Panoramic roof rattling

ima

Apr 6, 2014
Hi all

The roof rattling is driving me mad. I’ve tried all different lubricants including the vw one and after a day the loud rattling returns. It seems to come from the part where the sun roof joins the larger bit of glass. Has anyone had this and solved it?

thebrief1979

Dec 1, 2017
Worcester
I have had the same problem on and off for the last 5 years.

It goes into the dealership twice a year and they basically tighten all the screws up - it comes back 6 months later.

I have ocd so you can imagine what the rattling does after 30 miles on A roads.

Whilst we talking panoramic roofs - get the 4 drain tubes dredged every few years - it’s not on any service schedule but it stops ur car - especially the spare wheel well turning into a pond

Sadly I don’t think I will ever get a vag car with a panoramic roof again.

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
I was just about to post a thread asking what people thought of the pan roof and I think this thread has just made me decide against it :think:

robby71

Sep 3, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
I had the sunroof on a MK7 golf and it would creak and rattle. Reading posts on the MK7 forums it was a common problem and the solution was to put some small pieces of velcro where the sunroof slides over the mechanism - took several attempts to find the correct spots
There are quite a few "fixes" for the rattles on the forum, SEATs roof will be the same as the Golfs - https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/search.php?searchid=11319666&pp=25

Reactions: ima

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I had the sunroof on a MK7 golf and it would creak and rattle. Reading posts on the MK7 forums it was a common problem and the solution was to put some small pieces of velcro where the sunroof slides over the mechanism - took several attempts to find the correct spots
There are quite a few "fixes" for the rattles on the forum, SEATs roof will be the same as the Golfs - https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/search.php?searchid=11319666&pp=25
Membership of the forum that @robby71 posted the link to is predominantly USA/Canadian mk7 / mk7.5 Golf GTI and R owners.

Apologies for going slightly off topic - In the USA there are 3 or 4 different levels of trim for the Golf GTI, two of which (SE and Autobahn) have a sunroof as standard, so quite a lot of ownership experience of cars with VAG panoramic sunroofs on golfmk7.con forum. The most common sunroof issues that owners post about on that forum are;
  • creaks and rattles from the sunroof
  • blocked sunroof drain pipes resulting in water entering the cabin and damp carpets
  • the sunshade sliding back and forth under acceleration and braking
  • a few instances of stress fractures in the glass panel between the front edge of the sunroof and upper edge of the windscreen - cracks running from the top corner of the ‘A’ pillars to the front corners of the tilting/sliding sunroof panel. Also, a few instances of delamination of the top layer of that glass panel.
Can’t remember which forum(s), but I’ve also read of a couple of instances of ‘exploding’ sunroofs in mk7 Golfs. The sunroof panel is made of toughened glass so in rare cases it can disintegrate like the old toughened windscreens fitted in pre-1980’s cars if struck by flying stones / road debris.

@The Daily Meme; There is a tendency to report problems on forums, rather than satisfied owners singing the praises of aspects of their cars, so a forum view of VAG sunroof issues might provide a slightly skewed view towards the negative. Having said that, I personally wouldn’t choose to have a sunroof.

The Daily Meme

Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Membership of the forum that @robby71 posted the link to is predominantly USA/Canadian mk7 / mk7.5 Golf GTI and R owners.

Apologies for going slightly off topic - In the USA there are 3 or 4 different levels of trim for the Golf GTI, two of which (SE and Autobahn) have a sunroof as standard, so quite a lot of ownership experience of cars with VAG panoramic sunroofs on golfmk7.con forum. The most common sunroof issues that owners post about on that forum are;
  • creaks and rattles from the sunroof
  • blocked sunroof drain pipes resulting in water entering the cabin and damp carpets
  • the sunshade sliding back and forth under acceleration and braking
  • a few instances of stress fractures in the glass panel between the front edge of the sunroof and upper edge of the windscreen - cracks running from the top corner of the ‘A’ pillars to the front corners of the tilting/sliding sunroof panel. Also, a few instances of delamination of the top layer of that glass panel.
Can’t remember which forum(s), but I’ve also read of a couple of instances of ‘exploding’ sunroofs in mk7 Golfs. The sunroof panel is made of toughened glass so in rare cases it can disintegrate like the old toughened windscreens fitted in pre-1980’s cars if struck by flying stones / road debris.

@The Daily Meme; There is a tendency to report problems on forums, rather than satisfied owners singing the praises of aspects of their cars, so a forum view of VAG sunroof issues might provide a slightly skewed view towards the negative. Having said that, I personally wouldn’t choose to have a sunroof.
Of course, I views the sun roof as a “nice to have” as the only paid for option on a Lux worth having. However, it wouldn’t be nice to have if any of these issues surfaced. Therefore I’ll just save the money. Unless of course whatever the ambient lighting upgrade does makes it worth it?

The Daily Meme

Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
I'm presuming the ambient lighting is the same as I have in my 69 plate FR?
8 colours to choose from of which 3 are the only ones worth using.
That’s what I thought, I have it on mine at the moment. Not sure why it’s an option included with the sun roof to be honest as I thoughtthe car came with it anyway because it is listed elsewhere on the spec sheet.

Reactions: MXP2090

ima

Apr 6, 2014
Thanks for the links. I’ll try the Velcro route. I’ve had cars with full glass roofs before with no problems and I’d definitely not get one with a sunroof again. Ive got another two years on PCP before I can change so looks like I’ll have to get used to the rattles

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Mine just creaks a bit, and it has a strange ratcheting sound when starting to open and nearly closed, but only when it's been in the sun for a while.
Some of you may need to google sun.

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Of course, I views the sun roof as a “nice to have” as the only paid for option on a Lux worth having. However, it wouldn’t be nice to have if any of these issues surfaced. Therefore I’ll just save the money. Unless of course whatever the ambient lighting upgrade does makes it worth it?
Ambient lighting comes as standard. No need to spec the Pano roof. Where did you read you need to have the Pano roof for the ambient lighting?

Edit: Checked the spec and it's now a standard item on all cars except SE.

Last edited:

thebrief1979

Dec 1, 2017
Worcester
To be honest I have no idea- I looked all over and I cannot find them - there are 4 in total - I took it into the main dealer 3 times before I got it totally sorted - at first SEAT main dealer could only find 2 then they found a third- i told them to look harder as it made sense there would be 4?

As far as I can tell they are rubber tubes that start at the sunroof and come out under the car by the wheel arches on all 4 corners.

The front 2 run down the A pillar I believe

The Daily Meme

Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Ambient lighting comes as standard. No need to spec the Pano roof. Where did you read you need to have the Pano roof for the ambient lighting?

Edit: Checked the spec and it's now a standard item on all cars except SE.

That’s what I thought but couldn’t work out why the pan roof option was listed as “pan roof + ambient lighting”