Paint defect on diamond cut part of alloy

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
I suppose the issue here is that that wheel should not have been allowed to "escape" the wheel manufacturer's production plant, also if SEAT goods incoming QC were doing their job they would have rejected it.

So, option (!) having that single drag of black paint getting trapped under the lacquer is okay by SEAT and so I'd not expect them to replace it and so a local dealer would just "do something" else with it if agreeing to replace.
(2) having that visual defect renders it not fit for sale, and SEAT will cover replacement.
(3) SEAT needed these wheels to maximise output of these cars so they were willing to take a chance to authorise the local dealers to sort that out after the sale.

I'd be a bit annoyed if any of my cars ended up being handed over with any visual defects, just shows that that dealer is being slack/sloppy and has been caught out. Having said that, if my dealer was just going to try to "better/improve" any small paint defect, I'd be getting alarmed enough to just settle for a cash adjustment if that could be forced out of them - as it is only you that is being expected to put up with this small defect.
My car was sat at the dealer from May until July when I arrived in the UK to accept delivery of the car.
They definitely don't have an excuse for missing it.

MiTz

Jul 23, 2018
I would definitely ask them to replace the wheel, I couldn't live with that from new.

Reactions: Kirky

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
IMG_20190909_094850-01.jpeg
IMG_20190909_094815-02.jpeg
I fell at the first hurdle. Arnold Clark SEAT Edinburgh have refused to even look at the car as I bought from a dealer in Sunderland. Basically said that all alloy wheel issues are damage and never warranty! I've emailed SEAT CS and the local dealer pics in the hope they change their mind.

MiTz

Jul 23, 2018
View attachment 9844 View attachment 9843 I fell at the first hurdle. Arnold Clark SEAT Edinburgh have refused to even look at the car as I bought from a dealer in Sunderland. Basically said that all alloy wheel issues are damage and never warranty! I've emailed SEAT CS and the local dealer pics in the hope they change their mind.

That's disappointing!

A friend of mine had trouble with a local Seat dealer here in Ireland, they were ignoring his calls and giving him the run around... He ended up calling head office and they sorted it out for him. So don't give up just yet. Stay polite and stick to your guns.

Reactions: Kirky

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
View attachment 9844 View attachment 9843 I fell at the first hurdle. Arnold Clark SEAT Edinburgh have refused to even look at the car as I bought from a dealer in Sunderland. Basically said that all alloy wheel issues are damage and never warranty! I've emailed SEAT CS and the local dealer pics in the hope they change their mind.
That’s a shockingly poor response to something that can clearly be seen as a defect and not damage; Arnold Clark generally get poor feedback on forums. You don’t have to return to the supplying dealer for warranty issues - you can use any Seat dealer, so the fact that Arnold Clark wouldn’t even look at your wheel is totally unacceptable.

If the lacquer surface isn’t broken or damaged then it’s clearly a manufacturing defect. I had two diamond cut alloys succumb to white worm corrosion around the centre caps on my previous VW. The wheels were replaced under warranty without question.

Hopefully, Seat CS will handle the issue better. Please keep us updated.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
My car was sat at the dealer from May until July when I arrived in the UK to accept delivery of the car.
They definitely don't have an excuse for missing it.

I'd think that the amount of time they held that car makes no difference to if they should or should not have noticed this, every car will just get a quick look over when accepted from the transporter company, then again at PDI, whatever happens at PDI other than a quick application of a paint sealant and plates, my daughter's Cupra hung around from that same period in time and was handed over with many logged faults still held in memory, something I need to clear using VCDS as arranging a visit for that is not a good use of her time.

Any SEAT main dealer other than the supplying one, would take that approach in this sort of thing as they would just be picking up/clearing up someone else's mess for very little reward and too much time, I think that the going rate agreed between VW Group and their dealerships for labour is nothing like the rate that they are recommended to charge customers of the service etc department - if that was not the case, and it was a straight forward warranty repair job, ie a mechanical failure, I'm sure that AC SEAT Seafield would have taken that task on, especially if you intended to use them as your preferred SEAT service workshop.

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
I'd think that the amount of time they held that car makes no difference to if they should or should not have noticed this, every car will just get a quick look over when accepted from the transporter company, then again at PDI, whatever happens at PDI other than a quick application of a paint sealant and plates, my daughter's Cupra hung around from that same period in time and was handed over with many logged faults still held in memory, something I need to clear using VCDS as arranging a visit for that is not a good use of her time.

Any SEAT main dealer other than the supplying one, would take that approach in this sort of thing as they would just be picking up/clearing up someone else's mess for very little reward and too much time, I think that the going rate agreed between VW Group and their dealerships for labour is nothing like the rate that they are recommended to charge customers of the service etc department - if that was not the case, and it was a straight forward warranty repair job, ie a mechanical failure, I'm sure that AC SEAT Seafield would have taken that task on, especially if you intended to use them as your preferred SEAT service workshop.

After this morning's call I definitely will not be using them for any servicing etc that's for sure. Their response was unacceptable and unprofessional.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
That’s a shockingly poor response to something that can clearly be seen as a defect and not damage; Arnold Clark generally get poor feedback on forums. You don’t have to return to the supplying dealer for warranty issues - you can use any Seat dealer, so the fact that Arnold Clark wouldn’t even look at your wheel is totally unacceptable.

If the lacquer surface isn’t broken or damaged then it’s clearly a manufacturing defect. I had two diamond cut alloys succumb to white worm corrosion around the centre caps on my previous VW. The wheels were replaced under warranty without question.

Hopefully, Seat CS will handle the issue better. Please keep us updated.

I must say that I personally considered AC to be not too good going by what others even at work were saying, but mainly that I think was due to people buying second hand cars at a very low price and with too long a loan repayment period, add into that why some/most of these cars were popping up second hand on their forecourts. My daughter used them to source a new door mirror - and the parts guy fitted it there and then, next I used them when my "more preferred" local SEAT dealer closed and failed to sort out a tricky issue on her next car which was about 8 years old at the time, AC SEAT Seafield came up trumps there, so even although they seemed to not bother checking/clearing logged faults prior to handover, ie a late PDI, I've found that at least the service side might be a lot better than I had been lead to believe! Years back, if it was a rainy day and you wanted some entertainment, wandering around their Citroen showroom and arguing with the Irish showroom manager could be called amusing if you were really stuck for something to do! I only discovered that by accident when helping older daughter to find her first proper car, that event did fill her with dread with the prospect of repeating that drama when buying a new Leon Cupra - but AC SEAT Seafield had the colour she wanted so she dragged her BF down to help her and it all went off easily maybe even with her dealing with a female sales person - who keeps trying to get her to confirm that everything is okay, I think that daughter is stalling that reply until I clear the fault codes in case transport mode has not been disabled.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
After this morning's call I definitely will not be using them for any servicing etc that's for sure. Their response was unacceptable and unprofessional.

The problem becomes, just how far are you willing to travel to get better service - Earlston shut down, so that leaves Stirling, who used to be okay but maybe not now, or Kirkcaldy - daughter used to use the Fife place when they were in Glenrothes so they might be the place to use, most people do not have spare annual leave days to throw away to get the car serviced normally.

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
The problem becomes, just how far are you willing to travel to get better service - Earlston shut down, so that leaves Stirling, who used to be okay but maybe not now, or Kirkcaldy - daughter used to use the Fife place when they were in Glenrothes so they might be the place to use, most people do not have spare annual leave days to throw away to get the car serviced normally.
Fife is exactly who I'll be using. Distance doesn't bother me if the service is good.

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Update:

AC SEAT Edinburgh got back in contact after looking at the pics I emailed them and decided they would see the car. Took the car in and they said it was a warranty claim but as they'd never had a wheel warranty claim before and I didn't buy the car from them they weren't willing to take the risk of SEAT disagreeing with their local warranty expert. So the only way they'd do the warranty claim is for me to buy the wheel and be refunded when SEAT make a decision in my favour.
So because I cannot be arsed messing around I'm now £633 out of pocket with an angry wife until SEAT make a decision on my wheel.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Update:

AC SEAT Edinburgh got back in contact after looking at the pics I emailed them and decided they would see the car. Took the car in and they said it was a warranty claim but as they'd never had a wheel warranty claim before and I didn't buy the car from them they weren't willing to take the risk of SEAT disagreeing with their local warranty expert. So the only way they'd do the warranty claim is for me to buy the wheel and be refunded when SEAT make a decision in my favour.
So because I cannot be arsed messing around I'm now £633 out of pocket with an angry wife until SEAT make a decision on my wheel.
I wonder if AC Edinburgh read this forum?

If Seat don’t make a decision in your favour, you could always sell the wheel with the defect to recoup some of your financial outlay on the new wheel. They ought to do the right thing though, and agree to reimburse you. Assuming they will, I wonder what they’ll do with the defective wheel? - sell it as a ‘seconds’ or get it refurbished and sell it as a refurbished wheel or something else?

Reactions: Legojon

MiTz

Jul 23, 2018
Update:

I can't see why they won't reimburse you, it's an obvious defect and they said themselves, in their opinion it's a warranty claim. I don't think it's worth the bad publicity... Always stay nice and polite, until they force you not to be... Social media is a powerful thing !

Good luck

Reactions: MXP2090

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Did any of you guys ever have a look on the forum that was set up to let all AC customers who were aggrieved publicly say their bit, quite funny, but it eventually got shut down.

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
UPDATE:
Cancelled the wheel order on the advice of SEAT CS. Received a full refund. SEAT CS told me I should not be out of pocket while they determine if it's warranty or not.
Should hopefully get a courtesy car while the wheel is being investigated. Will find out tomorrow.

A9BNL

Mar 6, 2019
UPDATE:
Cancelled the wheel order on the advice of SEAT CS. Received a full refund. SEAT CS told me I should not be out of pocket while they determine if it's warranty or not.
Should hopefully get a courtesy car while the wheel is being investigated. Will find out tomorrow.
That's shocking service you received from AC, I am now worried that i took out a service plan with them. I am sure that i have seen you in Edinburgh, do you use Regent Road much as i seen same colour as yours heading up towards town centre as i was turning down towards abbeyhill. I took a double take as you don't see many Cupras on the road. I didn't have time to wave.

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
That's shocking service you received from AC, I am now worried that i took out a service plan with them. I am sure that i have seen you in Edinburgh, do you use Regent Road much as i seen same colour as yours heading up towards town centre as i was turning down towards abbeyhill. I took a double take as you don't see many Cupras on the road. I didn't have time to wave.
I don't think that was me unless it was a few weeks ago. I tend to stay out of the centre if possible but I was driving in the centre a few weeks ago everyday until I decided the bus was probably better. I've only passed, that I've noticed, 2 blue 19 plate Cupras and a white older one. Maybe one of them was you? I've seen the 2 blue Cupras on various occasions and the white one only once.

The issue still isn't solved. They are still looking into how to keep me on the road while my wheel is inspected. Courtesy car has been ruled out due to it requiring 3 weeks! No idea why it takes 3 weeks to look at a wheel. I'm hoping the solution is that SEAT pay for the new wheel. No-one seems to have dealt with a wheel warranty claim before.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Just a crazy thought/option as Mytyres are delivering a set of 18" winter wheels and tyres today for my older daughter's Cupra (and no doubt they will get stored in my garage until her garage is rebuilt!), if you have ever considered buying winter wheels and tyres, now would be the time, then AC could have that wheel for as long as they need without causing you any problems. Winter up here in Scotland will turn these diamond cut finish wheels into something that will look nasty within a couple of years and the Conti's that SEAT fit to these 19" wheels don't get a very good/safe name when used in cold weather/ice/snow. It was possibly the last thing that my daughter needed to do was spend another £1.5+ on winter wheels and tyres, but seeing as she has had all season tyres on her previous car since she came back to UK, she kind of likes the way these work in Scottish winters when getting to work and back with minimum disruption/incident is added to the new issue with these cars only being available with diamond cut finish wheels.

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Just a crazy thought/option as Mytyres are delivering a set of 18" winter wheels and tyres today for my older daughter's Cupra (and no doubt they will get stored in my garage until her garage is rebuilt!), if you have ever considered buying winter wheels and tyres, now would be the time, then AC could have that wheel for as long as they need without causing you any problems. Winter up here in Scotland will turn these diamond cut finish wheels into something that will look nasty within a couple of years and the Conti's that SEAT fit to these 19" wheels don't get a very good/safe name when used in cold weather/ice/snow. It was possibly the last thing that my daughter needed to do was spend another £1.5+ on winter wheels and tyres, but seeing as she has had all season tyres on her previous car since she came back to UK, she kind of likes the way these work in Scottish winters when getting to work and back with minimum disruption/incident is added to the new issue with these cars only being available with diamond cut finish wheels.
I am planning on getting a different set of wheels. Just need to set the funds aside and convince the wife!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.