Space Saver

Cheriton

Mar 3, 2019
Portsmouth
I know this has been covered before, but I'm still none the wiser. I'm looking to get a space saver spare wheel and my question is...Will a 16 inch one fit my car. I have 1.4 FR 150 tsi with 18" alloys on. I understand that a 16" wheel will not fit a Cupra because of the caliper clearance, but will a 16" wheel clear the caliper on my FR?
Some say it wiill be OK others say no, you need 17" or 18". Has someone on here got the answer please.
Thanks guys.

Degs

Feb 10, 2019
North Wales
What's worth remembering is space savers are not meant to be fitted on the front of cars so really
they only need to fit over the rear callipers, i bought an 18'' space saver for 18'' alloys on my last fr
to be on the safe side,it's in the back of my cupra now and definitely won't go on the front,but then again
it's not meant to.

Reactions: Cheriton

julian24110

Jul 16, 2009
Cornwall
I had exactly the same problem with the same wheels on the same car. I ended up buying a "2006 AUDI A3 8P TOOL KIT JACK SPACE SAVER WHEEL 1K0601027B 18 INCH" from eBay for £60. I can confirm it fitted the car just fine. The important bit here is the part number 1K0601027B, a search for this will show you all of the compatible wheels. There are other part numbers that will also work but this definitely worked and also transferred onto my current 1.8FR

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
I had exactly the same problem with the same wheels on the same car. I ended up buying a "2006 AUDI A3 8P TOOL KIT JACK SPACE SAVER WHEEL 1K0601027B 18 INCH" from eBay for £60. I can confirm it fitted the car just fine. The important bit here is the part number 1K0601027B, a search for this will show you all of the compatible wheels. There are other part numbers that will also work but this definitely worked and also transferred onto my current 1.8FR
Don't these wheels, or more specifically tyres, have a "use by" date?

robby71

Sep 3, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
Don't these wheels, or more specifically tyres, have a "use by" date?

All car tyres have a date stamped on them from the factory - it is usually in an oval and will be 4 digits showing the week it was made and year - 3418 would mean 34th week in 2018 as an example.
Tyre suppliers are only allowed to sell tyres up to 5 years old (1 year for motorbikes) and tyres should be replaced by 10 years old (even if not worn) as they perish

MiTz

Jul 23, 2018
I know this has been covered before, but I'm still none the wiser. I'm looking to get a space saver spare wheel and my question is...Will a 16 inch one fit my car. I have 1.4 FR 150 tsi with 18" alloys on. I understand that a 16" wheel will not fit a Cupra because of the caliper clearance, but will a 16" wheel clear the caliper on my FR?
Some say it wiill be OK others say no, you need 17" or 18". Has someone on here got the answer please.
Thanks guys.

I have the same model and wheels. I bought the full 18" space saver wheel kit, Inc foam insert, jack and wrench... It wasn't exactly cheap, but brand new and fits snugly in the boot. If I remember rightly, it was £179 online from Livingstone Seat in Glasgow.

robby71

Sep 3, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
I have the same model and wheels. I bought the full 18" space saver wheel kit, Inc foam insert, jack and wrench... It wasn't exactly cheap, but brand new and fits snugly in the boot. If I remember rightly, it was £179 online from Livingstone Seat in Glasgow.

I bought an 18" space saver and toolkit with foam from a breakers out of a MK7 Golf - paid around £120

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.