No snap, crackle and pops anymore?!

Loadmaster748

Roll on summer.....
Aug 2, 2019
Surrey, UK
I was watching a few UK based Youtube reviews yesterday on the 290 Cupra. It seems that any new example bought now is free of pops and crackles, due to WLTP tech changes.

Not that I really care that much, but does that take some of the soul away from the car?

DazFahy

Jan 29, 2019
I was watching a few UK based Youtube reviews yesterday on the 290 Cupra. It seems that any new example bought now is free of pops and crackles, due to WLTP tech changes.

Not that I really care that much, but does that take some of the soul away from the car?
I've got the copra 290, had it since March this year, got 6000 miles on it. I can tell you it definitely pops and crackles when the oil is around 100 degrees, so much so a few people where I work have commented on it. However dsg farts seem very rare.

Reactions: Loadmaster748

Loadmaster748

Roll on summer.....
Aug 2, 2019
Surrey, UK
Thanks Daz. I think, from what dealers tell me, that new build examples now are completely pop and crackle free. Doesn't bother me that much, but if there's no DSG 'fart' either that's made it a relatively quiet car now, again according to dealers and YouTube owner's videos.

Musgrave91

Jan 24, 2019
My 2019 does make some pops and bangs, get it hot and take it to a multi story car park! GPF filter kills a lot of the fun but there is mods you can do the exhaust to help that issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick89

May 10, 2019
My 290 has just trickled over 2k and she's only just starting to get a voice. Still finding it far too tinny - particularly at startup - but once the oil is nice and hot, I get some pretty clear pops and the occasional fart in Cupra mode. Definitely a bit wet though and the soundaktor blocks out any chance of hearing them anyway. Best thing to do is drop the back seats, stick it in manual and hold the revs.

There's a Golf R over the road from my office and even at startup it sounds better than my Cupra.

Loadmaster748

Roll on summer.....
Aug 2, 2019
Surrey, UK
My 290 has just trickled over 2k and she's only just starting to get a voice. Still finding it far too tinny - particularly at startup - but once the oil is nice and hot, I get some pretty clear pops and the occasional fart in Cupra mode. Definitely a bit wet though and the soundaktor blocks out any chance of hearing them anyway. Best thing to do is drop the back seats, stick it in manual and hold the revs.

There's a Golf R over the road from my office and even at startup it sounds better than my Cupra.
Thanks Rick - I did fail to mention that the test car I drove had on 5 miles on it!

So, bear in mind 5 miles only. Started from cold by the salesman, me as the passenger. Drove out of the dealership and within 30 seconds, less probably, was thrashing the nuts off it - I wasn't impressed!

Rick89

May 10, 2019
Got to admit mate, when I first went to see the 290 at the dealership and sat in the cockpit, I said the guy "how's it sound, pretty decent judging by the look of those pipes?"...the salesman literally ignored me and moved onto a different topic all together. When I started it up and gave it some revs, I knew why he'd done that. I cant even describe the disappointment I felt! It was next to silent.

However, once I'd blasted the backside off it on my test drive, the lack of sound was buried at the back of my mind. Such an exciting car to drive that any increased sound would only be a bonus.

Loadmaster748

Roll on summer.....
Aug 2, 2019
Surrey, UK
Got to admit mate, when I first went to see the 290 at the dealership and sat in the cockpit, I said the guy "how's it sound, pretty decent judging by the look of those pipes?"...the salesman literally ignored me and moved onto a different topic all together. When I started it up and gave it some revs, I knew why he'd done that. I cant even describe the disappointment I felt! It was next to silent.

However, once I'd blasted the backside off it on my test drive, the lack of sound was buried at the back of my mind. Such an exciting car to drive that any increased sound would only be a bonus.
I should clarify - I was VERY impressed by its performance, I was completely UNIMPRESSED when a cold engine, with 5 miles on it, was ragged within 30 seconds of being started!

Maybe because I'm old skool I'd never do that to any engine without it getting up to temperature for at least 15 mins or so.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
280 is still the best :)
Think you may just be right for Stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I suspect its more likely the pre facelift 290 or facelift 300 over the 280 ;) , as the 280 had an extra silencer. 5 door anyway. The ST is just quiet in al trims apart from Carbon (not heard the R ST though). Have to say the Carbon with res delete is addictive being an ASBO in Cupra mode.

Last edited:

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I should clarify - I was VERY impressed by its performance, I was completely UNIMPRESSED when a cold engine, with 5 miles on it, was ragged within 30 seconds of being started!

Maybe because I'm old skool I'd never do that to any engine without it getting up to temperature for at least 15 mins or so.
Yeah i'd never do that myself, however I suspect my ex demo 280 had been subject to that life for 10,000 miles, and yet felt quicker than my Carbon which hadn't. It had only done 2,400 miles. It could all be hot air, however going off of the salesman, the business manager should of had it, but as they fitted a tracker to it and he couldn't 'drive' it they gave it someone else who apparently drives like miss daisy.

Always been of the school of thought that you should let the engine warm up first, but don't worry about running the engine in for 1,000 miles.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I know not everyone isn't into modifying cars, and this post is in the Mk4 thread so gone completely off topic haha, however the 5 door cars can still at least have a res delete. Not as noisy as a pre GPF car with res delete, but then you definitely don't get any drone either. A lot of people have said its how the car should of come from at factory. Plus its reversible too. So if you're disappointed with the sound you have a solution. Doesn't help the 300 ST owners though as they have no res to delete.

Back on topic though, there is definite scope for cars with a GPF to still sound great. I've not heard it myself, but reviews, people on this forum and the FB groups have said the Hyundai i30 N-Performance sounds very fruity.

So there is hope yet.

Just wonder what the Db level of these new noise cameras is going to be set to...

Deleted member 103408

I was reading an article the other day that went a little further on the running in, The argument was its more important to do an oil change at 1000 just to get rid of rubbish that new engine has that actually manage the revs etc.

And the temp control (both cold and hot) is now becoming a very common fixture on the mapped cars.

Reactions: Damo H

Deleted member 103408

I suspect its more likely the pre facelift 290 or facelift 300 over the 280 ;) , as the 280 had an extra silencer. 5 door anyway. The ST is just quiet in al trims apart from Carbon (not heard the R ST though). Have to say the Carbon with res delete is addictive being an ASBO in Cupra mode.

My old 280 with a stage 1 map (nothing else done) gave a very nice sound / fart

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I was reading an article the other day that went a little further on the running in, The argument was its more important to do an oil change at 1000 just to get rid of rubbish that new engine has that actually manage the revs etc.

And the temp control (both cold and hot) is now becoming a very common fixture on the mapped cars.
Yeah, its what I did on the MINI. Earlier cars used to come with a 1,000 mile service interval, especially the perofrmance cars. Not sure if thats still a thing for cars like ///M or //AMG. But maybe Porsche still do it?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.