Potential new owner

Sep 14, 2019
Hi today I`ve made a deal on a cupra that's up for sale in Kirkcaldy just wondering if anyone knows the car and if there's anything I should look out for before the purchase.

When out test driving it today I couldn't get it into 6th gear however the car feels like it has a quick shifter and im guessing it hasn't been set up correctly. The guy in the garage said this will be sorted before I take the car away.

The car has had 4 owners in 5 years which is kinda concerning however the car could have been pre registered.

https://www.elite-automotive.co.uk/used-seat-leon-fife-scotland-2364223

cheers
sean

Sep 14, 2019
It didn't seem heavily modified well not to what I've done in the past. Just starting to have doubts about it with it having 4 owners and trying to select the gears but again I do think the short shifter has been set up badly as the gears were far to close together when doing through the box.

The car had seatcupra.net stickers on it so it's been an owner on here at some point. Well I'm sure it was those stickers I'd need to go have a look at the car again to confirm.

I'm trading in my car to free up cash so I'm just concerned in case I'm making a big mistake. Possibly buying something that may have a few issues although this could be the case for any car I go see.

Reactions: MXP2090

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
It didn't seem heavily modified well not to what I've done in the past. Just starting to have doubts about it with it having 4 owners and trying to select the gears but again I do think the short shifter has been set up badly as the gears were far to close together when doing through the box.

The car had seatcupra.net stickers on it so it's been an owner on here at some point. Well I'm sure it was those stickers I'd need to go have a look at the car again to confirm.

I'm trading in my car to free up cash so I'm just concerned in case I'm making a big mistake. Possibly buying something that may have a few issues although this could be the case for any car I go see.
Jog on .... 4 owners in 5 years,,,, :cry::cry::cry:

Reactions: Yern and Walone

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019

I'm having issues getting my car seen under warranty with just 700 miles on the clock and 4 years 10 months warranty remaining. Good luck sorting any issues on a modded car that's had 4 owners in 5 years. I'd run away and find something else.

JonnyG

Mar 18, 2019
I wouldn't rush into buying it ! ... wait to see if you get a reply on here first and then request a further extended test drive at the very minimum. Never take the promise/word of a salesman either :banghead2

Deleted member 103408

With regards to warranty, this is all going to be dealer warranty not Seat as the car is 2014 so make sure what it covers (as the car is not stock).

I agree with others would worry its had so many owners in a short time but based on a quick check of the advert the car seems to have stock engine and gearbox and good kit for the modifications.

if you are interested I would get the garage to fix the short shifter issue first as you should not buy till you tested the fix
Also check with insurance as its modified.

Sep 14, 2019
Been messaging about and been advised to stay away by a friend from work. He sent me a pic of the car from the previous owner and told me the guy had nothing but issues. Think I'll buy myself another type r again or something else that cheap to run about in.

I've bought a house and got married and thought I would keep my focus rs but I just can't justify paying out on a loan at the moment.

Sep 14, 2019
As for the amount of owners it could have been pre registered when new and also the boy in the garage was going to fix the issues and giving me a good price for my car so this was making the decision very tempting

Sep 15, 2019
Some of those mods are expensive, so have to ask why someone would pay to do all that and then (presumably due to amount of owners in such a little time) decide to move the car on quite quickly to a garage rather than privately, considering private sales get more money for modded cars.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
This thread also raises the issue of all the lease CUPRA cars that will eventually flood the market. A lot of them have had mods done and been run hard (excessive use of launch control etc). I’ve read across various forums of people doing this with comments such as “it’s a lease car so im not worried about treating it hard as it’s going back in x amount of months”.

This gives no thought to future owners who may encounter all sorts of issues with running the cars and warranty.

A bit selfish in my opinion.

Back to thread: I think you’re best to stay away from it. There are other cars out there that will have better history and less owners. What price range you looking at and what distance you willing to travel for a good car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted member 103408

Would not touch that with my grandmothers 12ft bargepole.

Buy a nice unmolested unragged version

The problem as @Maypack has so well expressed is its not always obvious if a car is an unmolested or unragged version.

This member was looking at a brand new car https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/no-snap-crackle-and-pops-anymore.454653/#post-4880245 and that was ragged by the salesman.

I certainly know from my local independent VAG garage there are a number of ex lease cars that have had millage clocked so they don't have to pay excess. and you only have to read through the threads on here to see the number of people who fit tuning box's (and even maps) on there cars and remove them when selling so its not an easy thing to be able to spot.

Reactions: Maypack
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.