After some advice... 2014 1.4 FR

Soundlab

Sep 14, 2019
Hi guys. I've been lurking here recently as I am looking for a MK3 1.4 fR. My budget dictates that it'll be circa 2014.

I test drove one today and it's a lovely car however it was completely gutless. Coming from a series of turbo cars (including a previous mk5 Golf GTI) I had certain expectations. However when the opportunities came to drive more enthusiastically there was nothing from the engine. It literally had nothing about it.

I noticed both the engine management and EPC lights were on and queried it. He said it'll be serviced which should sort it. However on checking here when I got home I read about tubro actuator issues, etc.

So is this a common problem? Is this scenario generally the actuator / turbo replacement issue? I said I'd call them later to let them know however I'm not convinced I will be able to get them to change this base on why I say so thinking I might be best walking away...

Thoughts?

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
As said, look elsewhere. If they can't even be bothered to sort a fault while trying to sell it, you've no chance once they've got your cash. I have a 1.4, and even before I mapped it it definitely had some poke to it, and I've come from bigger turbo diesel engines so I'm used to pokey motors.

Soundlab

Sep 14, 2019
Both your thoughts are in line with mine. Shame as dealer seemed a really good bloke.

I'll keep looking.

HighFlyingBird

2016 Leon FR 1.4 150 in Chilli Red 2019 - 2020
Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
My 1.4 has quite a lot of poke for an unmodified 1.4 engine and power only seems to fizzle out at 5k-ish RPM, but the fact that faults were coming on the dash would be enough for me to stay as far away as possible.

Is the turbo actuator issue the one about it rattling during 2 cylinder mode? IIRC that can be solved by fitting a new clip to the actuator arm which is a pretty cheap and easy fix, but the rattle doesn't have any impact on the engine anyway.

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
My 1.4 has quite a lot of poke for an unmodified 1.4 engine and power only seems to fizzle out at 5k-ish RPM, but the fact that faults were coming on the dash would be enough for me to stay as far away as possible.

Is the turbo actuator issue the one about it rattling during 2 cylinder mode? IIRC that can be solved by fitting a new clip to the actuator arm which is a pretty cheap and easy fix, but the rattle doesn't have any impact on the engine anyway.

Also if it was this, it wouldn't be throwing lights up on the dash

Reactions: HighFlyingBird

Norbert

Oct 16, 2018

You cant fix all type turbo with clip...newer type dont have any clip.same fitted my girlfriend pre facelift and my facelift.
And the rattle come from the actuator inside rod rattle too so actuator replacement rather than a £2.5 clip.
I just checked mine all rattle on 22.000 miles now and started before 8.000 miles.
Vw supply complete turbo unit or possibly to find actuator itself.

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
Officially the 1.4 did 0-60 in a little over 8 seconds. It shouldn't be feeling gutless. I never felt that mine lacked performance, although you might be used to a bit more poke coming from a Golf GTi.

HighFlyingBird

2016 Leon FR 1.4 150 in Chilli Red 2019 - 2020
Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
Officially the 1.4 did 0-60 in a little over 8 seconds. It shouldn't be feeling gutless. I never felt that mine lacked performance.
Some people have said that their 1.4s have actually been quicker than the advertised 0-60 time too.

Imo 0-60 isn't really a good measure of real world performance, what you'd really want to take not of is the 30-60 or 30-70 as they're more like what you'd be doing in real world driving.

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
Some people have said that their 1.4s have actually been quicker than the advertised 0-60 time too.

Imo 0-60 isn't really a good measure of real world performance, what you'd really want to take not of is the 30-60 or 30-70 as they're more like what you'd be doing in real world driving.
I never had any problems overtaking either :roflmao:

Soundlab

Sep 14, 2019
So I have found another car online. 64 plate. Only problem is its 500 miles away and with A. Clark who appear to have a mixed reputation.

The video they sent looks good and it looks in great condition Nd a great spec. Just got to decide if its worth the risk for their click and collect. I can apparently test drove upon receipt before paying the balance. Although I presume I'd lose the cash paying for the transfer.

The original car I looked at they got back ti me and said they've found it to be a pedal sensor fault bringing the Epc light on....

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
what is there to lose, it doesn't fit the bill then they have wasted their time and money

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
My 1.8 Sport Coupe TSI is pretty rapid. Outpaces my brothers 2 litre BMW 1 series. Although he picks up his M140i on Thursday so today I placed an order for a Cupra. :runaway:

Reactions: Sword

Soundlab

Sep 14, 2019
Quick question (possibly daft/pointless), how can you tell whether a car came with the convenience pack or someone has added everything themselves ?

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Quick question (possibly daft/pointless), how can you tell whether a car came with the convenience pack or someone has added everything themselves ?

If it looks properly installed i.e factory fitted, you could check the sticker in the boot. It has codes relating to what the car came with. There are websites that can tell you what each code means, so you may be able to figure out what it should have come with from factory that way.

Reactions: Soundlab

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
The original car I looked at they got back ti me and said they've found it to be a pedal sensor fault bringing the Epc light on....
The sensor may have been the cause of the car feeling sluggish? Try another test drive?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.