How do you drive your DSG

Jovin

Feb 18, 2007
Andover
Just interested in how people use their DSG boxes eg leave it in D and let it do it's thing, go manual and paddle or stick shift or D with a bit of intervention on the paddles?

Speaking of intervention with paddles when in D, does anyone change down with the paddles when slowing or do you just find there isnt that much engine braking anyhow and just use the brakes?

Reactions: MXP2090

Deleted member 103408

Personally I use.

Totally Manual using the paddles to change gears up and down - never used the gear stick but you could if you want.

Semi Auto 1 - Gearbox in D or S or E and then as required change down and up using the paddles

Semi Auto 2 - Gearbox in D and pull leaver down to S for both engine braking and getting car ready to pull of quickly round a corner.

Full Auto and using the Mode settings to change the gearbox settings

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
I leave mine in D and if I need the power I will use one of two methods:

Pull back on the gearstick to move Engine into Sport

Or

Accelerate and use the left paddle to change down and then use the power to overtake.

If you are slowing down and use the left paddle the engine loses power and changes down as it thinks you are slowing down.

If you accelerate and use the left paddle the engine keeps the revs high and changes down to allow you to overtake comfortably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
Mainly I use comfort mode and D
If it's nice and I've got some decent roads it's in Cupra, Sport and Manual mode (Flick into sport and then across to M)
Motorway it's in D and the car is in Eco mode.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Leave it in D unless..

a) need to pull out of a junction quickly, stick it in S for preparation then back into D once I'm cruising again.

b) want some fun I'll knock it first into sport to change the engine/gearbox into sport, then put it in manual and control the gears with the paddles. It takes back over to just knock it into sport and then use the paddles.

c) want some noise (to entertain my 4 year old honest) put it in Cupra, put it in manual and just cruise up to the speed limit and lift off. :D

nuvolablue

May 1, 2017
I mainly drive in S mode, but switch to D when approaching junctions or traffic to get the stop/start to kick in.

When cruising I may revert to D mode.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Deathjam

Aug 24, 2015
Leeds-ish
Leave it in D unless..

a) need to pull out of a junction quickly, stick it in S for preparation then back into D once I'm cruising again.

b) want some fun I'll knock it first into sport to change the engine/gearbox into sport, then put it in manual and control the gears with the paddles. It takes back over to just knock it into sport and then use the paddles.

c) want some noise (to entertain my 4 year old honest) put it in Cupra, put it in manual and just cruise up to the speed limit and lift off. :D

i drove past an unmarked skoda vrs that had pulled another car over, the policeman was outside talking to the other driver, i was in cupra mode( its was on a fun b-road that like like) i was driving passed fast only about 30mph, i lifted off as i drive past, the exhaust gave a nice overrun sound, i saw in the mirror the policeman looked up with a massive grin :D

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
i drove past an unmarked skoda vrs that had pulled another car over, the policeman was outside talking to the other driver, i was in cupra mode( its was on a fun b-road that like like) i was driving passed fast only about 30mph, i lifted off as i drive past, the exhaust gave a nice overrun sound, i saw in the mirror the policeman looked up with a massive grin :D
When I was in France there was a little village (Limeuil) I drove through most days. It has a restaurant on a terrace above the river on the opposite side of the road to the restaurant. A couple of the waiters waiting to cross the road used to grin as I went passed in Cupra mode. Don't think everyone appreciated it though. My wife said I was being anti social, but when I went to turn it off, she went 'I didn't say you should turn it off though'. LOL

Last edited:

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
When I was in France there was a little village (Limeuil) I drove through most days. It has a restaurant on a terrace above the river on the opposite side of the road to the restaurant. A couple of the waiters waiting to cross the road used to grin as I went passed in Cupra mode. Don't think everyone appreciated it though. My wife said I was being anti social, but when I went to turn it off, she went 'I didn't say you should turn it off though'. LOL

Petrolhead wife nice

Nearly forgot... petrolhead daughter too.

Reactions: Damo H

A9BNL

Mar 6, 2019
For my daily commute into Edinburgh keep it in comfort mode in D but pop the stick into S at certain junctions to get away quickly/safely, then back into D.
However when on my own i stick it into Cupra and use the paddles. Coming back last night from dropping my daughter off at Queen Margaret Uni, i had some amazing pops; more like a gun going off, thats the benefit also of having had the res delete done on my GPF fitted car.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Petrolhead wife nice

Nearly forgot... petrolhead daughter too.

She's already there, she calls it 'Blazing speed'...

maxresdefault.jpg

...she's a bad influence.

Reactions: Legojon

JonnyG

Mar 18, 2019
The good thing about DSG is all the various options you can choose depending on mood and road type.

So no fixed way for me, but usually :

City Centre commute - generally D mode
A & B Roads - Full Manual Mode using the paddles after flicking left from S mode with occasional use of S mode at give way junctions.
Motorways - Generally D mode

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
Always used to just drive it in D and use paddle to shift down if I wanted to overtake.
Lately though I have been using it in manual (non sport) and use the lever to change up and down, I find it more responsive via the gear lever than the paddles at slower speeds, you really need the revs up and keep them on for the paddles to shift quick. I don't use the paddles in manual mode much as I'd like to, as I find its hard on tight corners and pulling out of junctions to keep hands in right place on wheel, so just use the lever :)

Reactions: MXP2090

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
The popping and farting convinced my wife to buy the Cupra. She also just went for a 65" OLED TV over a 55".
She's a keeper.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
The popping and farting convinced my wife to buy the Cupra. She also just went for a 65" OLED TV over a 55".
She's a keeper.
Haha! That's top.

When we were buying this house, the previous owner had a man pad in the basement with pool table and projector. When all the stuff came through to say what was included in the house and what we could pay them more for, they wanted £1,500 for the pool table, projector, cinema screen and a load of furniture. I wasn't sure my wife would go for it so was getting ready to try persuade her, then she said to me, I'd of happily paid £1,500 for the cinema stuff by itself. Result!! 10 years later, a recent 4K upgrade and our cinema/game room is still going strong! :D

Defo a keeper :D

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
Haha! That's top.

When we were buying this house, the previous owner had a man pad in the basement with pool table and projector. When all the stuff came through to say what was included in the house and what we could pay them more for, they wanted £1,500 for the pool table, projector, cinema screen and a load of furniture. I wasn't sure my wife would go for it so was getting ready to try persuade her, then she said to me, I'd of happily paid £1,500 for the cinema stuff by itself. Result!! 10 years later, a recent 4K upgrade and our cinema/game room is still going strong! :D

Defo a keeper :D

Where’s the invite for lads night and pool session?

Reactions: Legojon

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Regular D mode for traffic and normal driving.

Paddles to:
over-ride only to engine brake (in country roads or down a hill in urban areas
over-take when I can see the coast is clear, (usually 2 taps) on single carriageway
in a tunnel, and imagine I can hear a 2.0TDI / 1.0TSI make lots of noise on the downshifts...(I'm sure you Cupra owners do this!)

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK

Hope the grin wasn't 'that's the person I will pulling over next for anti-social driving'

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.