Water pump change with cam belt?

Imperial

Jan 10, 2006
My 64 plate 1.4 FR is coming up to 5 years old so obviously time for a belt change. On previous cars I'd always changed the water pump at the same time as it was never much more to do both. The dealer has advised that this water pump isn't belt driven on this engine and they are more expensive than I expected. Is it worth doing or not?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Probably not, I don't know how/where the water pump is on that engine as some modern VW Group small TSI engines have their water pumps at the other end of the engine and driven by its own small belt, so belt or pump failure would not trash the engine in the way that a front, cambelt driven one would - and that was normally the issue or reason to change a water pump, also when a water pump is driven by a heavy loaded belt like the cambelt, it needs to be designed to with stand that extra loading on its shaft bearing, plus if that type of water pump failed for other reasons, ie the impellor broke/came off, then replacing it would cost a full cambelt replacement and the added cost of a water pump - which made replacing the water pump at cambelt change time, or every other cambelt change time cost effective.

Reactions: Imperial

Imperial

Jan 10, 2006
nice one, thanks. It agrees with what I've heard from somewhere else. Been quoted £350 for full cambelt change with genuine bits, so quite happy with that.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members