Aftermarket Wheel Options

Loadmaster748

Roll on summer.....
Aug 2, 2019
Surrey, UK
What different wheel options are members here running on their Mk3s, or any other Mk but will be suitable for the Mk3?

I'm thinking CSL style, like the ones fitted to the ST currently, in black. Prefer to stay with current rim size to use standard tyres.

All pics or advice appreciated.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Personal opinion that aftermarket wheels are generally naff unless you pick some expensive ones, speedline / O.Z / BBS

for me i would much rather upgrade to a nicer set of OEM wheels. Maybe a nice set of cupra 18’s / 19’s. Original wheels always look better IMO

Reactions: MXP2090

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I’d always avoid diamond cut alloys if I was looking for a different / new set.

BBS and Oz are good brands and they make very good quality wheels, and many of their designs have an OEM look, but I would also consider other makes - e.g. Ronal and Borbet make quite a few of VAG factory fit wheels (many VW alloys are manufactured by Ronal and Borbet; BBS have made wheels for VW in the past - don’t know if any of the current VW wheels are made by BBS though).

For me, the most important things would be;
  • Not diamond cut.
  • New rather than used, as you don’t know the history of use wheels - they may have been damaged and badly repaired / repaired many times.
  • They are TUV, ABE, JWL (or equivalent) certified.
  • They’re not cheap Chinese imports of dubious quality.
Probably worthwhile checking with your insurer too before investing in new wheels, as some insurers aren’t mod-friendly.

Reactions: Walone

nuvolablue

May 1, 2017
What is your current rim size? I swapped out my 17s for Golf Madrid alloys. Heres some (not so great) pics. I think they really suited the car.
a016f8e15fe696b80a3d290a2649c12f.jpg
536537fc02257cfc9dc2854305cdbdef.jpg
d4fb14516df62456da0f3d240d2d1954.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Loadmaster748

Roll on summer.....
Aug 2, 2019
Surrey, UK
I’d always avoid diamond cut alloys if I was looking for a different / new set.

BBS and Oz are good brands and they make very good quality wheels, and many of their designs have an OEM look, but I would also consider other makes - e.g. Ronal and Borbet make quite a few of VAG factory fit wheels (many VW alloys are manufactured by Ronal and Borbet; BBS have made wheels for VW in the past - don’t know if any of the current VW wheels are made by BBS though).

For me, the most important things would be;
  • Not diamond cut.
  • New rather than used, as you don’t know the history of use wheels - they may have been damaged and badly repaired / repaired many times.
  • They are TUV, ABE, JWL (or equivalent) certified.
  • They’re not cheap Chinese imports of dubious quality.
Probably worthwhile checking with your insurer too before investing in new wheels, as some insurers aren’t mod-friendly.
Not diamond cut primarily due to the expense of repairing them?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Not diamond cut primarily due to the expense of repairing them?
That’s one of the reasons. Other reasons;
  • The diamond cut finish is quite fragile and not very durable for wheels on a daily driver exposed to all weather and road conditions.
  • Diamond cut alloys and winter road conditions (salt and grit) is a bad mix! Many alloy wheel retailers actually state on their websites that diamond cut wheels aren’t suitable for winter use.
  • A small stone chip to the lacquered surface that’s left unattended is enough to allow the ingress of water beneath the lacquer and the dreaded white worm corrosion will set in. Diamond cut alloys nearly always eventually succumb to white worm corrosion which can only really be removed by a full refurb; judging by my own experience and owners with diamond cut alloys on many VAG forums, white worm usually happens when the car’s wheels are between 2-3 years old.
  • In addition to the cost of refurbishing them, because the diamond cut refurb process involves removing a layer of metal from the face of the wheel, there’s a limit to the number of refurbs that can be done (usually no more than 2 or 3), otherwise the structural integrity of the wheel can be compromised.
  • They are easily damaged by inexperienced tyre fitters or poorly maintained tyre changing equipment.

Reactions: Loadmaster748

Loadmaster748

Roll on summer.....
Aug 2, 2019
Surrey, UK
That’s one of the reasons. Other reasons;
  • The diamond cut finish is quite fragile and not very durable for wheels on a daily driver exposed to all weather and road conditions.
  • Diamond cut alloys and winter road conditions (salt and grit) is a bad mix! Many alloy wheel retailers actually state on their websites that diamond cut wheels aren’t suitable for winter use.
  • A small stone chip to the lacquered surface that’s left unattended is enough to allow the ingress of water beneath the lacquer and the dreaded white worm corrosion will set in. Diamond cut alloys nearly always eventually succumb to white worm corrosion which can only really be removed by a full refurb; judging by my own experience and owners with diamond cut alloys on many VAG forums, white worm usually happens when the car’s wheels are between 2-3 years old.
  • In addition to the cost of refurbishing them, because the diamond cut refurb process involves removing a layer of metal from the face of the wheel, there’s a limit to the number of refurbs that can be done (usually no more than 2 or 3), otherwise the structural integrity of the wheel can be compromised.
  • They are easily damaged by inexperienced tyre fitters or poorly maintained tyre changing equipment.
This is why I want to replace with something else, that and looking a little 'different'.

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
I'm also looking for new 19" alloys to replace the standard Cupra 290 MY19 alloys. Would be interested in suggestions. I quite like the look of the Revo 19" in matt bronze.

Reactions: paul7619

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
How about some lightweight OZ Ultraleggera, or if on a budget, Autec Wizards?

Cuprobbie

May 4, 2016
Hamilton
I’d steer clear of diamond cut alloys.
I’ll never have them again in the future.
They look great for the first few months, but quickly begin to degrade.
The multispoke wheels on my Black Edition very quickly began to show corrosion, even though they had never been kerbed.
My neighbour has an RS3 with ‘normal’, non diamond cut wheels and I think they look great in comparison to my corroded diamond cut wheels.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I’d steer clear of diamond cut alloys.
I’ll never have them again in the future.
They look great for the first few months, but quickly begin to degrade.
The multispoke wheels on my Black Edition very quickly began to show corrosion, even though they had never been kerbed.
My neighbour has an RS3 with ‘normal’, non diamond cut wheels and I think they look great in comparison to my corroded diamond cut wheels.

Agree 100%. I wish car manufacturers would stop fitting diamond cut alloys, or at least offer a no-cost ‘normal’ option where the standard wheels are diamond cut to give owners a choice.

If I was considering buying a car and it had diamond cut alloys it wouldn’t stop me buying it - I’d just replace the wheels with a more durable painted / powder coated set of my choice. And that’s what I’ve done with my last two cars :).

Reactions: Loadmaster748

Deleted member 103408

The black ones are Maxton the White ones are Lenzdesign

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.