Oil stinks of petrol!

jonny87

Aug 2, 2019
Hi guys,

Was having a poke around my k1's engine bay today (first time since i took ownership 4/5 weeks ago)

Removed the oil filler cap and it absolutley reaks of fuel. The car doesnt smoke, white, grey or otherwise and goes well.

I knew the MPG would not be great on this car and I am OK with that BUT it is getting through its fuel like theres no tomorrow. Currently averaging very low 20MPG.

And no, before someone asks, I do not boot it everywhere.... just occassionally ;)

Ive had a quick search on here and google, first thing that comes up is injector seals, second thing is running rich. As my car is standard (unless I have a dodgey MAF/MAP sensor) i am thinking this is unlikely.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Oh also, I am going to change my side lights, once I get them out. Is that right to just yank them out, no clips?

Cheers

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Dodgy remap you're not aware of?
Definitely sounds like it's hammering through fuel, another good shout would be coolant temp sensor and/or thermostat.

Get VCDS on it and see what pops up.

jonny87

Aug 2, 2019
Dodgy remap you're not aware of?
Definitely sounds like it's hammering through fuel, another good shout would be coolant temp sensor and/or thermostat.

Get VCDS on it and see what pops up.

Hmmmm there is no paperwork or anything to say its been mapped and it feels like 230/240bhp as is standard. No induction, standard panel filter standard exhaust etc.

Yeah, one of my mates has vagcom so I go get it hooked up see what it says

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
Hmmmm there is no paperwork or anything to say its been mapped and it feels like 230/240bhp as is standard. No induction, standard panel filter standard exhaust etc.

Yeah, one of my mates has vagcom so I go get it hooked up see what it says
What engine do you have?

Oil smelling like petrol and over fuelling sounds like symptoms of damage having been caused to the cams from the cam follower not being changed in the past and resulting in the fuel pump being punched through the follower. All thou this would only apply to the tfsi engine.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

jonny87

Aug 2, 2019
What engine do you have?

Oil smelling like petrol and over fuelling sounds like symptoms of damage having been caused to the cams from the cam follower not being changed in the past and resulting in the fuel pump being punched through the follower. All thou this would only apply to the tfsi engine.

Crikey!!
Yes mine is the 2.0 TFSI, unsure which variant/code.

How can I prove, or disprove, this 100% though?

My car is still under the 3 months warranty given by the garage who sold it me so I shall be contacting them Monday to see what they want to do, trouble is they are not local to me.

Edit:
I just found the video on here....
https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....wer-remove-your-hpfp-2-0-tfsi-engines.454801/

So I can check the fuel pump follower but not the actual cams, I would have to remove the rocker for that.

It does say that this problem was fixed by Seat, at the factory in 2006? Mine is 2008 so would I be safe or not?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
Crikey!!
Yes mine is the 2.0 TFSI, unsure which variant/code.

How can I prove, or disprove, this 100% though?

My car is still under the 3 months warranty given by the garage who sold it me so I shall be contacting them Monday to see what they want to do, trouble is they are not local to me.

Edit:
I just found the video on here....
https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....wer-remove-your-hpfp-2-0-tfsi-engines.454801/

So I can check the fuel pump follower but not the actual cams, I would have to remove the rocker for that.

It does say that this problem was fixed by Seat, at the factory in 2006? Mine is 2008 so would I be safe or not?

Thanks in advance
No mate all tfsi engines need the cam follower changing at least every 20k miles or fewer if the car is remapped.

Mines 2007 and I have cam follower

By removing the fuel pump and follower you can shine a torch in and may be able to see a cam lobe to see if there is any scoring to it but the correct method should to remove the rocker cover.

Iam not saying this is the fault with your car as it could be a whole host of other issues but petrol smell in the oil and higher than usual fuel use can be signs of damaged camshaft lobes.

Last edited:

jonny87

Aug 2, 2019
20190908_151639.jpg
No mate all tfsi engines need the cam follower changing at least every 20k miles or fewer if the car is remapped.

Mines 2007 and I have cam follower

By removing the fuel pump and follower you can shine a torch in and may be able to see a cam lobe to see if there is any scoring to it but the correct method should to remove the rocker cover.

Iam not saying this is the fault with your car as it could be a whole host of other issues but petrol smell in the oil and higher than usual fuel use can be signs of damaged camshaft lobes.

Brimful

I removed the fuel pump today, there is deffo some pickup on the
20190908_151639.jpg
but I do not know if it wareants changing. From what I have read, the tolerances are super small on these units so any kind of wear would be detrimental.

The follower deffo needs changing, the hardness has worn through and has some pickup on the sides too. I will buy a new one this week.

The only way I can imagine fuel getting into the oil in this area is if the shaft seal has gone around the plunger?

Anyway, see pics let me know your thoughts

20190908_151637.jpg
20190908_152337.jpg
20190908_151639.jpg
20190908_151637.jpg
20190908_152337.jpg
20190908_152326.jpg
20190908_152331.jpg

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
That follower defo needs to be changed sooner rather than later.

At least there is no hole punched through it thou.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Due a change but not a problem.

hpfp-cam-follower-tfsi-1024x768.jpg

You've no idea what the last one looked like though, could have gone stage 3 or 4 and they've just popped a fresh one in and hoped for the best.

Reactions: Brimfull

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
Due a change but not a problem.

hpfp-cam-follower-tfsi-1024x768.jpg

You've no idea what the last one looked like though, could have gone stage 3 or 4 and they've just popped a fresh one in and hoped for the best.
That would be exactly my worry as well , especially if there is no history of previous followers being changed

jonny87

Aug 2, 2019
Guys, if you click on one of the photos of the cam and zoom right in you will be able to see the pickup.

I am going to the dealers tomorrow, will show them the photos and see what they say. Will order new follower at the same time.

But in any case if the cam is slightly worn this wont give me fuel in oil. Car was serviced before I took delivery, at the very least I hope that meant an oil change so it should be fresh.

Ive read quite alot about this now across the various vag marqes and no one has come up with a definitive answer. Some people chalking it down to just one of those things but I am concerned about the fuel thinning out the oil reducing its lubricating properties.

Bore wash in short.

Dodgey shaft seal on HPFP maybe.
Bad injector, I would expect some other symptoms plus a general smell of fuel in engine bay, which there isnt.
Piston rings, again id expect other symptoms, misfire, bad starting, lack of power. I have none of these.

Someone mentioned thermostat/temp sensor, not a bad shout but mine gets up to temp as normal and self regulates very nicely so I dont think its those.

Running out of ideas :(

jonny87

Aug 2, 2019
Hi guys,

An update on my issue.....
I took the car for a decent drive last night and when I got to my destination I checked the oil and it DIDNT smell of fuel.
My mechanic friend gave the car a once over and we have put it down to short journeys and the car running rich on first start up possibly washing the bores whilst doing so.

In short he doesnt think there is an issue, phew!!

He did find that one of my rear springs is snapped clean in half and 2 of my wheels are badly buckled!!
Always something but I can deal with these issues

Thanks all for your input on this issue

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
Jonny87, have you noticed a really strong smell of fuel when leaving the car after switching off as well? Just something I've noticed on my 2009 Cupra, it's mapped but drinks fuel but really strong smell when getting out the car. Checked under the rear seat and doesn't smell at all, only on the outside.

jonny87

Aug 2, 2019
Jonny87, have you noticed a really strong smell of fuel when leaving the car after switching off as well? Just something I've noticed on my 2009 Cupra, it's mapped but drinks fuel but really strong smell when getting out the car. Checked under the rear seat and doesn't smell at all, only on the outside.

No mate, no smell of fuel anywhere inside or out of the car.

We did find that a hose coming from the rocker recirc valve going to the inlet manifold (maybe) is split and someone has tried to fix with gaffer tape. My mechanic told me this system is to do with cold starting/emissions so am thinking if there is unmetered air entering the system that may cause the ECU to overfuel?

I have read quite a few threads where people can smell fuel around various places of the car but I did not see any real solution

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I've got both. My oil smells of fuel and my car stinks of fuel when I get out of it. Never really paid much attention to either.

I know that Revo run it quite rich (for cooling) and my MPG and fuel trims agree. So I just put the fuel/oil down to short journeys and the smell when I get out down to extra fuelling (or my rusted Milltek exhaust).

jonny87

Aug 2, 2019
I've got both. My oil smells of fuel and my car stinks of fuel when I get out of it. Never really paid much attention to either.

I know that Revo run it quite rich (for cooling) and my MPG and fuel trims agree. So I just put the fuel/oil down to short journeys and the smell when I get out down to extra fuelling (or my rusted Milltek exhaust).

I have read loads of threads on various forums regarding the oil smelling of fuel, 99% of them resulted in people putting it down to a charecteristic of the car and I saw no threads stating bore wash and engine failure so I guess we can do the same

Deleted member 103408

I would agree that Revo maps do run rich and when my injectors went the mechanic just advised me to make sure I did regular oil changes to keep the oil at its most protective.

Update, I also have a Ford Transit van and there is a bug in there software where the injectors stay open to long which in turn leads to oil level rising and oil quality being reduced.
There is a recall out to fix it with software patch but big surprise the latest version of the Van comes out with the same software bug.

Reactions: Legojon
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.