its clean and shiny...looks awesome but once left for a bit...becomes very flat looking.

On one hand it's rewarding maintaining red paint, standing back after its been waxed is satisfying. On the other, it's never ending lol.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.