R tech no longer doing 1.8t maps

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I was at Cadwell recently and saw a brand new Aston Martin, Couple 19 Plate Passat and have certainly seen a few new Hyundai being driven hard, I suspect that a lot of these cars are on Lease deals so owners do not care about looking after the motor just rag it for two years and hand it back.

Wouldn't that be against the terms of the agreement?

g60stu

Feb 9, 2003
Reading
Wouldn't that be against the terms of the agreement?
I went to a track day last month and there was at least one Mk3 Cupra impressively flying round the track. He had black taped the number plates. It was a lease car with no track insurance. Some people don’t care or don’t think.

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
Yes that's the thing. Track insurance is so expensive and when you're hooning it it's very easy to say goodbye to all your hard work on the car.

A friend of a friend had an RS4 a few years back and took it to the track. He lost control and fully side swiped his own car. Then he got another RS4 (lease or hired it can't remember) and yes you guessed it, he smashed that on track too. He had a £30k bill before everything else. Unbelievable.

Think video still on you tube somewhere.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I went to a track day last month and there was at least one Mk3 Cupra impressively flying round the track. He had black taped the number plates. It was a lease car with no track insurance. Some people don’t care or don’t think.

Ah right, I was wondering how they got track insurance without the lease company knowing. Which is fine till they take out someone else's pride and joy without the insurance to cover it.

Deleted member 103408

On the track days I go to you pay for your own car regardless of fault so you don't need insurance to cover other peoples damage (that is the risk they take). I would not be surprised at all if it was against the lease terms to track the car but I am afraid people dont care and happy to take the chance.

On a positive note I still love seeing the MK1 on the track they do leave a fair few so called hot hatch cars standing still :)

Reactions: Sparkie and Legojon

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
On a positive note I still love seeing the MK1 on the track they do leave a fair few so called hot hatch cars standing still :)

I agree. They still look great don't they? Back in 2003 they stood out a mile and I had to have one. Looking back it was sooo much car for so little money. 18k for probably second quickest car of that era (hot hatch) complete with that front end and Brembos etc etc. Great car

seatturbopower

Aug 1, 2012
birmingham
Yes that's the thing. Track insurance is so expensive and when you're hooning it it's very easy to say goodbye to all your hard work on the car.

A friend of a friend had an RS4 a few years back and took it to the track. He lost control and fully side swiped his own car. Then he got another RS4 (lease or hired it can't remember) and yes you guessed it, he smashed that on track too. He had a £30k bill before everything else. Unbelievable.

Think video still on you tube somewhere.

That's a massive bill there jezzzzz!!! seing the price of the cupra r out the now dose seem abit of a steal.....for what you get I think but its very good moneys...BUT you buy a cupra r for say 2.5k if nothing has been changed then and your looking to modify the car well.....new injector seals,exhuast system, pads and disc,rear capilers?? all front bushes and prob top mounts with nut and bolts,pvc system to be taken out, over check the hoses, thermostats (possibly)new turbo as its probably gone or is going, timing belts ect and there's nothing to mention of even mapping it yet!!!So they can be costly.
of course some of the things ive listed may/may not be needed and might see over the top to some but its worth thinking about and all have been changed...the list goes on.
On a side note the respect on the nurburing was pretty shocking I thought and 9 time out of 10 I just let them go on by im not gonna run the risk smashing it up,just to go abit quicker, where as in the uk im pretty much the same on track but ill push it abit more now I know the car even better, id say 80-90% but enough for me to know my limits id not take the piss anyway.
Donny was a good track I found and really enjoyed it local as well. After having some tuition last Sunday from a ex racer over in pembury race track in wales it was worth the lesson really opend my eyes and learned in how to use the track and where to look, really interesting!!just a shame it was such a long way away but good fun!!!they handle well once lowered and 15mm rear spacers!

Reactions: DOLBY

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
That's a massive bill there jezzzzz!!! seing the price of the cupra r out the now dose seem abit of a steal.....for what you get I think but its very good moneys...BUT you buy a cupra r for say 2.5k if nothing has been changed then and your looking to modify the car well.....new injector seals,exhuast system, pads and disc,rear capilers?? all front bushes and prob top mounts with nut and bolts,pvc system to be taken out, over check the hoses, thermostats (possibly)new turbo as its probably gone or is going, timing belts ect and there's nothing to mention of even mapping it yet!!!So they can be costly.
of course some of the things ive listed may/may not be needed and might see over the top to some but its worth thinking about and all have been changed...the list goes on.
On a side note the respect on the nurburing was pretty shocking I thought and 9 time out of 10 I just let them go on by im not gonna run the risk smashing it up,just to go abit quicker, where as in the uk im pretty much the same on track but ill push it abit more now I know the car even better, id say 80-90% but enough for me to know my limits id not take the piss anyway.
Donny was a good track I found and really enjoyed it local as well. After having some tuition last Sunday from a ex racer over in pembury race track in wales it was worth the lesson really opend my eyes and learned in how to use the track and where to look, really interesting!!just a shame it was such a long way away but good fun!!!they handle well once lowered and 15mm rear spacers!

Ive done pretty much everything you mentioned and a load more. Grands investde. I must be mad.
The car I bought only had 49k on it too. Everything needed changing.
Now its a great track car mainly but still used on road on occasion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Deleted member 103408

+1 but its worth it.

And as you have kindly taken me round the track in yours I can confirm it was worth all the money you spent on it (and more since).

Its a simple addiction that some of us suffer with and the only cure it to take the car out on the track and enjoy it :)
For others it's take it to a show and let the others see what is possible.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
+1 but its worth it.

And as you have kindly taken me round the track in yours I can confirm it was worth all the money you spent on it (and more since).

Its a simple addiction that some of us suffer with and the only cure it to take the car out on the track and enjoy it :)
For others it's take it to a show and let the others see what is possible.

Cheers
Still toying with Forging it.
LSD is going to go in over winter so that’ll be like a new map.
More moola!

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
thought I would let the 1.8t lads know of this, it was a bit gutting to here but I heard it from the horses mouth when I called.
Starting my build soon and they were one of reasons I was starting as they are 20mins away.
Looks like I’ll have to travel and go badger5 which I know are great but shame I got to travel now.

why not try DynoDaze who are just around the corner from RTech?

Damien Wood

Aug 28, 2018
why not try DynoDaze who are just around the corner from RTech?
Those lads are really great, I have spoken to them but they recommend r tech at the time but I think they will get into other cars soon, not just the jap. I have a feeling that company will take off to another level soon.

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
Thing is with R Tech it's a truly custom map. Niki knows the engines so well and actually takes time on them. To try and give you the best driving experience. For example if you have something that's weak he will try and maximise the cars potential in another way.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.