Not a Cupra, Now a Leon FR ST Black Edition

Loadmaster748

Roll on summer.....
Aug 2, 2019
Surrey, UK
Hey guys, a few weeks back when I introduced myself as a new member I was planning to become a new Cupra owner. However, plans change and evolve due to the family fleet requirements and basically it'll be a Leon ST, Black Edition. I still want a reasonably sporty family wagon and I like the way it looks having seen one at my local dealer.

Downside of this is that I won't have a Cupra, but the upside is that I keep my much loved E39 V8 for weekend hooning and shows etc.

Anyway, back to the Leon ST. All being well, I'll be ordering the petrol 1.5 TSI 150 (148BHP) and probably with the DSG box.

So, question is, what is this combination of this engine and DSG like, is it adequate for the ST? I don't want nor need rocket ship performance, but I have read that's a reasonably potent mix and no slouch.

Then, here I've read of issues with the 1.5 TSI engine but there are differing opinions also.

Please help, I would really appreciate the forum's input from members with these engines.

Thanks.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
From memory I think the ST is 45kg heavier than the 5 door, so you'll probably not notice the extra weight...

...or go second hand and get a Cupra ST anyway ;)

But then a Cupra isn't going to live up to a V8...

Loadmaster748

Roll on summer.....
Aug 2, 2019
Surrey, UK
From memory I think the ST is 45kg heavier than the 5 door, so you'll probably not notice the extra weight...

...or go second hand and get a Cupra ST anyway ;)

But then a Cupra isn't going to live up to a V8...
The Cupra will be quicker than my V8, but it has a whole lot more sound and presence!

The ST needs to be new and I can get the FR 150 Black on the road for just over £18k.

Reactions: Damo H

womble68

Aug 8, 2009
Bebington, Wirral
Only thing I'm aware of is that the lower powered versions only have a torsion beam for the rear suspension. If this bothers you the higher powered ones come with a multi-link which means it hold the road better. Admittedly this does depend if they are still available, with this model in its last year (hence the black edition run out model) it looks like they've reduced the engine options from what I remember glancing last time I was in a dealer.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Loadmaster748

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I have the engine/gearbox combination on a MY19 A3 (assuming that the Leon has the 7sp?); this replaced the 2.0 tdi 150 ps manual FR.

The gearbox is a dry clutch version (compared to the wet clutch 7sp in the Cupra). It can be a little bit jerky when cold, especially with engine in dynamic (aka sport), and gearbox in sport (common problem across all VAG forums, and 18 months later VAG still haven’t offered a fix - definitely feels like flat spots in the map low in the rev range); in this combination it also has a tendency to hold 4th gear for too long once 60-70 mph cruise has been achieved. It’s reasonably nippy, but needs to be worked quite hard to achieve the performance. Mid to high 30s mpg are not great, when the Leon it replaces would achieve mid to high 50s for the same style of driving.

FR equipment levels are very good compared to other cars in the price range, and after 5yrs/100k miles the interior was in great condition.

If you need the estate boot, then the optional boot net is worth c.£150 to allow you to load up to the headlining.

womble68

Aug 8, 2009
Bebington, Wirral
I got told about the bootnet after I sold my leon st fr 184. Gutted as the cupra I'm buying doesn't have one and I didn't realise they were so expensive, but then I never used it so it wasn't exactly a major loss just sounds so expensive for a simple net.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I got told about the bootnet after I sold my leon st fr 184. Gutted as the cupra I'm buying doesn't have one and I didn't realise they were so expensive, but then I never used it so it wasn't exactly a major loss just sounds so expensive for a simple net.

My Cupra ST replaced an Octavia VRS wagon, so the net was a must to make up for the reduction in size. They are standard on Ford Focus / Volvo estates, so can’t understand why they are not standard on UK spec VAG cars.

The expense isn’t just the net; it’s the different headlining, anchor points in the roof, anchor points on the back seats and anchor points between the rear wells. I looked into retrofitting my VRS whilst based in Germany (where it’s standard) and it was going to cost €500+ and we weren’t even sure if some of the parts were factory only (the parts guys in German dealerships are great) so definitely worthwhile buying it when new.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019
The 1.5 dsg is a 150 engine and very smooth whatever the temperature.
It skips through the gears so smoothly you don't realise what gear it's in until you check on the screen.
Mine flies tbh and why I never got one before I don't know. Dsg all day long!

Loadmaster748

Roll on summer.....
Aug 2, 2019
Surrey, UK
Only thing I'm aware of is that the lower powered versions only have a torsion beam for the rear suspension. If this bothers you the higher powered ones come with a multi-link which means it hold the road better. Admittedly this does depend if they are still available, with this model in its last year (hence the black edition run out model) it looks like they've reduced the engine options from what I remember glancing last time I was in a dealer.

Which model is in it's last year? Guess you mean the mk3 ST?

Deleted member 103408

MK3 Leon is due to be replaced in 2020 with MK4, The Cupra models will also be moving away from SEAT and become a separate brand in its own right (its started already).

thebrief1979

Dec 1, 2017
Worcester
I have the 184st fr - fantastic engine - it’s a 6speed dsg- they didn’t do a black as such when I got mine but it was an ex demo with all options available- but that still wasn’t enough so I added some cupra magic

Attachments

• 1B0970E9-D6CF-4AEF-BE36-C86A1EDA3D5E.png
    1B0970E9-D6CF-4AEF-BE36-C86A1EDA3D5E.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 120
  • 865B94DB-5501-47E3-890D-E1C4166E4883.png
    865B94DB-5501-47E3-890D-E1C4166E4883.png
    695.9 KB · Views: 107
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise